Here is an easy salsa chicken crockpot recipe that only requires a few ingredients and is a healthy slow cooker dinner for sure! Shred it and make tacos or serve it on top of rice for a delicious meal packed with vegetables. If you need an easy family friendly dinner that is inexpensive but super flavorful this is it.
I am all about dinner cooking by itself all day, thus I’m a little obsessed with my Instant Pot and slow cooker! It makes our busy lives easier for sure. I can make really cheap and healthy recipes that take no time at all like this easy salsa chicken crockpot recipe. It cost about $10 total and feeds all 5 of us. Everyone loved it! Bonus!! It’s one of our favorite healthy crockpot recipes here on The Typical Mom. Let us know what you think when you try it. (originally published 5/18)
You can make this salsa chicken crockpot recipe two ways.
Just throw everything in and serve your chicken breasts on top of white or brown rice, or shred it when it’s done and put it inside small flour tortillas to make soft tacos topped with lettuce and cheese.
Both ways are delicious but we love tacos so we opt for that choice most of the time.
You can really load this slow cooker salsa chicken recipe up with lots of bell peppers and onions, or add just a few.
They add great flavor even if you don’t eat them when the chicken is done. You only need a few items too which I love because dinner just needs to be easy with little prep beforehand.
This is what you need to make this salsa chicken crockpot recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Salsa – any heat level, chunky or not
- Taco seasoning – use a packet or make your own
- Bell peppers
The amount of chicken breasts you use depends on how many people you’re feeding but I usually use 4 medium size breasts.
I don’t like using really large thick breasts because they won’t become as tender, but if that is all I can find I will just cut them in half before putting them in.
After you enjoy this one here are a few other crockpot recipes you will love
- Crockpot sticky teriyaki chicken
- Healthy Crockpot chicken noodle soup
- Our Crockpot chicken cacciatore is another really quick and throw together meal like this one
Salsa Chicken Crockpot Recipe
- 2-4 chicken breasts boneless skinless, 2 large cut in half or 4 small breasts
- 16 oz salsa chunkier the better
- 1 bell pepper or more, sliced thick
- 1 onion sliced thick
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning optional but good
- Put chicken breasts on bottom of your crockpot. If you have very large breasts cut in half and make sure all pieces are the same size so they cook evenly.
- Sprinkle sliced onion and bell peppers on top, sprinkle taco seasoning if you are adding that, then pour salsa over the top of everything.
- Put lid on and set on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve on top of rice or shred and serve inside small tortillas for soft tacos.* Longer time on low turns out best.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉