This is how to make the best Instant Pot taco meat with ground beef plus 4 other ways to make Instant Pot tacos you will love. Get ready for dinner on Tuesdays or any other day of the week!
We are all about taco Tuesdays and love a good rotation of different flavors and meats, this is how to make our ground beef Instant Pot taco meat! Of course you can use ground turkey as well but you’ll get the idea either way, these and 101+ other easy Instant Pot recipes are listed on The Typical Mom to make dinnertime easier! (originally published 10/18, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Taco Meat Frozen
It doesn’t matter what brand you have though. A crockpot express or Ninja Foodi will make all the same things. The latter just has an extra feature of air fry to crisp it at the end if you want but that typically isn’t necessary.
You can use fresh or defrosted hamburger or if you’re forgetful frozen works too. You would need to start with our Instant Pot frozen ground beef recipe first. Then proceed with the seasonings to make it taste amazing and saute together with a bit of broth.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot Taco Meat Large Batch
I love Instant Pot dinner recipes because I can cook dinner in less than 30 minutes! My pressure cooker allows me to cook more homemade meals for my family and for guests. If there’s a party happening you can easily double or triple the amounts below. Then set to keep warm for the next hour or two so people can serve themselves.
There are fewer dishes to wash since I can sauté and cook all in one pot too. I don’t have to heat up my whole house using the oven to cook a casserole or large piece of meat
What kind of meat is used for tacos?
The best meat to use for taco meat is a simple ground beef, a 70-80% lean variety. The fat is going to help give flavor to the meat and we are able to drain the grease prior to serving (or not).
Yes you can use this for the obvious. Throw it into some soft tortillas with cheese and lettuce for dinner, but that is just the beginning y’all. If you want a low carb option I would suggest spooning it into our air fryer zucchini boats too.
Pressure cooker taco meat
I swear, I never used to cook with onions a few years ago. They are so cheap for the amount of flavor and texture they give so now they’re a must. Omit the diced tomatoes if you wish but those lend a lot of flavor too.
How to make the best taco meat
- Do NOT overcook it! – I could just stop there, but I won’t. It is beef so you don’t need to stress out about it being pink like chicken or pork. So let there be a bare amount left.
Add flavor!! – I actually love taco seasoning and add a bit more than 1 oz. a lot of times. I like to let the meat sit in the sauce for a few minutes after it’s cooked so it can really soak up all that goodness.
- Don’t drain it- Ok so you don’t want it soaking in grease but don’t drain all the fat that cooks off when the pink is going away.
- That has flavor in it! If you use 80/20 you shouldn’t have to drain any if at all, and I prefer this to anything leaner, it’s got more flavor.
Load it up!! – I add onions, chiles and diced tomatoes…sometimes chives but if you love diced green peppers then add those with your onions too. Taco meat isn’t meant to be plain I say…..then load up the taco itself, oh my mouth is watering already……..
Taco Meat in Instant Pot
We keep our taco meat recipe fairly simple, and use what’s on hand. Feel free to add your own seasonings, or other diced veggies for taco night.
- 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi
- Packet of taco seasoning – or you can make your own homemade taco seasoning if you’d rather
Ground beef – or ground meat like turkey is fine too, this is how to cook frozen ground beef a number of different ways in case you forgot to thaw it out the night before. 😉
Instant Pot Taco Meat with Seasoning Packet
My family loves this served all different sort of ways. Want a keto and gluten free style, think about making lettuce wraps or a taco salad.
- Diced chiles -mild to hot are available, hatch chiles are amazing
- Diced tomatoes – Italian diced tomatoes is our choice, you can omit entirely but it brings a lot of flavor. Could substitute with chunky salsa as well.
Homemade flour tortillas for soft ground beef tacos are great. You can make this slow and low all day long as slow cooker taco meat too if you want, then make Instant Pot taco bowls with either one.
Instant Pot Taco Meat Pork
You could use a mix of half spicy ground pork and half hamburger too, a great mix. After you make these try our other 4 types of Instant Pot tacos so your family can make easy pressure cooker recipes each week and really enjoy them, here are a few more Instant Pot ground beef recipes too:
- We have a bunch of leftover taco meat recipes if you don’t eat it all, all will please everyone in your house
- This Instant Pot taco soup is a pantry recipe using cans of this and that
- Kid favorite Instant Pot chili mac is also something I love topped with lots of cheese.
Then try our Instant Pot carnitas that are out of this world and can be served on top of rice too, or in tortillas.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Taco Meat
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion diced
- 4 oz chiles diced, canned
- 1 oz taco seasoning packet or homemade mix
- 1/2 c diced tomatoes Italian style
- Set your Instant Pot to saute normal and add your ground beef.
- Break up into smaller pieces and add your diced onion.
- Dump in your can of diced chiles and cook (gently mixing) until ground beef is almost done, all pink is almost gone but there is still a little.
- Pour in your diced tomatoes, if you want to add those, and sprinkle in your taco seasoning.
- Gently stir to coat all meat and veggies.
- Immediately when pink is gone on your ground beef turn pot off and pour taco meat into a bowl to serve so meat doesn’t continue to cook in pot and dry out.
- Serve inside small tortillas with cheese, sour cream, avocado and other toppings.
Angela S. Nunez
Tuesday 23rd of October 2018
Made this just an hour ago using ground pork. Oh My Gosh! Yum!
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 24th of October 2018
Great with pork too!