Easy copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe for the crispiest chicken ever. Juicy chicken drumsticks fried quickly then baked to perfection & so flavorful.
Here is an easy copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe you and your kids will absolutely love. Instead of frying it is just done quickly to really crisp the skin. Then baked so the inside is super juicy. (originally published 11/17)
Ever wonder how KFC makes their chicken so crunchy yet juicy inside and packed with flavor?
We have tips on how to make extra crispy chicken skin while keeping the meat fork tender.
This is a great dinner idea, and really inexpensive too. This is how it starts right? With chicken legs.
If you’re looking for a cheap meal that your whole family will love you should try this, and serve it with a side like our Instant Pot potato salad or this creamy pasta salad that is easy to throw together too.
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken
- Chicken drumsticks
Seriously, that is really it!! It really couldn’t be much easier. If you have a dutch oven it is great for frying these as it has a high side and really submerges the legs well.
If you have a wok that works well too, or just a pan over the stovetop that has a high side.
A splatter screen is helpful too so you can prevent it spits the oil may give off.
To make really crispy chicken the key is to dip, coat, and dip again in your flavorful flour mixture. The double coating really makes it more KFC like and how they get that extra crispiness.
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Soak the chicken legs in salt water for up to 24 hrs if possible for optimal results.
Put eggs in one bowl and flour and spices mixed in another bowl.
Beat the eggs and dredge each chicken leg in the flour, then the egg, and then flour once more.
Put coated drumstick on a cooling rack and do this to all other drumsticks.
Heat oil in dutch oven or large pan over medium/high heat.
Fry each leg in batches of 3-4 for about 3 or so minutes each until coating is golden brown.
Remove each leg and put on cooling rack to drain excess oil until all legs are done.
Leave chicken legs on cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet and put in oven for 35-45 minutes or until the internal meat temperature reads 165 degrees F. Enjoy
It isn’t hard and is so worth it to dip just one more time each drumstick to really coat it well.
If you’re having people over or having a picnic these are great too to bring along. Just finish them, wrap in foil and take them with you or serve outside on a sunny day with a few yummy side dishes.
Looking for other comfort food recipe favorites, here are a few more:
- Air fried chicken fried steak or traditional fried steak is great
- How to bake crispy chicken wings is shared here. There is definitely a kitchen hack to these.
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken is oh so wonderful for sure.
Copycat KFC chicken
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Soak the chicken legs in salt water for up to 24 hrs if possible for optimal results.
- Put eggs in one bowl and flour and spices mixed in another bowl.
- Beat the eggs and dredge each chicken leg in the flour, then the egg, and then flour once more.
- Put coated drumstick on a cooling rack and do this to all other drumsticks.
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large pan over medium/high heat.
- Fry each leg in batches of 3-4 for about 3 or so minutes each until coating is golden brown.
- Remove each leg and put on cooling rack to drain excess oil until all legs are done.
- Leave legs on cooling rack and place on top of a cookie sheet. Put in oven to bake for 35-45 minutes or until the thermometer reads 165 degrees F.