This copycat Whataburger honey butter is killer served on toast or on our Jiffy skillet cornbread. Sweet and savory 3 ingredient spread that’s a breakfast must.
During the holidays or when we are hosting a brunch it is always fun to put together a toast bar! This Whataburger honey butter is always a hit with that. Served as is or with some jam on top it takes a slice of bread from ok to sweet and delicious every time. (affiliate links present)
Copycat Whataburger Honey Butter Recipe
We were making toast in the oven the other day for a crowd and brought out all the things to top our slices with. If you are making some for just the two of you it is better to make toast in air fryer so you don’t have to heat up your entire house.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
If you too love this popular fast food restaurant you have tasted this creation yourself. Wonder how simple it is to make, it’s very easy. Typically you would have it smeared on their honey butter chicken biscuit sandwich for breakfast. You can make this yourself now by making air fryer frozen biscuits and chicken patties.
Homemade Honey Butter
If you don’t have this place in your city and you just want to try something different on your bread, welcome just the same. Yes it is great on a toasted slice of bread but if you want to go all out, this is how to make fluffy biscuits.
How do you make honey butter sauce at Whataburger?
I have the 3 ingredients (4 if you want to add a bit of savory sea salt on top) listed below. This will be thicker than the saucier version you find there but it is homemade which means the texture will be a bit different. You’ll be able to skip the preservatives (great) and can thin it out a bit more with extra honey or vanilla if you’d like.
- Unsalted butter is ideal
- You’ll want honey of course, I prefer organic
- A dash of vanilla extract is in there
- I like a light sprinkle of sea salt on the top once it is served but could be skipped
Use a spatula like you see here to gently blend it together. If you serve it right away it will be loose but will stiffen up if stored in the fridge.
Whipped Honey Butter
Let’s talk about texture again. If you like the whipped style you can do it, to an extent. Use a hand mixer on medium speed to blend it together and fluff up just a bit. This will soften it again just a bit and maintain this look/feel if kept at room temperature.
Do I need to refrigerate honey butter?
Yes I would. Like I said it will stiffen the colder it gets and is better served at room temperature. So you’ll want to store in an airtight container (or covered with plastic wrap) for it to last up to one month.
- Every time you want to use it I would leave it on the counter for a good 30 minutes so it isn’t so stiff. The colder temp. dampens the flavors.
Another option is to warm what you are going to consume right then. You don’t want to heat the whole container, then put back into the fridge and do the back and forth. Bacteria can grow with the extreme temperature changes. Instead, put a large dollop in a ramekin, heat in microwave for 20 seconds and spread on a warm buttermilk biscuits.
Honey Butter Sauce
Warming your butter and honey mixture this way in the microwave would create more of a sauce. Yes it would warm on it’s own spread on top of a very warm biscuit but if you wanted to drizzle it on top of your pieces of chicken thighs or golden brown fried chicken is amazing. For this, a sauce would work out better.
- In a mixing bowl use a spatula to gently blend together the three ingredients until incorporated together.
- Spoon into a small jar and cover, a mason jar is great.
- Or serve right away on your table.
- To store and use again later, put into the fridge
- if you want a stiffer texture, put into refrigerator for at least 2 hours and then serve this way
SO easy to mix together and treat your family, or serve to guests as a brunch item right??
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Whataburger Honey Butter
- 1 Bowl
- In a bowl use a spatula to blend together the two ingredients. Spoon into a small jar and cover, mason jar is great.
- Put into the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up a bit if desired, or serve right away in a softer form on toast and cornbread.