Instant Pot butter beef is keto friendly with all the favorite Indian flavors you love. If you love butter chicken this will be your new favorite dinner.
This Instant Pot butter beef must be on your list for this week. Packed with flavor and served on top a bed of rice, it’s one of our favorite Indian recipes. Find this and over 100 more Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog. (originally published 10/19, affiliate links present)
Have you tried butter and beef together?? How about with some curry powder? I mean just the thought of all those flavors together I bet is getting your mouth to water right? Totally the best and this way you can cook it in a one pot meal this way.
I will explain how to do it in our pressure cooker below but in a pot on your stove top would work too. If you have a different brand from an IP like a Crockpot Express or as a Ninja Foodi recipe woks the same way too. Let’s get to it shall we?
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot. It is easier to clean and will avoid the burn message too.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Butter Beef
If you’re ready for tender thin cuts of beef tonight I’d give this a try. Use any type of steak you wish, I have used many different types and they all work well. The trick is to just slice thin so it can get nice and super tender with every bite this way. Use steak, a roast or even stew meat then grab these other items from the store.
- Maybe you’ve tried Instant Pot butter chicken and love it. Well, we did so then we tried making butter beef. It was just as delicious!
Served typically just as is in a bowl you can pair it with some rice or even naan on the side to scoop it up. If you have eaten it at a restaurant you might have your favorite duo beyond those.
Indian Butter Beef
OMG there is literally the best Indian restaurant in Salt Lake City I went to with my friends years ago. Ok it was my first experience with this food but it was so good I just needed to make it at home. Best reason for this other than it is cheaper is that you can make it spicy too if you want. You will need the following items for this quick and easy meal:
- Electric pressure cooker using high pressure
- If you have an Instant Pot I HIGHLY suggest getting this non stick pot
- Small cut cubed beef or cut into thin strips
- could use sirloin steak, chuck roast (not my favorite), stew meat, beef tips
- Butter of course
Onions go in everything around here. Sliced is great, diced will kinda’ dissolve but will lend flavor you’ll want. White and yellow works, I just use what is on hand y’all.
Butter Beef Curry
If this flavor is kinda’ new to you, believe me you’ll love it. The color is bright and so are the flavors. You can easily tame the heat or thin it out with some more broth.
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetable or beef broth
- 1 cup of water can be used but won’t be as flavorful
- Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro to garnish is great
- Granulated garlic – different from garlic powder, but use that if you must, garlic butter beef is the bomb
- black pepper optional, to taste
- Chili powder
- Sweet paprika
- Yellow curry powder
What is the beef and butter challenge?
The Beef and Butter Fast challenge was designed to help you break a weight loss stall on the Ketogenic Diet. It’s really hard to overeat when you stick to this plan. The fat intake you consume will make you feel really full!
What is the butter and beef fast?
- This has been known to be done when people are following the keto diet. It’s been done by some because it is very high fat, moderate protein, and extremely low in carbs. For 4 days they consume nothing but ground beef, butter and butter coffee.
- I am personally not a fan of extreme dieting methods of any kind and wouldn’t recommend this. It is “a thing” though if you’re curious about the concept.
The cook time is very short for this Instant Pot beef recipe. As with most Instant Pot steak recipes you don’t want to cook it too long or the meat will not be as tender as you’d like.
Can you overcook meat in a pressure cooker?
Unfortunately once you overcook a piece of meat in the pressure cooker there’s no going back. The same piece of beef can have different pressure cooking times based on how it is sliced.
Instant Pot Butter Beef
Do you cover meat with liquid in a pressure cooker?
Yes and no. When you use a pressure cooker you need to have enough liquid in the pot for it to reach pressure. If not the food won’t cook properly.
The rule of liquids in pressure cooking is to always add at least 1 cup unless the recipe states otherwise. The liquid will help create enough steam to cook the meal, it doesn’t have to be completely covered though.
- Another trick to getting tender beef in an Instant Pot is to allow the pressure to naturally release for a bit, then let it out.
A different method than if you made this in a Crock pot cooking all day, this machine needs time to gradually decompress if you will.
Can you cook ground beef in butter?
- I suppose you could. For this Instant Pot butter beef recipe it would definitely taste different, with a different texture entirely.
In general, if you’re looking to get a nice brown color on a steak, butter in the pan will help.
If the ground beef is very lean, adding a small amount of butter or cooking oil to the pan is necessary. If not, really lean ground beef will burn and stick before the center of your beef is even done.
You can so cook steak in the Instant Pot under high heat and pressure, this is a quick and easy meal we love as well using the same protein. If you make this in your Ninja Foodi air fryer you can crisp the outside once it is done too.
Is it better to cook steak in butter or oil?
Depends on your preference really, but butter is always best in my opinion. Add 1 tbsp. salted butter and 2 tbsp olive oil into your pot and watch for the butter starting to brown.
Place the steak in and cook for 4-6 minutes flipping halfway.
- This is if you just want to make Instant Pot steak by itself, or if you want a sear on the outside before adding other ingredients.
- This step is optional for butter beef.
Typically you want really tender pieces that fall apart in your mouth so putting it on saute to do this step will create a crustier outside. Most prefer not to do this.
How do you make steak tender?
Cutting it into thin strips as directed will do this well. Here are a few other methods:
- Physically tenderize the meat using a meat mallet
- Pound out before slicing steak for really really tender beef
- Use a marinade
- Let meat come up to room temperature before cooking
- Cook it in a pressure cooker with a natural release
- Do not overcook it
- Allow your meat to rest
- Slice against the grain once you’re ready to eat
If you want to make another Indian recipe that’s similar to this, try our slow cooker butter chicken. We have Instant Pot beef roast recipes here too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
What should you serve with this butter beef recipe?
- We always serve it over Instant Pot white rice
- You could have mashed potatoes with it
- Pressure cooker quinoa is a great gluten free and protein packed side dish
- Having 1/4 cup vegetables are always a win
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Instant Pot Butter Beef
- Add ingredients
Put all ingredients EXCEPT your heavy cream and cilantro into your pot, stir together.
Set to high pressure for 5 minutes, then naturally release steam for 10 minutes.
Release rest of steam, open lid and pour in heavy cream. Stir so it warms with other ingredients. Serve on top of rice garnished with chopped cilantro.
Instant Pot Butter Beef
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1.5 lbs beef sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika or mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1.5 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 1 c vegetable broth or water
- 1 c heavy cream
- cilantro chopped for serving
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT your heavy cream and cilantro into your pot, stir together.
- Set to high pressure for 5 minutes, then naturally release steam for 10 minutes.
- Release rest of steam, open lid and pour in heavy cream. Stir so it warms with other ingredients.
- Serve on top of rice garnished with chopped cilantro.
Friday 23rd of December 2022
I accidentally put the cream in first! Will this have a significant impact in the food?
The Typical Mom
Monday 26th of December 2022
It may curdle but hopefully it will be forgiving
Wednesday 11th of November 2020
The cruelest irony is how delicious this sauce is on beef lol though I guess if you're hindu you could sub in bison?
Thursday 30th of July 2020
Hi! I am looking forward to trying this recipe..... do you think at using shaved steak be would be a reasonable choice for the meat?
Thursday 31st of October 2019
The dish looks so delicious and healthy to eat. Your recipe will help me a lot! Fan of The TypicalMom