Chicken Marsala Instant Pot style is the perfect dinner everyone in your house will love. Tender meat with a savory mushroom gravy that’s to die for.
This chicken marsala Instant Pot recipe is so good! Made with chicken breasts and a homemade gravy with mushrooms, we serve it with rice or mashed potatoes regularly. Find this and more easy Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
Have you ordered this at a restaurant and were blown away? You can make it in your Ninja Foodi too…
Wonder how to make it yourself at home in a jiffy? We have the answers y’alll.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Here are a few questions you might have before getting started on this:
We used Marsala wine in this recipe, instead you could omit and use chicken broth for the liquid. You could use dry Madeira wine or a darker sherry such as Oloroso.
You can just enjoy it as is too without a side really if you want to reduce the number of carbs in your meal. To make this you just need a few simple ingredients you see here. Really, chicken thighs could be used as well.
Chicken Marsala Instant Pot
- Chicken cutlets
- All purpose flour
- Minced garlic
- Marsala wine
- Cornstarch to thicken sauce
- Seasonings like salt and pepper of course
Let’s talk chicken for a minute shall we? I do like to save money but sometimes it isn’t that much more to buy what you need already done.
What I mean is if you can find boneless skinless on sale it may not be much more expensive than with bones. I have found cutlets already done too. I just purchase whatever is reasonably priced.
As always you are free to use the type you like. If you just swear by chicken thighs then by all means choose those without bones or skin. This was made with cutlets which can be prepared by yourself or bought as is.
What is a chicken cutlet?
It is simply a boneless skinless chicken breast that has been cut in half (to make it thinner) and pounded to an even thickness. This will make the meat very tender. You can do this yourself or buy them this way for a bit more $.
Once you have completed this step you’re going to coat the outside with some flour and seasonings on both sides as you see here.
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
Here’s a quick step by step. There is a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Instant Pot chicken marsala recipe
Mix seasonings into flour and coat chicken on both sides.
Set pressure cooker to saute and add some olive oil. Add coated thinly sliced chicken and brown on both sides. Remove the chicken, and scrape off browned bits (means deglazing).
Put in butter, onions, seasonings like Italian seasoning or others of choice and mushrooms. Cook until onions soften. Add wine and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Include other ingredients
Add the chicken back into the pot with chicken broth.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for an 8 minute cook time followed by a quick release.
Remove chicken and keep warm. Set pot to saute again. Add heavy cream or whisk water and cornstarch until smooth and add that. In 1-2 minutes marsala sauce should be perfect thickness.
Serve alongside spaghetti squash low carb “noodles”, pasta or rice.
As with any other Instant Pot chicken recipe you can add any and all seasonings you love. Below is just an example of what worked well for us.
If you are new to pressure cooking, or sauteeing in your pot you need to understand how to avoid the burn message. The way you do this is to ensure that after you brown meat, you eliminate stuck on food.
I always use wooden spatulas and spoons when cooking in my IP. It is a good idea so that you don’t scratch your pot and it’s best to get all food off. If there is one piece still there your pot may stop working.
- On the screen it will say BURN meaning it is sensing that it is too hot.
- Yes you can release the pressure, lift lid, scrape and cook again but then the timing will be off.
- It is VERY important to just get in the habit of scraping after cooking ground beef or any type of protein in your pot.
It’s quite frustrating if you don’t because most likely “fixing” it will change the consistency of the meal you’re making.
Easy pressure cooker chicken recipe
If you follow The Typical Mom blog regularly you know we don’t make anything complicated. Also, the ingredients can all be found at your local grocery store. If you’re in a smaller area you might need to order the wine.
What vegetable goes good with chicken marsala?
Really anything goes with this, that is up to you but here are a few suggestions. A side salad is easy to throw together of course. You can serve this over rice and just be done, but veggies are nice on the side as well.
Here are a few other easy chicken recipes you can try after you enjoy this one:
- Instant Pot chicken and rice is a casserole style dish. With vegetables, tender creamy rice with bite size meat cooked together it’s incredible.
- Our frozen chicken tenders in air fryer work well as an after school snack.
- Air fryer frozen chicken wings come out SO good as an appetizer or main meal.
Then give Instant Pot chicken and potatoes a whirl. A one pot meal cooked together makes it an under 30 minute dinner.
How long is Marsala cooking wine good for?
If you cringe buying something that you may use and will have to throw away because it’s going to go back fast, this isn’t so. It is good for 4-6 months refrigerated once opened. This gives you plenty of time to make this recipe a few times.
Can you substitute red wine for Marsala?
Yes, this is possible too. If you already have an open bottle then by all means use that. The difference is in the taste of course but if you have a type you really enjoy then likely it will be a favorite cooking with it too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Chicken Marsala Instant Pot
- In a bowl or plate combine flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Mix together. Coat each chicken cutlet with flour mixture and set aside.
- Once all pieces are coated set pressure cooker to saute and add olive oil. Add cutlets so they're not overlapping so you can lightly brown both sides of each piece. Remove when done and set aside. Once they're all done use 1/4 c the broth to deglaze the pot to get all stuck on pieces off.
- Add butter, allow to melt and then add onions. Saute until they're soft, then add mushrooms and remaining salt and pepper, and garlic. Continue to saute for a few minutes just to soften mushrooms.
- Add wine and stir cooking for 3 more minutes. Turn off saute function and pour in your broth. Stir contents.
- Add browned chicken into the pot now. Close lid and steam valve and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Do a quick release.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Set pot to saute again and in a small bowl whisk together 2 tbsp of cornstarch with some of the hot liquid from the pot until it is smooth. Then pour this into your pot once contents are boiling.
- Stir, allow to bubble and thicken sauce.
- Serve chicken with this mushroom gravy poured on top.