Slow cooker taco meat is great for a large group on taco Tuesdays! Add diced tomatoes, seasonings and ground beef together, then keep warm until you’re ready to eat. If you loved our air fryer ground beef tips, this is how to cook taco meat in a Crockpot!
Slow cooker taco meat is a cheap meal that can feed a crowd. Adults and kids love tacos of every kind, this way you can set it and forget it while your guests serve up a few and enjoy during your next get together or party. Just one of many easy Crockpot recipes on our site. (affiliate links present)
Crockpot Taco Meat
There are TWO ways to make this. I have instructions for the one where you brown the meat first but you can also follow our Crockpot ground beef instructions first. Then once it is done you will add all of the below ingredients and decrease the cook time by half.
I think this way is less work overall since you just prep at the beginning and just let it sit for the last few hours. You could easily double this if you had a large enough pot if you are need an easy Super Bowl meal.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Easy Crockpot Taco Meat Recipe
Can you overcook ground beef in a Crockpot? Yes you can. Since the meat is already cooked and you’re just keeping it warm and allowing it to absorb the sauces around it you don’t need it ON for long. Switching it to warm will allow it to not become cold but not keep cooking either. If you have a pot like mine it will do it automatically.
If you want to really stock up like we do you can buy ground beef online (+ get free meat when you do) and never have to shop for that again.
- I like to add enchilada sauce, mild, to add a bunch of flavor
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles is the best
- Throw in some onions for texture and flavor
- Taco seasoning makes it easier since it’s all mixed together
- If you want a layer of melted cheese on top sprinkle some on top 30 min. before serving
I grab a bag of Mexican cheese blend at the store and just use that. It’s great for this and our Instant Pot taco pasta dish. Yes you can shred it yourself but I am talking when you are in a hurry and barely have enough energy to finish the day off y’all.
Taco Meat in a Crockpot
Many brands offer an option where you can set the food inside and not start cooking until you want it to. This is a great option for this since the meat isn’t raw so you don’t risk it growing bacteria as it sits. Since there is such a short cook time you can leave it and have the timing start an hour later or so.
When you’re ready for delicious taco meat to serve it will be there. Just brown about 2 pounds of meat or ground turkey works, add your bottled or homemade taco seasoning and canned tomato products, cover and cook. Slow cooking really brings out the flavors in the ground meat.
I normally don’t suggest ever to cook on high, for this I don’t think it makes a huge difference. Typically meat in a Crock is best to set on low and slow to really absorb all the flavors inside.
Crock Pot Taco Meat
There is a printable recipe card with nutritional information such as saturated fat, calories etc. below. Keep in mind that all store bought proteins will vary in their fat content so refer to your package for accurate measurements on that. This is basically how it’s made though.
- Brown your ground beef and onions in a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil. Stop when outsides are lightly browned. Sprinkle in taco seasoning and garlic powder, stir in with your meat. Pour all of this into your slow cooker.
- Top with the can of diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce. Stir so it is all coated.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour on high or 2 hours on low, then set to keep warm while serving.
- If you want to add a layer of cheese to the top do this 30 minutes before it is done to give that a chance to melt. Then serve.
If you’re making a taco salad you’ll want a variety of items to serve this with. Tortilla chips, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, pico de gallo salsa and/or salsa verde are just the basics. If you want more than one type of protein you could make a batch of carne asada Crock Pot meat so you could add both.
How to cook taco meat in a Crockpot
We cook a lot of meat in the slow cooker because it comes out so well. This is just the beginning if you are new to this way of cooking. The best easy recipe we make on an almost weekly basis would be our 5 ingredient Crockpot chili. You could use any leftovers from this in that for sure!
Another idea? Lay a layer of this on the bottom of our Jiffy Mexican cornbread with ground beef and bake together. A feel good Southern comfort meal for sure that one is.
Once you want to go beyond ground meat, I would suggest trying to cook other options for tacos like Crockpot frozen chicken for chicken taco meat. This surprisingly comes out well whether it is rock hard or defrosted to begin with. Shred it easily with 2 forks with a jar of salsa for added flavors. You could cook both so people have options.
We do like that added layer of cheese, but we add this to just about everything we can. When it melts on top it becomes an ooey gooey creation that can be layered on top of chips for nachos, inside taco shells or soft tortillas. Then add the cold toppings on top of all of that.
If you do have some left, allow it to cool to room temperature first. Then scoop it out and into airtight containers or freezer bags. Keep in the fridge and reheat in the next 2-3 days in the microwave for about 1 minute. It makes for a great leftover taco meat recipes the next day (if there is any left). A protein packed and pure comfort food in a bowl.
Best Taco Meat
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Slow Cooker Taco Meat
- Brown ground beef and onions in a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil until outside is browned. Sprinkle in taco seasoning and garlic powder, stir in with meat. Pour into slow cooker.
- Top with can of diced tomatoes with green chiles and enchilada sauce. Stir so it is all coated.
- Cover and cook (warm together) for 1 hours on high or 2 hours on low, then set to keep warm while serving. If you want to add a layer of cheese to the top do this 30 minutes before it is done to give that a chance to melt. Then serve.