Air fryer sandwiches with ham or turkey turn out great. Toasted and warm with cheese on slider buns or sweet Hawaiian rolls, kids love these and our air fryer monte cristo!
Sandwiches in air fryer are so so good. Served as a warm appetizer, lunch or even a finger food dinner you can change them up all sorts of different ways. Using lunchmeat or leftover turkey after the holidays works great. Just one of many easy air fryer recipes on our site. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Sandwiches
I do have a few different brands of machines at home. If you have a Foodi you would use the air crisp function to make these. If you’re making these as a leftover ham recipe you’ll want to slice it thin so it warms up thru to the middle.
You can keep them dairy free without cheese, keep them plain or use your favorite sauce beyond just dijon. Basically anything can be layered inside but I would leave what should stay cold out. Once you take them out you can lift the lids and add that like lettuce or a dollop of coleslaw.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Air Fryer Ham Sandwich
You may have made these in the oven before. It is an easy appetizer that guests love and is so easy to prep for the host. If you want the fastest method just buy a bag of attached rolls like you see here, sliced cheese and lunch meat of your choice.
- 24 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- or slices of bread if making grilled cheese
- Slices of ham, turkey, roast beef or corned beef thinly sliced
- 12 slices of the type of cheese of your choice such as; American cheese, provolone, Swiss etc…. cut in half
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tsp dijon mustard, or sriracha mayo is yummy too
- Poppy seeds are optional but kinda’ makes them “fancier”
- Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
You just need a knife to slice the package of bread in half so you can stuff the middle full of all the things y’all. Depending on the size of your basket you should be able to fit 4-6 in at a time.
Leftover Ham and Cheese Sliders
If you are using leftover precooked meat that is great. You will want to slice it as thin as possible so all pieces are the same thickness and warm to the center. Put on a plate with a few tbsp beef broth to warm a bit and moisten back up. The spread inside is up to you but there is a suggestion below that is awful yummy.
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, Dijon mustard, poppyseeds, Worcestershire sauce, and onion powder. Set aside.
- Slice the package of rolls in half after removed.
- Place the bottoms on the baking sheet. On top of the roll bottoms, create layers of ham and cheese. Add the tops of the rolls.
- Separate the sandwiches apart where they are perforated.
- Place the prepared sliders into the air fryer in a single layer with a small space between them to allow the hot air to circulate.
- leave cold items off for now like lettuce, coleslaw or otherwise. Add those after warmed ideally.
- You can brush the butter mixture over the tops to brown and add more flavor.
- Air fry for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese has melted, and the sandwiches are lightly browned on top.
These are best when served right out of the machine warm. If you have a larger crowd you can either work in rotations serving when done, or place on a baking sheet when done and put into the oven to keep warm at 200 degrees.
Now if you just wanted to use plain old sandwich bread you could certainly do that as well. Air fryer grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are always a hit at our house mid day for sure.
- For that just butter one side of each piece of white bread.
- Preheat to 360 F and when warm place butter side down with 1 piece.
- Layer your filling with the 2nd slice on top with butter side facing up.
- Air fry your ham grilled cheese sandwich this way for about 6 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. NO need to flip this thing.
Ham Sliders with Poppy Seeds
You don’t have to add the additional toppings but as you can see here it adds a little punch for prettiness and I mean melted butter makes everything taste better. If you do have leftover air fryer ham and cheese sandwiches, wait until they cool and wrap in plastic wrap. Warm the next day in the same machine for 2 minutes.
Air Fryer Sub Sandwiches
These are great for meatball subs too if you like. You will only be able to fit one long hoagie style roll in there. Fill with thawed frozen meatballs inside, then spoon enough jarred spaghetti sauce over the top of them. Lay slices of cheese on the very top. Use the same timing and temp listed below until warmed and cheese is melted and a bit browned.
If you have ever had a toasted meatball sub from Subway this is just like that!! I mean it is even better because you can make the meat from scratch, make the sauce spicy, and add whatever type of cheese you want. Customized lunch for sure.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Sandwiches
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F for 5 minutes. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, Dijon mustard, poppyseeds, Worcestershire sauce, and onion powder. Set aside.
- Slice the rolls in half. Place the bottoms on the baking sheet. On top of the roll bottoms, create layers of ham and cheese. Add the tops of the rolls.
- Separate the sandwiches apart where they are perforated. Place the sliders into the air fryer in a single layer with a small space between them to allow the hot air to circulate.
- Brush the butter mixture over the tops. Air fry for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese has melted, and the sandwiches are lightly browned on top.