This apple spice dump cake is easy to throw together and creates a warm cinnamon coffee cake like dessert in no time at all. An easy Fall treat you’ll love.
We are all about easy dump cake recipes here on The Typical Mom and this apple spice cake dump cake is our latest creation! I guess you could call it a cross between an apple pie filling dump cake and a sort of coffee cake dump cake, it came out so good! (originally published 9/18, affiliate links present)
Filled with cinnamon and apples it is the perfect Fall dessert…..or year round really, let’s be honest.
I love dump cake recipes because they only require 3-5 ingredients which I can usually keep in my cupboards so if company shows up unexpectedly I have it all on hand to throw together.
This happened just the other day and I luckily had all the ingredients to make this easy pumpkin pudding cake recipe on hand….everyone loved that one!
This is all you need to make this layered apple spice dump cake
- Casserole dish – 9×13″ size
- Cooking spray to make it non stick
- Apple pie filling – make your own homemade pressure cooker apple pie filling or we’ve used this one
- Fresh apples aren’t recommended for this cake
- Dry cake mix
- Melted butter
- 1/2 cup nuts is great – I used walnuts but candied pecans would be good too
- Ice cream, whipped topping or whipped cream is great on top
- There is NO need for a mixing bowl when making this type of dessert. You just sprinkle, layer and bake.
You can see how it is somewhat layered inside of your 13×9 pan. I used a glass one but you could spray an aluminum baking pan too if that is all you had.
As with any dump cake there isn’t a lot of mixing, it just bakes all together in the oven.
There is usually just a little powder left on top from the muffin mix. Don’t worry too much about that. Once it is served up it’s not a big deal.
Just layer as directed and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it is somewhat firm in the middle. Served up immediately this apple spice dump cake is wonderful. Add just a bit of vanilla ice cream on top too for the perfect dessert.
It is quite sweet though so a small piece is all you need. Made as directed, it’s plenty for 8-12 people easily. Bring it to a potluck or for a holiday get together and it will be a hit.
All in all it is an easy apple cinnamon dump cake to make. It’s rather cheap to feed a bunch of people too which is usually important when you’re on a budget.
After you try this here are a few more desserts you will enjoy:
- Cinnamon roll breakfast casserole
- Blueberry pie filling dump cake cupcakes
- Instant Pot dump cake
- Pumpkin pie dump cake is amazing
Do you refrigerate dump cakes?
A dump cake can be served hot or cold, with or without whipped or ice cream. Most people prefer their dump cake to be served warm with some sort of topping. There is a slight appeal to a refrigerated texture though. It’s all about preference really. A leftover dump cake can definitely be stored for a couple of days in the refrigerator. I wouldn’t leave it out if there is some left. Just transfer it to an air tight container or put foil right over your pan to store.
How do you reheat dump cake?
- If you have smaller portions, I would microwave it on a plate. If you have an entire peach dump cake for example, then heat it in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until warm. Again, serve it with whipped cream or ice cream and it’s like new again!
Let us know what you think and if you added any other goodies inside!
Apple Spice Dump Cake
- Spray a 13x9 baking pan.
- Pour apple pie filling on bottom and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle cake mix portion of your cinnamon swirl cake mix on top of the apple pie filling and spread out evenly.
- Melt your butter and pour evenly on top of this cake mix.
- Then open the brown sugar bag in your cake mix box and sprinkle that on top spreading out evenly.
- Sprinkle nuts on the top if desired and put into oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Bake until golden brown on top and middle is starting to firm up, approx 50 minutes.