Here is a really easy Instant Pot pork shoulder recipe you will love. Amazing barbecue pulled pork sandwiches made in your pressure cooker that even my little one loves. Juicy pork usually takes all day to get this tender but in your Instant Pot it takes less than a few hours to fall apart.
If you loved pulled pork sandwiches, here is a really easy Instant Pot pork shoulder recipe you will love! You can use pre-made barbecue sauce as the base or whip up a quick one with the recipe I have here. It’s one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
This is such an inexpensive meal, and so yummy too! If you’re looking for a Ninja Foodi recipe that pot will work just as well, no worries.
If by chance you’ve forgotten to defrost your meat, don’t fret! We even have instructions for Instant Pot frozen pork shoulder for you too.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork
Mix up a bit of sweet and savory rub for your pork shoulder and it is done, fall off the bone (if there is one) meat in just 90 minutes. This is why I love my pressure cooker so much.
Let me show you just how easy cooking pulled pork is using this method.
- This would take all day normally, and usually does when I make my pulled pork Crockpot recipe but not any longer.
I bet you have all the ingredients in your house already, other than the pork shoulder. So it’s really easy to throw together once you have that.
If you want a really quick way you can just use bottled barbecue sauce and a bottled already made rub. But I have an even better homemade recipe below that is super quick too.
- I love using my Instant Pot because it cuts the cooking time in at least half, usually less than that. To cook pork in a pressure cooker takes only about 90 minutes for a 5 lb. piece of meat cut in half.
- I’ve put it in whole too but cut in half comes out a bit more tender.
- You can use your Ninja Foodi to make this as well.
Put some on a bun topped with cole slaw and it’s a fantastic meal.
Instant Pot pork shoulder recipe
- Small bowl
- Pressure cooker
- 4-5 lb. pork shoulder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Spice mixture to rub on your pork
- Brown sugar
- Onion and garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Seasoned salt, we used Lawry’s
- Cole slaw – great to use for sliders, here’s an easy homemade recipe for cole slaw
- Hawaiian sweet rolls – we use these when making sliders, the best!
What is the best cut of pork for pulled pork?
The best roast is the shoulder. High in fat and connective tissue, the shoulder is also the most flavorful part of the hog. Pork shoulder is typically cut into two parts, the Boston Butt, and the Picnic Roast. You may see them called this too.
Here are the steps to follow, I recommend watching the video first though as it is a good example
- Mix together your dry seasonings and rub it all over your pork shoulder or pork butt, cut it in half so it becomes more tender when you pressure cook it.
- Then mix together sauce ingredients and pour half inside your pot
- Lay meat on top of that with remaining sauce poured on top
Some prefer to sear the outside of the meat first with some olive oil, I generally do not. If you do you MUST ensure that you deglaze your pot before continuing or you’ll get the burn notice.
- Close lid and turn steam valve to sealing.
- Set to high pressure for 90 minutes followed by a 10 – 15 minute natural release.
- Quick release isn’t recommended as you want the meat to be as tender as possible.
- Shred with fork, remove any chunks of fat, allow to sit in sauce while people serve themselves.
Everyone in our family loves this quick Instant Pot pork recipe. The flavorful cooking liquid you pour on the bottom of the pot permeates into each piece and makes it taste amazing.
It is great during the summertime when you don’t want to heat up your oven or use your bbq.
Looking for more Instant Pot pork recipes?
- Or make Instant Pot carnitas with green salsa some night
- Instant Pot Hawaiian pulled pork (seen above) makes for great sliders with easy rolls, or served over Instant Pot white rice
- Pressure cooker pork chop recipe and our dutch oven pork roast are fab
- This is how to cook a frozen pork loin in an Instant Pot
- Use your leftover pork in an Instant Pot casserole!
How can I eat pulled pork without bread?
Helpful if you are following a high protein and/or keto friendly diet.
- Tacos – fill it with your meat, avocado, sour cream etc
- Serve them on top of mashed potatoes
- Polenta is also a good alternative
- Added it inside of a batch of chili – great idea for leftover pulled pork
- Some like to add it to poached eggs, kimchi, or inside the potato cakes mixture
- Serve it inside a wrap with hummus
What do you serve with pulled pork??
Make a quick batch of Instant Pot vegetables to go with it if you want.
How long is leftover pulled pork good for?
Leftover pulled pork is the same as leftover ham or any other cooked meat. According to food safety guidelines, the safe storage life of these cooked meats is 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator if stored properly.
- This means you need to either wrap leftover inside tinfoil, or I prefer to keep it inside a freezer bag with the air removed so it doesn’t dry out.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Can you freeze leftover pulled pork?
Yes!! You can freeze the excess of a double or triple batch for future meals. This comes in handy if you are frequently short on time. Just store it properly inside airtight containers and you’ll have a quick and tasty meal for nights when you don’t have time to cook.
Here’s the printable recipe to follow
Instant Pot Pork Shoulder Recipe
- Mix together your ketchup, vinegar, and worcestershire sauce. Pour half of this into your pot.
- Mix together your spices and then rub it into your pork shoulder, top and bottom.
- Cut your pork shoulder in half and put it into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. (it comes out more tender when cut into smaller pieces)
- Pour the remaining sauce you made over your piece of pork and set your IP to manual, pressure, high, for 90 minutes (for 4.5 pounds this made it very easy to shred).
- Close steam valve.
- When done do a natural release for 10 minutes, then release rest of steam and carefully lift lid. Shred pork with 2 forks and serve on buns with coleslaw for sandwiches.