Air fryer apple fritters turn out great! The perfect fruit filled breakfast pastry or dessert your whole family will enjoy any time of day. If you loved our air fryer apple crisp with fresh fruit and looking for another treat, this one is a winner.
Ever thought about whether air fryer apple fritters would be possible? Well have we got a treat for you! With a donut batter from scratch and fresh fruit diced right inside, get your tastebuds ready for this easy air fryer recipe. (affiliate links present, originally published 6/21)
Air Fryer Apple Fritters with Glaze
Oh what a quick easy dessert recipe this is. They didn’t last long at our house. Tender fruit on the inside with that cinnamon batter you’re used to frying but these are way healthier. Then we were craving a sort of air fryer donut but better, and yes this was!
I have made a ton of treats with canned pie filling too but fresh and homemade is always better. the pieces stay firmer, add moisture, and adds texture to any dish too. Unlike fried Dunkin Donuts Apple Fritters these are baked healthier but still fluffy.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Apple Fritters Air Fryer
If you haven’t ever made this delicious type of doughnut before it isn’t much more work than baking pumpkin apple bread really.
Ninja Foodi Apple Fritters
You can make these in any brand of machine you have at home. With this one you are going to use the lid that is attached and the round basket with holes in the bottom works. Alternatively you could use a trivet with parchment underneath.
Is apple fritter a doughnut?
They are very similar, both typically deep fried (except in this case) with a glaze on top. The difference is that fritters have apples mixed into the batter where donuts fillings are piped into the middle at the end.
How do you make apple fritters from scratch?
We will show you how right here! You’ll need to core, peel and dice your apples. Then combine rest of dough items and fold in the fruit at the very end. Fuji or Granny Smith are a bit firmer than other varieties and are best.
What are apple fritters made of?
Once you have this ready you could air fry, fry or deep fry it. But now that you have this recipe why would you submerge it on oil??!! I mean there’s no need for a bunch of paper towels to absorb all that excess yuck this way….
- Peeled, cored, diced apples
- use a few more to make air fryer apples too
- you can sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on top so they don’t brown
- All purpose
- Baking powder
- Confectioners sugar and milk, or use apple cider to make glaze
- Cinnamon and vanilla
Think nutmeg belongs in these, add it! I mean the spices are up to you. In the Fall a bit of pumpkin pie spice might be a nice addition too.
Ok there is a bit of a trick to making fritters in air fryer. As you might imagine you need to move quickly. Since it is liquidy there is a bit that will want to stick to the bottom and possibly flow underneath.
BUT if you spray the basket with non stick cooking spray and then quickly use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop 4 dollops into the basket and close it for 5 minutes you’ll avoid it as much as possible. You can see them done up and ready right here….
Does Krispy Kreme make apple fritters?
Yes, but those are deep fried. Believe it or not you will get that same great crispiness you’d expect from those when cooking it this way. It is really a game changer for all the things.
Homemade Apple Fritters
They are a bit different looking than if you bought one at Dunkin Donuts but we’re not done yet. You’ve gotta make some sort of glaze to make them right, right?!! Melt a bit of maple frosting or make your own.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Add your flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a small bowl. Mix together well.
- Then add eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine together into a batter. Fold in large chopped apples.
- Spray heated air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Quickly scoop 1/4 cup of batter up and pour into lumps inside basket. Leave 2 inches in between each one.
- Close and cook for 5 minutes total time. Open drawer, flip them over and continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes until golden brown on outside but still tender in middle.
- Remove and add more, this makes about 10.
To make the glaze melt butter in a pan on the stovetop. Remove and allow to cool a bit, then add the powdered sugar and whisk a bit of milk into it to thin it out. Lay warm fritters on wire rack or parchment paper and spoon this glaze or maple melted frosting over the top and enjoy.
Ninja Foodi Fritters
How long do apple fritters last?
I mean we’ve never had leftovers but they’d be just like buying them from the store fresh. Put into an airtight container and leave on the countertop at room temperature. If you put them into the fridge they’ll dry out.
Reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds to enjoy within 1-2 days after that. The texture is best the fresher they are so keep that in mind. If you have leftover glaze keep that to use later too.
Want to try some more air fryer dessert recipes? We have a bunch but here are a few of our favorites:
- If you want something really over the top and delectable I would make this individual air fryer cake recipe we have.
- We have made an air fryer pizookie and air fryer dumplings before. Now my kids make that themselves as a treat.
- Then go traditional with some peanut butter or chocolate chips air fryer cookies. Yes, that is even possible. A great way to make a small batch quickly.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Apple Fritters
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Ad flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl. Mix well. Add eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine together into a batter. Fold in apples.
- Spray heated air fryer basket with non stick spray. Quickly scoop up 1/4 of a cup of batter and pour into lumps inside basket. Leave 2" in between each one. Close and cook for 5 minutes.
- Open, flip them over and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Remove and add more, makes about 10.
- To make the glaze melt butter in a pan on the stovetop. Remove and allow to cool a bit, then incorporate the powdered sugar and bit of milk to thin it out. Spoon this over fritters and enjoy.