How to make toast in air fryer or Ninja Foodi toast! If you don’t have a toaster this is how to brown bread perfectly for breakfast. You can even bake homemade loaves of air fryer bread first if you love homemade.
Toast in air fryer was a game changer for us when we were traveling in an RV. We didn’t have a toaster, to save space, and figured out that we could do it all in our Ninja Foodi. I forgot all about it until now, but thought I’d share this super easy air fryer recipe that helped us so much back when we were traveling. (post may contain affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Toast
You could use any brand of machine or toaster oven for this. I have a Cosori, AirWave but for this I used my 2 drawer Ninja Foodi dual zone machine. You don’t need much, same as if you were to bake toast in the oven. That is another variation you could follow if that is the only heat source you had.
Ninja Foodi Toast
If you have a rather large machine you can make a few at a time, smaller can only handle 1 or 2 slices of bread at a time. You can toast bagels in air fryer too this same way. If large they may take 1 more minute but a great option if you are traveling.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
What kind of bread is best for toast?
I personally love the thick slices that Artisan from Sara Lee offers. It isn’t that much more expensive than any other types of bread or loaves but is great for this as well as french toast. If you prefer sourdough I’d choose a smaller loaf or you’ll need to slice it in half to fit nicely. All about homemade white bread? Use that!
Can you toast bread in an air fryer?
Yes, we will show you how to do just that here. Why would you bother doing this? Well like I said above it came in really handy when it was the only device we had and were making a lot of RV meals. You can not only add butter but make air fryer cheese toast in it too by laying a slice of Kraft slices right on top, same timing.
Want to use this same idea for a heartier meal? Brush some sriracha mayo on the outside, load the middle up with prepared tuna and a slice of cheese!
Air fryer tuna melt is created! OMG were these so amazing when we were famished after hiking all day long. Here are a few other ideas as we are speaking about different breads;
- You can bake air fryer garlic rolls inside using frozen dough
- Make a small bundt of cornbread in air fryer to serve with a bowl of chili
- And did you know that you can even bake small individual loaves of air fryer zucchini bread in this baby?
I know, all the things are possible. We will start simple though and then you can go on from there and try the others listed above.
How Long to Toast Bread in Air Fryer
If you have a pressure cooker and air fryer machine like we do you can make this using the air crisp function. You would close the lid that is attached to make this. Only about 2 slices will fit in the small round basket that comes with it but since they are done quickly you could make multiple batches quickly.
You can make air fryer bruschetta toast in it too. Just for the basics you are going to need to get out;
- Slices of bread, as many as you will consume in one sitting – it’s better made fresh so make batches on request
- Butter is best spread before you crisp we feel – we also add a bit when they are done, or homemade jam is great but it allows the flavor and moisture to really seep in
What goes well with toast?
This is subjective of course but we have a few favorite suggestions if you are making a toast bar for the holidays? Never done this? OMG it is so much fun, especially for kids.
You lay out everything on your kitchen island so each person can dress it up as they like. Just lay out and offer;
- Honey butter
- Different types of jellies
- Avocado spread
- Slices of various cheeses
- Peanut butter and jam
Make a batch of eggs too if people want to top some protein on it.
Air Fryer Cheese Toast
You would follow the same instructions as far as temp. (I have decreased to 380 for 2 minutes too and that works well too) at 400 you only need 1 minute though. Butter on 1 side, lay a piece of easily meltable cheese, like packaged wrapped Kraft cheese slices on top.
A thin slice of Velveeta on top works too, that melts well too. A slice of lunchmeat can go underneath if you want to make it more of an open face sandwich. OR continue on to make one of our air fryer tuna melts.
Toast Bread in Air Fryer
You can see here daughter #2 making it herself. Now that my girls are teenagers they are into cooking, especially if they don’t have to ask directions. 😉 I will share the quick step by step below but offer a printable recipe card below if you want to keep it handy.
- It is best to preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- We like to butter both sides of the bread slices with room temperature salted butter.
- Then lay pieces of bread inside in one single layer, not overlapping.
- Close air fryer basket drawer and cook for;
- 2 minutes cook time for lightly toasted
- or cook toast for 2.5 = more browned – we think this is perfect toast for us
- 3 minutes for crispy browned toast.
Cinnamon Toast in Air Fryer
If you too love SunMaid or Cinnabon raisin bread this will work the same way. I would definitely spread butter on the top before adding that to keep it nice and moist. Slightly underdone and not too crispy is better for this style. I’d say stick to 2 minutes since the pieces are slightly smaller and you want fruit inside to be tender.
Ready to try this and all of our other air fryer breakfast recipes? Go for it and let us know if you tweak it in any way we should try.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Toast in Air Fryer
- 2-4 pcs bread
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Butter both sides of your bread slices and lay inside in one single layer.
- Close drawer and cook; 2 minutes for lightly toasted, 2.5 for more browned, and 3 minutes for crispy browned toast.
Tuesday 27th of December 2022
Love your website.
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 27th of December 2022