Simple crafts for kids using cereal that are so much for fun. An easy craft for toddlers and kids to keep them busy for hours.
If you have kids who are out of school for the summer you know you need to come up with some simple crafts for kids to keep them busy. With 3 kids in this house I am always trying to come up with inexpensive ways to entertain them. We came up with a few using our favorite breakfast cereal, Cheerios today. Special thanks goes out to Cheerios™ for sponsoring this post. (originally published 6/16)
- Easy is the name of the game when it comes to crafts for kids.
They would rather do it all on their own if at all possible and these two ideas provide that sense of autonomy. Of course it depends on their age. Toddlers may need a bit of assistance with the glue on this first craft where my daughter here who is 7 could do it all on her own. The second craft using Cheerios™ could be done entirely on their own and it will keep them busy for hours I tell you!
Simple crafts for kids
First you are going to want to head over to Walmart and pick up whatever type(s) of Cheerios™ you want for these projects. We used Fruity for the first craft and Multi-Grain Cheerios™ for the second. You will need a bottle of glue, a gallon storage bag, a plastic tub, and a piece of paper.
- Cereal Art – Older children can use the glue themselves and draw a simple picture. A heart, snowman, or tree are easy ones to draw and use with your Cheerios.
- Toddlers may need you to draw the picture with the glue. I suggest drawing a small portion and then when they have put their cereal on continue with the rest of the picture so the glue doesn’t dry before they get to it.
Give them a small bowl of Cheerios™ so it is easier for them to pick out the colors they want. If you are doing a tree the Chocolate and Fruity Cheerios™ selections would work best! This is a great art project for kids.
- Edible Sand – What child doesn’t love to play in the sand??!! Well using Cheerios™ they can create “sand” that is actually edible. It’s really fun to play with!!
- We used Multi-Grain Cheerios™ but colored sand using the Fruity variety would be fun too!
- Just fill a gallon storage bag with your cereal, zip it tight (squeeze all the air out of it before zipping the bag), and let your child smash and squish away until the Cheerios™ are smashed into “dust” or “sand” consistency.
- Then use an empty plastic container and a clean shovel + small animals and you have a fun sand box. This fun craft kept mine busy for hours one afternoon.
Every child loves crafts that they can eat after they’re done (or during it in this case), and the fact that they can create this simple craft / activity all on their own makes it that much more fun for them!
Here’s a quick rundown showing you just how easy these are to create together at home.
If you’re looking for another way to use your Cheerios™ you can make a necklace using a piece of string or yarn too….that is great fun for toddlers!
I hope these simple crafts for kids using your favorite cereal will make for a fun afternoon at your house too! Everything you need can be found at Walmart online or in the store so it’s easy to put together. Have a wonderfully creative day my friends. 😉
Here are some other simple crafts for kids:
- Make rainbow loom bracelets
- Mason jar luminaries are great for any holiday
- Take them on a nature scavenger hunt for some outdoor activities, then do nature crafts there too
- Make a memory book together
- Here are a few Mardi Gras crafts for kids
- Baking bread at home is a fun experiment and yummy too