This is how to cook acorn squash in microwave so it is tender and delicious. A healthy vegetable side dish that’s savory or can be sweet. Just one of many microwave recipes on our site.
Microwave acorn squash is so easy! If you didn’t think you could nuke your dinner and easy side dishes you have another thing coming. That is right, you can do all the things y’all. We will show you just how easy this is and share other how to cook vegetables in microwave tips too. (affiliate links present)
Acorn Squash in Microwave
Do you love this veggie? Us too, especially during the Fall months. If you have never attempted it but it is your favorite when you visit a restaurant we will explain step by step how you get it from hard to fork tender in no time. Once you get the hang of it it is a great way of How to Cook Kabocha Squash as well.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
We started with air fryer acorn squash. SO Good y’all, but not everyone has one of those machines. I don’t know about you growing up but I can’t remember a time when we didn’t have a microwave. Ours was gigantic back then but was a great way of making snacks or frozen dinners when we were busy. There are so many more possibilities nowadays.
Looking for some easy microwave recipes? We have the answer! Whether you are traveling in an RV, need to cook in a hotel room or just want to cook food quickly we can help. Here are a few resources to get started;
FIRST – sign up for our free newsletter here! I publish new posts each and every day and that will be sent out twice a week for you to read and try them all!
- Here are my favorite microwave safe dishes with lids to use, plastic is no good.
- Cook times may vary slightly if you have a very small unit with less than 1000 watts.
- Remember to use pot holders to remove food from inside as it may be very hot when done cooking.
You can make this when you’re cooking ground beef in microwave for a full meal, or alone as a quick snack. Add butter and salt for savory or cinnamon and sugar for a low calorie treat at night.
Microwave Acorn Squash
We shared how to cook spaghetti squash fast a while back. That one is great if you want a low carb alternative to pasta. This one is more of a side.
Each type of squash has a very different color, texture and taste to it. They are all mild in flavor but can be amped up pretty good with seasonings.
The biggest thing to start with is to figure out your favorite way of getting it tender first, then you add all the things. The longest method would be to bake it in the oven, I don’t have that long. Once you slice it in half and scoop out the seeds this only takes about 8 minutes to be done! Game changer.
Acorn Squash Microwave Maple Syrup
Then figure out when you’re going to eat this. If it is for dessert you might want some honey or syrup inside with a dollop of honey butter. If you have kids who are typically anti veggie you might do this anyway to get them to taste it, you might make them believers this way.
Should I microwave squash before cutting
I don’t think this is necessary if you have a sharp knife on hand. If it’s a bit too tough for you you can poke it on the outside of the skin a few times (so it doesn’t explode when heated) first. Then microwave for 1.5 minutes and see if that has softened it enough to slice lengthwise now. 2-4 should be sufficient.
Can I microwave a whole acorn squash
You could but it is messier to scoop out the seeds once it’s tender and it’s a bit more of a mess. You’d need to make sure that there are several decent sized slits made all the way around it to release the steam. If not done adequately it may explode. Microwave on high for 8 minutes, slice, add butter and heat another 2 minutes or until tender.
Acorn Squash Recipe in Microwave
The only thing used here was the squash sliced, a bit of butter and some salt and pepper inside. If you use a dish it is better so that if there is a little leakage you don’t have a mess on your hands. Made similar to microwaving carrots really.
- Rinse and pat dry your squash to make sure all dirt is removed.
- Place whole in a microwave safe dish.
- Heat for 1.5 minutes to help soften the outside so it is easier to cut.
- Carefully cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. This is how to roast squash seeds if you don’t want to waste those.
- Return the squash halves cut side facing down in the glass baking dish.
- if you have added toppings at the beginning, set squash cut side facing up
- Cook in the microwave for 6-10 minutes. (I cooked mine for 5 minutes and then checked in 2 min. increments until it was as tender as I wanted it to be).
- timing will depend on it’s size and how soft you want it to be
Carefully remove and top with salt, pepper, butter or butter and brown sugar as a sweeter dish. Use a fork to eat the flesh, you don’t want to eat the skin on this. For more ideas refer to our steaming vegetables in microwave post.
You can jump to recipe below and get started. Let us know how your squash cooking goes and what goodies you sprinkle on that becomes a hit in your house.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How to Cook Acorn Squash in Microwave
- 1 baking dish or plate
- 1 knife
- 1 Spoon
- 1 acorn squash
- salt and pepper to taste, butter, maple syrup are all good toppings
- Rinse and dry your squash to make sure all dirt is removed. Poke outside of skin a few times, then place whole squash in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 1.5 minutes. (This will help soften the squash so it is easier to slice).
- Carefully cut the in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Return the sliced squash to your dish, flesh side down.
- Microwave on high (regular setting) for 6-10 minutes. (I cooked mine for 5 minutes and then checked in 2 min. increments until it was as tender as I wanted it to be). Timing will depend on size and how tender you want it to be.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and top with salt, pepper, butter or choice of toppings. Use a fork to eat the inside.