How to make a pizookie in your air fryer or oven is here! This large chocolate chip or peanut butter cookie topped with ice cream is a fun dessert to serve at home with kids.
We started this journey by first making a batch of air fryer cookies. Those were good, but we remembered the version at BJ’s Restaurant and wondered how well that would turn out too.
So…..we whipped up a batch of homemade cookie dough batter and gave it a whirl. It was a hit so we thought we’d share it with y’all.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
What is a pizookie?
Created at BJs it is essentially a very large cookie served warm, very soft, in a cast iron skillet with ice cream on top. There are many varieties you can choose from but all have an ooey gooey center.
Keep in mind you could easily use refrigerated cookie dough to do the same thing. The only difference is yours might end up thicker since you aren’t using these measurements so you’d need to watch the cook time.
The key to the perfect cookie to me is do NOT overbake it. Once the outside is browned but the inside still looks a bit underdone, take it out. Since it will sit in the pan for about 5 minutes it will continue cooking and harden up.
Unless you like crispy all the way through….then you might want to air fry it a bit longer than stated below. I like soft in the center and the only crunch is on the outer layer.
Air Fryer Pizookie
I do have directions for the oven below too but honestly it doesn’t make sense to heat up your whole house for this. This springform pan is just the right size to fit inside your air fryer basket and small batch cookies are great for just one night.
If you want to make homemade dough you’ll need:
- All purpose flour and Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Room temperature butter
- Egg and vanilla
I love mini semi sweet chocolate chips personally. You could really use anything though including peanut butter or butterscotch chips. Top with vanilla ice cream when done.
If you were making this in the oven you’d have more of a variety as far as pans go. Anything will fit in there so you could use a cast iron chocolate chip skillet or small round cake pan.
The only difference will be the bake time to cook the center if it is thinner or thicker than what we did here. As with any dollops of cookies just keep an eye on it.
Another plus “baking” your pizookie recipe this way is it only takes about 20 minutes without a long preheating process. This was a chocolate chip cookie recipe but using a small batch peanut butter cookie recipe would be great too I would imagine.
Time needed: 18 minutes.
How to Make a Pizookie
Preheat air fryer to 230 degrees for 5 minutes, or oven to 350 degrees.
Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl. In another bowl mix egg, sugars, softened butter and vanilla together until smooth. If your butter isn’t room temperature, melt the butter in the microwave for just 20 seconds.
Add dry ingredients into butter mixture and incorporate well, then fold in chocolate chips.
Spray inside of 7″ springform pan with non stick spray. Put batter inside and press down so it is the same thickness across the pan.
Put into air fryer basket and cook for 18 minutes, then remove and leave in pan for about 5 minutes before unclipping and removing the outer rim of the pan.
Put plate on top of cookie and flip over. Remove bottom metal plate from the top and enjoy with ice cream on top.
If baking in an oven bake for approximately 13-15 minutes or until outer rim is lightly browned and center no longer looks wet.
So fun this is a super easy treat for birthdays or to surprise your family after dinnertime. A printable version of this air fryer dessert is below. It includes nutritional information including saturated fat etc….
That is calculated by the card itself and includes all ingredients listed below. Once you’ve thoroughly enjoyed this creation you should try something else sweet in your hot air machine!
What should be next?? I would say our air fryer monkey bread is beyond amazing, followed by this gooey air fryer cake. If you want simple I’d go with the first because you just use refrigerated biscuits, no baking powder or flour required. 😉
Why is it called a Pizookie?
Well it totally makes sense once you understand where this weird word came from. A cross between a pizza and a cookie, BJ’s restaurant and brewery thought this name just made total sense! The name stuck and now people love making them at home. Give it a whirl tonight y’all!
How do you heat up a pizookie?
I would highly suggest you eat this fresh right out of the pan. If you wanted to cook them ahead of time and warm it right before eating I would definitely undercook it.
- You want it really soft so maybe cook for 10 minutes and then right before eating, put in for remaining 8.
- I haven’t ever done this but if you were making a few this might be helpful to do so everyone could enjoy them at the same time.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
How to Make a Pizookie
- Preheat air fryer to 230 degrees for 5 minutes, or oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl. In another bowl mix egg, sugars, softened butter and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients into butter mixture and incorporate well, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray inside of 7" springform pan with non stick spray. Put batter inside and press down so it is the same thickness across the pan.
- Put into air fryer basket and cook for 18 minutes, then remove and leave in pan for about 5 minutes before unclipping the side. Put plate on top of cookie and flip over, remove bottom metal plate and enjoy with ice cream on top.
- If baking in an oven bake for approximately 15 minutes or until outer rim is lightly browned and center no longer looks wet.