Here is an easy salsa chicken crockpot recipe that only requires a few ingredients and is a healthy slow cooker dinner for sure! Shred it and make tacos or serve it on top of rice for a delicious meal packed with vegetables. If you need an easy family friendly dinner that is inexpensive but super flavorful this is it.
This easy salsa chicken crockpot recipe only costs about $10 total and feeds all 5 of us. Everyone loved it! Bonus!! It’s one of our favorite healthy crockpot recipes here on The Typical Mom. Let us know what you think when you try it. (originally published 5/18, affiliate links present)
I am all about dinner cooking by itself all day, thus I’m a little obsessed with my Instant Pot and slow cooker! It makes our busy lives easier for sure. I can make really cheap and healthy recipes that take no time at all.
If you too love slow cooker recipes of all kinds, you’re going to go crazy over this one. First let’s go over a few resources:
Crockpot Chicken and Salsa
If you’re in a hurry you can shorten the cooking time by using our Instant Pot salsa chicken recipe. We’re a huge fan of our pressure cooker but if I remember in the morning to put everything together and allow it to cook all day it is great too.
- Either way you decide to go you just throw everything in, cover and cook! You can serve your chicken and salsa dinner on top of white or brown rice.
- This creates burrito bowls in essence. Or put your salsa shredded chicken inside small flour tortillas to make soft tacos topped with lettuce and cheese.
Both ways are delicious but we love tacos so we opt for that choice most of the time.
You can really load this slow cooker salsa chicken recipe up with lots of bell peppers and onions, or add just a few.
They add great flavor even if you don’t eat them when the chicken is done. It’s super easy because you only need a few items with little prep beforehand.
This is what you need to make this crockpot salsa chicken recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- or you could use chicken thighs if you prefer
- Salsa – any heat level, chunky is best
- Taco seasoning – use a packet or make your own
- Bell peppers
Optional add ins:
- Drained can of black beans
- Can of diced tomatoes will make more sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream is a great topping once it is done! We love sliced avocado too. 😉
The amount of chicken breasts you use depends on how many people you’re feeding but I usually use 4 medium size breasts.
I don’t like using really large thick breasts because they won’t become as tender. If that is all I can find though I will just cut them in half before putting them in.
Can I put frozen meat in a slow cooker?
- It is not recommended
- I always thaw out my meat in the fridge the night before
How can I quickly defrost chicken?
- Put meat into a bowl and run hot water over it.
- Submerge chicken and allow it to thaw.
- Check internal temperature, you want it to be 140 degrees.
- This should take 30 minutes or less to do.
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
- We do so for this recipe and many others.
- BUT do not put raw ground beef. Instead precook it like we did with our 5 ingredient chili.
Salsa Chicken Crockpot Recipe
Why we love this chicken in the Crockpot
- It is probably one of the cheapest recipes I have in my back pocket.
- It’s healthy and low in saturated fat.
- You can add in as many onions and peppers as you’d like.
- There is tons of flavor with just 3 ingredients.
- Served over rice or in tortillas it is a versatile meal.
- Crockpot sticky teriyaki chicken
- Healthy Crock pot chicken noodle soup
- Our slow cooker chicken cacciatore is another really quick and throw together meal like this one
- You can try these slow cooker chicken thighs.
You have the option to cook on high or low temp. I prefer a lower slower cook but it depends on what you have time for I guess.
How do you keep chicken from drying out in a crockpot?
- One way is to use chicken thighs instead of breasts, they are more tender.
- Cook on low vs. high temperature to avoid drying out.
- Make sure you have enough liquid in your slow cooker to keep it moist.
- Do not keep in too long.
- Chicken thighs alone shouldn’t be in for longer than 6 hours
- Breasts should cook for a maximum of 5 hours
- This is not the case when meat is added to casseroles or dishes like this one with other ingredients and liquid.
Salsa Chicken Crockpot Recipe
- Put chicken breasts on bottom of your crockpot. If you have very large breasts cut in half and make sure all pieces are the same size so they cook evenly.
- Sprinkle sliced onion and bell peppers on top, sprinkle taco seasoning if you are adding that, then pour salsa over the top of everything.
- Put lid on and set on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve on top of rice or shred and serve inside small tortillas for soft tacos.* Longer time on low turns out best.