Air fryer apple chips with cinnamon and sugar are healthy snacks that adults and kids love. Fast way to dehydrate apples quickly with the same great crunch that you would expect.
If you haven’t tried making air fryer apple chips in your Cosori or Ninja Foodi yet you’ve got to! They’re simple to make and your kids will ask for them time and time again. Just one easy air fryer recipe on The Typical Mom blog. (affiliate links present, originally published 1/21)
Dehydrating Apples in Air Fryer
We started off making air fryer apples made in rings, those were great. Yes you can use a separate expensive machine to dehydrate apples instead but no need to do that. That is how we used to make these but those took A LOT longer which was a no go.
Since time is money, and moms don’t have a lot of extra of either 😉 I thought I’d share this other method with you. All you need is a mandolin or steady hand to slice this fruit nice and thin and season as you’d like.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Air Fryer Apple Chips Ninja
When we did this the first time we had A LOT of apples. We visited a fruit farm and picked 60 pounds! That time I chose all Fuji because that is my all time favorite.
After that I tend to just buy what is reasonably priced in the grocery stores. I never buy red delicious though, I think their skins are too tough and the inside isn’t firm enough for my tastes.
If you like more of a sour note, then choose Granny Smith (the bright green ones) instead. Each variety has a different texture and taste so use your favorite of course.
Cinnamon Apple Chips Air Fryer
Yes! I mean especially if you only add a bit of cinnamon. The nutrition doesn’t really change if you’re just drying them out with hot air. A bit of sugar is nice though to give it a bit of added sweetness.
Once your homemade batch is done you’ll want to store them in airtight freezer bags. If you suck the air out every time you open it up they’ll stay crispy for a good week!
It is up to you but people say they’ve had the best success with: Golden delicious, Gala, Fuji and Pink Lady.
How do you slice apples for apple chips?
Very carefully. What I mean by this is that you’ll want to use a mandolin so they’re quite thin. Make sure you have some type of glove on while doing so in order to not cut yourself in the process.
There is also a Kitchen Aid attachment that will peel and thinly slice them if you choose to go that direction. I would suggest not removing the skins though.
As for peeling, don’t. You want the little tiny bit of apple peels left on to kinda’ keep it together better, and give it a bit more texture. You can see above what the thin slices look like when they’re prepared. You will want a mandoline for this step. Here are a few more questions and answers below before you get started:
Apple Chips Air Fryer
Then it is time to add any seasonings you’d like. Cinnamon and sugar are the most popular but a bit of nutmeg or even pumpkin or apple pie spice would be yummy. We added the same to our air fryer peaches and they were amazing too.
This is what you’ll need to get out in order to get started and begin enjoying these dried apples.
- Apples – cored, sliced very thin, you will want a mandoline for this
- Non stick cooking spray
- Cinnamon and sugar if you want that sprinkled on the top
When you follow the timing on this and you pull one out they won’t be crispy immediately. You need to allow them to completely cool and then you’ll taste and feel the difference. These and our air fryer cucumber chips are healthy and gluten free too!
Air Fryer Apple Chips Weight Watchers
If you are trying to lose a few pounds fruits and vegetables should be eaten often. It can get boring so if you make them a different texture with cinnamon (that has no calories) it can really change things up! Here is a quick step by step guide but the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post as well:
- Core apples, then slice them very thin using a mandolin, like 1/8 inch thick.
Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick basket
- Lay apples inside trying to overlap them the least amount possible.
- Sprinkle single layer of apples lightly with cinnamon or cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Set to 300 degrees F and air fry for 10 minutes total cooking time. After 5 minutes flipping them is essential.
- Open basket after 1 minute and if slices are flying around in the basket you can place a metal rack or trivet on top of them to avoid that from happening.
Allow to cool and harden before eating cooked apples. If you’re following a low calorie diet and creating a meal plan for healthier snacks, these are great to include.
Ninja Foodi Apple Chips
You can use any brand of pot you might have. If you do have this one, spinach chips are a healthy choice too you should try. We have made many fresh apple recipes before as well that we love. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Our Instant Pot apple crisp is very popular.
- This Crockpot apple crisp is to die for and you can use the same recipe to make cast iron apple crisp in the oven too.
Another hot air recipe that is similar is our air fryer apple crisp!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Apple Chips
- Core apples, then slice them very thin using a mandolin.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick basket, lay apples inside trying to overlap them the least amount possible.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon or cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Set to 300 degrees F and cook for 10 minutes total, flipping after 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool and harden before eating.
- Tip: Open basket after 1 minute and if slices are flying around in the basket you can place a metal rack or trivet on top of them to avoid that from happening.
Tuesday 18th of January 2022
No comments at this time
Saturday 6th of February 2021
So delicious! Perfect for salads or just as a quick snack.