This is how to cook spaghetti squash fast, in just 7 minutes to be exact! Tender squash noodles are a healthy alternative for pasta and gluten free too. We made Ninja Foodi and Instant Pot squash but there’s oven directions for you as well.
I was given this spaghetti squash by a relative out of her garden and since I never let anything go to waste I wanted to see what all the stuffed spaghetti squash noodles hype was about. I am totally a believer now!! Using my Instant Pot this is how to cook spaghetti squash fast so you too can stuff it with all the goodness you want like we did when we made spaghetti squash spaghetti with it! These Instant Pot spaghetti squash instructions are now found on our long list of 101+ other easy Instant Pot recipes for your reference too. 😉 (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
This is what ours looked like…..
Fresh out of the garden remember, of course you can find squash pretty much year round in the store too.
You can use these instructions on how to cook spaghetti squash fast for butternut squash too.
There’s really no other way to cook squash fast anymore, now that I have my handy pressure cooker around. 😉 You can easily pierce it once it is done and takes less than 20 minutes.
All you really have to do is cut the squash in half lengthwise so it will fit.
- Then scoop out the seeds before resting both sides on a trivet inside your Instant Pot with 1.5 c. of water in the bottom.
- Set to high for 7 minutes and quick release when done, super quick cooking time.
- Let it cool a bit before you use a fork to get all the “noodles” out!
- This is what our Instant Pot spaghetti squash noodles looked like……
- Hold the outside and use a fork on the squash cut sides to scrape it out
If you’ve never cooked a squash like this they aren’t long like traditional spaghetti noodles in the store which to me is nice because it makes it way easier to eat anyway.
Seriously when you use spaghetti squash noodles as an alternative to the traditional style and load it with all the sauce and cheese you typically would you CANNOT tell the difference!!!
I’m serious. I was very surprised by it myself and now we love spaghetti squash.
Now that you know how to cook spaghetti squash fast in an Instant Pot we can go on to show you what we did with it.
- So after scooping out the insides we mixed it with spaghetti sauce.
- Then added parmesan cheese and a few spices we would normally add to our spaghetti.
- Next we put it back into our “squash bowls” and topped everything with more cheese.
- Threw it on to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Added mozzarella, parmesan, and green onions, then just melt it all in the oven for a bit and that’s it.
- Sprinkle with salt and YUM!
- Here’s the entire recipe for baked spaghetti squash
It. Was. Amazing!!!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, this is how to cook spaghetti squash in the oven:
- Follow direction #1 below cutting in half and removing seeds.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put on baking sheet with cut side facing up.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes depending on size
- Check after 30 minutes to see if it is tender enough, larger squash will take longer.
To cook squash in the microwave just:
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds
- Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water
- Cover and microwave 9-12 minutes (check after 9 to see if it’s tender enough)
Looking for more squash recipes?? Try this creamy butternut squash soup for another night.
This is a printable for how to cook spaghetti squash fast in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot:
Want to make Ninja Foodi spaghetti squash?
- Follow the same directions below using a trivet and your pressure cooker lid.
- To continue on and make stuffed “spaghetti” you could skip the oven and melt the cheese using your air crisp lid!
- You will have to only do one half at a time as you want the entire cheese filled top facing up.
- Just place on a trivet, close air fryer lid and set to 400 degrees for about 5-6 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- You can grab an Instant Pot air fryer lid here too.
Then go on to make Ninja Foodi spaghetti squash spaghetti with pepperoni!
It’s one of our favorite cheap Instant Pot recipes, and so healthy too!
Dinner recipes you should try next:
- Ninja Foodi baked spaghetti
- Or our traditional Instant Pot spaghetti with “real” noodles
- Pressure cooker carrots and corn on the cob are great healthy side dishes.
- Spaghetti squash casserole
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash Fast
- 1 spaghetti squash cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed from middle
- 1.5 c water
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the middle from both sides that includes the seeds and "gunk" you'd find inside a pumpkin. Just remove the stringy portion and seeds and leave as much of the inside of the squash in tact.
- Put your trivet in the bottom of your pressure cooker with 1 cup of water.
- Put cut squash on trivet with cut ends facing up and overlapping as little as possible.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 7 minutes.
- Do a quick release, remove from pot and set on a cutting board. Allow to cool a bit before making spaghetti squash noodles so you don't turn your fingers.
- Or....use as you wish. If you want to make "spaghetti squash noodles" hold one half with an oven mitt and use a fork to carefully scrape the insides out so they look like noodles.
- Put them in a bowl and when all the noodles are scraped out drain the liquid out of that bowl and add in your other ingredients like spaghetti sauce to coat your noodles and cheese if you want to make "spaghetti".
- Fill halves of squash with this mixture, top with cheese and put in oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or put under air fryer lid at 400 degrees for about 5 min. or until cheese melts.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉