Easy apple air fryer dumplings recipe using pie filling and crescent rolls. Simple turnovers or hand pies you may call them. A dessert you can prepare and cook in no time.
Our air fryer dumplings or pop tarts if you may turned out so yummy! Semi homemade and easy to prep, you can make them cherry too if you like. An easy air fryer recipe for breakfast. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Apple Turnovers
These turnovers with crescent rolls didn’t last long at our house. I love 2 ingredient dessert recipes. Yes frosting was added as well but it is sweet enough without it. You can use crescent rolls like this version or thinner egg roll wrappers for air fryer apple pie egg rolls.
If you’re looking for an easy Cosori air fryer recipe or something to make in your Ninja Foodi, we’ve got it! Of course you can make homemade hand pie dough but I am all about simple so I used refrigerated dough.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Air Fryer Hand Pies using Biscuit Dough
We have made a few yummy air fryer dessert recipes, but this is probably the easiest.
You can really call them what you want. They look kinda’ similar to toaster pastries in the frozen section, but better. You can choose your favorite fruit filling and it can fit quite a bit.
I’ve used crescent rolls or crescent sheets (without perforations) if I can find that at the store. Just preheat, stuff, seal, and cook. I squeezed cream cheese frosting on top, ready made, to amp it up even more.
Here are a few questions you might be thinking a about before you get started making these babies: If you have others just let me know below and I will try to help further.
Crescent Roll Turnovers in Air Fryer
It is pastry dough stuffed with fruit. The edges are sealed and then you bake them in your oven or try our air fryer apple turnovers here.
I have seen them in the frozen section, but these are better. With more filling and taking just as long to cook as pre-made, these semi-homemade apple hand pies are the bomb.
I choose to use refrigerated crescents to make things a lot easier. You can make homemade pastry dough here if you wish. Then follow steps 2-6 below to cook.
You want each piece to hug the fruit filling so press the perforations together with your fingers. I used 2 pieces at a time so it was a rectangle, and put apples near the end.
Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
About 3 slices with some “sweet liquid” will fit nicely. Then fold the longer end on top and seal the edges. I used a fork to kinda’ poke the top a bit.
I don’t think I’ve ever used parchment paper in an air fryer before but this time I thought it was necessary. Not only to make it easier to place them inside, but so they didn’t stick and it would be easy to lift them out too.
You could try it without in your experimentations. I only used a can of apple because that is our favorite. It shouldn’t make a difference if you’d rather have cherry or blueberry turnovers though.
- Separate sheet into 4 squares. You can make 2 at a time so you will need to make 2 batches to finish them all.
Air Fryer Puff Pastry Dessert
You could use this type of dough too. It is flakier but not quite as tender when cooked on the inside. Here are quick step by step instructions but I also have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for you.
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Air Fryer Turnovers
Unroll crescent rolls (or puff pastry). Separate 2 pieces linked together so you have a rectangle with 2 triangle pieces attached. Use fingers to close perforations so it is one solid rectangular piece.
Scoop 3 slices of apples from pie filling can out and put near the end of your rectangle, about 1″ back from the end.
Fold long end over the top of apples and seal the 3 open ends on edges with a fork to seal.
Measure out a piece of parchment paper that fits inside your air fryer basket.
Put your sealed hand pie on top. Do this to make 1 more and use a fork to poke gently on top of each one.
Put 2 hand pies on parchment paper (or use cooking spray inside basket) inside air fryer basket. Close and set to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Open, use a spatula to flip over. Close basket again (could brush the top with egg wash so it’s shiny) and air fry at 350 F for another 3 minutes or until browned as you’d like.
Remove, cool until room temperature and spoon frosting into a quart freezer bag. Snip corner off of bag and squeeze frosting on the top.
OR just sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
Timing will vary slightly depending on how golden brown you want the outsides.
Air Fryer Pop Tarts
I could fit 2 comfortably in my 5 quart as an easy Cosori recipe. Repeat with remaining pastries until all are done to perfection. They’re a quick and easy breakfast or dessert everyone enjoys.
I did try using pie crust the first time but it cracked and wasn’t as flaky as I was imagining. Puff pastry may work too but I haven’t used that yet.
If you wanted to make a bunch of these all at the same time for a larger crowd you might want to use a baking sheet in the oven. I imagine you could use the same temperature and timing, just check intermittently.
Air Fryer Apple Pies
Sometimes I will make all things finger food for dinner and serve these at the end. One of our faves is to cook frozen dumplings in our pressure cooker as a main dish. Making everything easy to pick up is a fun way to eat especially if you have kiddos.
If you are looking for other savory dumpling ideas for this pot, try making air fryer potstickers or air fryer won tons.
Looking for a few other yummy goodies to make in your hot air machine? You can use fresh fruit to make air fryer apples next too. I would try our air fryer apple fritters and air fryer cookies next! If you’re throwing a brunch for just a few, air fryer muffins served in a small bowl are super yummy too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Dumplings
- 1 tube crescent rolls refrigerated, 8 in each roll, makes 4 total
- 1 can pie filling we used apple
- 1/4 c frosting
- 1/2 c caramel sauce optional to pour over the top when done
- Unroll crescent rolls. Separate 2 pieces linked together so you have a rectangle with 2 triangle pieces attached. Use fingers to close perforations so it is one solid rectangular piece.
- Scoop 3 slices of apples from pie filling can out and put near the end of your rectangle, about 1" back from the end.
- Fold long end over the top of apples and seal the 3 open ends well.
- Measure out a piece of parchment paper that fits inside your air fryer basket. Put your sealed hand pie on top. Do this to make 1 more and use a fork to poke gently on top of each one.
- Put 2 hand pies on parchment paper inside air fryer basket. Close and set to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Open, use a spatula to flip over. Close basket again and cook at 350 F for another 3 minutes or until browned as you'd like.
- Remove, cool for a bit and squeeze frosting on the top. If you want it more like a moist gooey dumpling you can pour caramel sauce on the top to make the outside wet.
Thursday 11th of August 2022
These were not only so easy to make but also so delicious! This is the perfect treat to quickly cook up!
Thursday 11th of August 2022
These are so easy! You can’t go wrong with apples and caramel!
Monday 14th of June 2021
I really enjoyed this site. This is such a Great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free