Crockpot chicken taco meat is great for meal prepping or made in large batches and frozen for later use. With a few ingredients you’ll have a yummy meal.
Crockpot chicken taco meat is the best for a throw together dinner! Either throw it together when you’re ready, or meal prep and make a bunch of freezer meals for months to come. Healthy and full of flavor, you’ll love this easy Crockpot recipe.
If you love easy chicken recipes, welcome to the club!
Pair that with a delicious slow cooker dinner and BAM you’re speaking our language too.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Shredded chicken is something we make quite often.
Yes we’ve made it in our Instant Pot too, but if you prefer low and slow cooking then this should be right up your alley.
This is what was thrown together to create this kid friendly meal. Here’s our guest blog post for today.
If you find chicken breasts on sale, or you buy bulk meat online, you can really make quite a few of these in a short amount of time.
There are directions if you want to store these healthy chicken freezer meals below too.
Chicken taco ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning mix
- Jar of salsa – or use fresh
- Ranch seasoning
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
Slow cooker chicken tacos are done
- Taco shells
- Soft corn or flour tortillas
1/2 cup of cheese per person (or so). We like to pile it on though so I don’t really measure. LOL. Mexican cheese mix is fantastic.
Yes you could double the recipe if you are batch cooking but you’d need a larger Crock to do so.
It’s a great recipe since it is super easy to throw everything together for a weeknight meal.
Crock pot chicken tacos
- First you might want to spray the inside of the pot with non stick spray, or use a liner.
- Put chicken on the bottom with all other ingredients on the top.
- or if you’ve already prepped it, just pour contents of defrosted bag into pot
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours
How do you know when shredded chicken is done?
- if you attempt to shred it with 2 forks and it is tough to do, it’s not done yet
- it should easily pull apart with little to no effort, if not then cook longer
- cooking on high doesn’t help, low and slow is better in my opinion
- Shred chicken with two forks
Serve as desired in homemade tortillas or on top of white rice.
Do you need an appliance to shred chicken? Well you can use your stand mixer if you have a lot to do.
You’d need to cool it a bit first though, wrap it in a towel and put it on low. Forks work just fine for every day batches like this though.
What do you eat with shredded chicken?
It is up to you how you serve them up really. If you’re going for a low carb dish then maybe it is all by itself with some veggies on the side.
This is typically what I have available on our taco bar or when we make air fryer flautas:
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Avocado if it is in season
What did we miss that you love to add to your shredded chicken taco recipe?
How long can you keep shredded chicken?
- We rarely have any left for a typically easy recipe such as this one but you can store leftover shredded chicken in airtight containers and have healthy meals for 3-4 days in the fridge, and up to 2 months in the freezer.
If you love meals like this, try a few of our Instant Pot taco recipes here too. We’ve made some with beef, ground beef and chicken too.
Chicken freezer meals
Here’s how you need to prep it before you throw them into the deep freeze to cook later:
- Place all ingredients into a Ziplock Freezer bag. Combine well.
- Label bag and include instructions on the outside.
- Reduce air inside the bag as much as possible before sealing.
- Lay flat on a cookie sheet in the freezer until solid.
Then you can remove them and stack in your freezer.
When you’re ready to use your meal prepped bag:
- Remove bag of frozen chicken.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Pour the contents of the bag into the crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Using our pepperoncini chickenis a great option with it too.
- Serve on homemade tortillas with your choice of toppings
Something else we make with some taco seasoning are these air fryer chickpeas! Have you tried these yet??
Shredded chicken recipes
- Here are a bunch of the best Crockpot chicken recipes to choose from.
- Our Crockpot chicken and rice is probably our favorite one.
- You can make boiled shredded chicken on the stovetop too.
- Shred and throw this into an air fryer burrito for dinner.
Recipes you might also like are:
- Our taco pasta, creamy and delicious with meat and noodles cooked together.
- Crockpot crack chicken uses cream cheese and is comfort food at it’s finest.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat
- In a bowl mix together your olive oil, broth, and seasonings. Mix together
- Place chicken breasts on bottom of slow cooker. Pour your seasoning mixture on top.
- Cover with lid and cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken can be shredded easily with 2 forks. (the thicker the breasts the longer it will take)
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and stir together with sauce so each piece is well coated.
- Serve inside small tortillas with lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream etc..