Here’s an easy slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe you’ll love! If you’ve never made crockpot chicken and dumplings with Bisquick biscuits or frozen dumplings is simple and only requires a few ingredients. Dump it all in and have a flavorful dinner ready that night.
Take a peek at this easy slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe and let me know what you think, it’s one of our favorite crockpot recipes. Homemade using Bisquick dumplings on top it is the best comfort food ever. (originally published 9/16, affiliate links present)
Slow cooker chicken and dumplings with frozen dumplings
Yes…I’m all about my slow cooker, especially when the school year begins again! When you’re busy with kids like we are it is nice to throw everything in your crockpot in the morning and know your warm meal will be there in the evening ready to eat.
Make your own mini biscuit bites with Bisquick or use frozen dumplings to make things even easier. I have even been known to buy ready made packaged gnocchi to use in there which has been a surprising hit with the kids.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Chicken and Dumplings with Canned Biscuits
Have you ever made chicken and dumplings in a Crockpot before?? It is a classic dish I bet your Grandmother made when you were a kid. I still remember it in a bowl when I visited Illinois every year. Guess I thought everyone had this bowlful of memories, maybe you do too.
If you’ve tried it on your stovetop you might see how you like it as it cooks all day all on it’s own. I have many different sizes of crockpots but for this and others that feed all of us + leftovers I like my large crockpot here .
They seriously last forever. Between this and my rice cooker I can make meals really quickly and feed all five of us fairly inexpensively too.
Lazy Day Chicken and Dumplings
Use as many veggies as you like but this is a good base, and you can add from there or omit items if you choose as well. Make your prep quicker by choosing items such as baby carrots in the bag that have already been peeled and cut as well as petite potatoes.
If you choose to do this yourself remember that the larger the pieces the more they will stay together. Too small and they may get mushy. I am very much a texture person so my chunks are quite large. In 7 hours time you can get away with just halving russet potatoes or throwing in petites as is after washing.
They won’t be bite size but will keep their shape as they cook and not completely fall apart. If you just love the whole casserole style of it then you may not care either way about this.
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
When it comes to meat you can use thighs or breasts really. I would spend a few more dollars to get either of them boneless skinless. Of course you can remove those two things yourself but it is a pain and usually worth the difference in price to just have it done already.
I will say that I have made this many many times and I’ll admit that thighs have become my favorite cut. With more flavor than the latter, cheaper, and more moist too it’s my go to now. Try both the next few times you make this and decide for yourself. You can mix and match seasonings too, poultry seasoning is a nice add in too.
Slow cooker chicken and dumplings
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- can use chicken thighs
- Cream of chicken soup
- or cream of mushroom soup is just fine
- Water or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder works soo
- You could alternatively cut refrigerated biscuits into quarters and add biscuit dough this way 30 minutes before cooking time end.
If you want a stiffer biscuit follow directions on Bisquick box and make small round biscuits the size of your thumb.
Bake until they just start to brown, then add to slow cooker 30 min. before then end, on low. You just want to meld chicken/soup with biscuits to soften them up a bit.
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Canned Biscuits
If you want to use a can of refrigerated biscuits you could. Just cut them into quarters and add to the top about 1/2 an hour before it is done. Spoon a bit of the hot liquid from the pot over the top and cook that way until they are no longer sticky.
If you like this try our other easy crock pot chicken recipes. They’re all great dinner on the table ideas for adults and kids alike. Comfort food x100 I tell you.
This saves really well too and is great for lunch the next day, I will talk about how to save it well later so stay tuned.
- Crockpot chicken cacciatore needs only a few simple ingredients
- Love this crockpot recipe for chicken enchilada soup with air fryer rolls
- Cheap salsa chicken crockpot recipe is always a win at our home
- I love these slow cooker cheesy potatoes any time of day though.
Bisquick chicken and dumplings
Now that we have a pressure cooker we’ve made a similar Instant Pot chicken and dumplings version too.
Here’s a quick step by step on how this is done. Biscuits are cooked in the liquid at the very end. You could alternatively just serve them on the side if you didn’t like the texture of them wet.
- Place your boneless skinless chicken, potatoes, carrots, and celery into your slow cooker. For easier cleanup spray the inside with non stick spray first.
- In a separate bowl whisk together your cans of condensed soup, water or broth, salt, and black pepper so it is smooth.
- Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- I would not suggest cooking on high, low is better to get very tender shredded chicken at the end.
Stir the bisquick baking mix and milk in a bowl. Drop the batter by small spoonful’s onto the chicken. Cook for 30 minutes on HIGH until they’re no longer sticky.
What if you have leftovers? Make sure you add as much of the sauce in your pot with your meat so it stays nice and moist. Airtight containers are a must too. Air is the enemy when it comes to saving food. It gets dried out and it is hard to revive it when you reheat the next day.
First off make sure your mixture is at room temperature. If you add it to a container hot and then throw it into your fridge you are at risk of bacteria growing. Freezer bags works just as well as Tupperware does too. Takes up less room in your cupboards and you can just throw them away at the end.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 5 medium chicken breast boneless skinless
- 2 medium potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots whole baby
- 2 celery diced
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 2/3 cup milk for dumplings
- 2 cups Bisquick
- Place chicken, potatoes, carrots, and celery into your slow cooker.
- In a bowl whisk together condensed soup, broth, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover, cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- In a separate bowl stir together the baking mix and milk in a bowl to make dough (follow directions on box to make dough). Drop the batter by small spoonfuls onto the chicken. Cover and cook for 30 more minutes on HIGH until they are no longer sticky and dumplings are cooked. Serve
Thursday 28th of October 2021
Instead o0f cutting up chicken breasts,,,I use pre-cooked cans of chicken. And use same rest if ingredients. Delicious!!!!!
Tuesday 26th of October 2021
This is not chicken and dumplings, This is just a farm of chicken stew or a chicken soup. Veggies do not belong in chicken and dumplings chicken and dumplings is just that - chicken and dumplings. I mean it looks good as a soup but don't call it chicken and dumplings!
Tuesday 13th of December 2022
@Brenda, this recipe is what I grew up with as well, less the potatoes. PA dutch don't consider this chicken and dumplings, but I do. Please don't hate. Everybody has their own version.
Friday 10th of April 2020
I cannot find the original recipe for Bisquick dumplings.
Monday 13th of July 2020
It’s on Pinterest l just saw it
Saturday 18th of January 2020
Making it now, with low sodium soup. And I had cream of chicken and cream of mushroom in the cabinet so that is what I used. I want it earlier so I’m cooking it for 3 1/2 on high then adding biscuit mix for half hr. I also added a some frozen peas for color. On of my favorite meals but it needs more color.
Monday 30th of September 2019
Added an onion to the mix! As well as some shredded cheddar cheese to the biscuit dough?? hubby is excited!! Smells delicious
Sunday 24th of October 2021
@Olivia, Was your onion minced fine and you added to Bisquick biscuit mix? Sorry not sure of your process. I want to make same thing.
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 1st of October 2019