How to cook carrots in microwave so they are tender, savory or sweet as a side dish. Microwave carrots are delicious and cheap to make. Just one of many microwave recipes on our site.
We are all about cooking in a microwave nowadays. Why?? Because occasionally we stay the weekend in a hotel and don’t like to always eat out. Things like how to cook carrots in microwave can come in handy when you want a healthy snack. Just sayin… (affiliate links present)
How to Cook Carrots in Microwave
We shared recently how to cook ground beef in microwave. That can be used as your main protein but I bet you would like to serve it with a healthy side dish too, this is a great one. You can add butter and garlic salt to make it savory or drizzle some honey or maple syrup for a little bit of sweetness.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
Looking for some easy microwave recipes? We have the answer! Whether you are traveling in an RV, need to cook in a hotel room or just want to cook food quickly we can help. Here are a few resources to get started;
FIRST – sign up for our free newsletter here! I publish new posts each and every day and that will be sent out twice a week for you to read and try them all!
- Here are my favorite microwave safe dishes with lids to use, plastic is no good.
- Cook times may vary slightly if you have a very small unit with less than 1000 watts.
- Remember to use pot holders to remove food from inside as it may be very hot when done cooking.
All you need for the basics to make them nice and tender is water or broth and the veggies prepared. From there you add the flavorings you want. This time around we’re going with butter and thyme. Salt and pepper are always a given and I add that at the end so it can be adjusted.
It is very similar to making pressure cooker carrots really, but this is faster. Both are my favorite ways of cooking this particular vegetable.
Once you have the hang for this you can use the idea for other steamed vegetables like fresh green beans, microwave acorn squash, brussel sprouts, I mean you get the idea. I mean very hot circulating air with a bit of liquid will create a box of ultimate steam to get all the things fork tender.
Cooking Vegetables in a Microwave
Here are a few questions you might have before you get going;
This is it folks. Microwaving vegetables is a game changer. You can now make carrots tender in just a few minutes without boiling which leaches out the vitamins.
You’d follow this same method for both but for firmer veggies like broccoli in microwave you’ll want to cover. Cover the microwave safe bowl with a plate or plastic wrap on top of your bowl to get them to soften up. Use separate bowls but can heat them both at the same time this way.
No matter how you cook them, you’ll need to peel the outsides first. Those are a no go for eating. The larger the pieces are the longer they will take obviously.
Slice into sticks or dials, your choice. If you are using baby carrots right out of the bag you could skip this step and the slicing as well.
Quick Way to Steam Carrots
If you’re adding them into your beef stew casserole I would cut into 1″ circles and keep them a bit firm still since they will continue softening in the pot. If you’re serving these with a meal just keep checking after the initial few minutes with a fork. Everyone prefers a different “feel”.
Want a bit of crispness to yours. You can either start and only use our air fryer carrots directions or make this way and just pop them in at the end.
We are a not even close to mushy kinda’ family so these don’t take very long at all. Want to make an entire meal together? We just shared recently how long to cook hot dogs in microwave too so this duo would come out at just about the same time.
Steamed Carrots in Microwave
If you’re using small ones that are bagged you can skip the prep really. Be careful when they are done as the dish and contents will be quite hot, you’ll want an oven mitt for this.
- Peel skins and discard. Cut them into bite sized pieces. Place the carrot and water in a microwave safe dish, shallow plate with a lip or bowl. You can use broth instead of 3 tablespoons of water too.
- Put in the microwave and cover the dish with a lid, plastic wrap tight, or plate. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, the carrots will become softer, but will likely be a little firm for your taste, check. Set the timer for another 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, the carrots will become even softer and you can determine if the degree of tenderness is sufficient.
- Continue to cook the carrots to make them even softer.
- In this case, set the timer for another 1-2 min. cooking time. Then the carrots will be fully cooked. Use an oven mitt to carefully remove as the dish will be quite hot.
- Uncover the bowl and drain excess water into the sink.
Drizzle with melted butter, brown sugar maybe, salt, pepper and add fresh thyme. Any or all of these are your choice. We mess around with them depending on our mood. Same goes with Crockpot carrots or if you make a batch of Instant Pot carrots.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Cook Carrots in Microwave
- Peel the carrots and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Place the carrot pieces in a microwave safe container, shallow plate with a lip or bowl. Pour 3 tablespoons of water (or broth) into the bottom.
- Put in the microwave and cover the container with a lid, plastic wrap tight, or plate. Cook for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, the carrots will become softer, but will likely be a little firm for your taste, check. Set the timer for another 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, the carrots will become even softer and you can determine if the degree of tenderness is sufficient. You can continue to cook the carrots to make them even softer.
- In this case, set the timer for another 1-2 minutes. Then the carrots will be fully cooked. Drizzle with melted butter, salt, pepper and add fresh thyme.