This mild or hot lemon pepper chicken wings air fryer recipe is a healthy way to cook this popular appetizer in no time. You only need 4 ingredients and way faster than lemon pepper chicken breasts, and more fun to eat too.
Air fryer lemon pepper chicken wings turn out beyond amazing. With the killer marinade you love and no breading, these naked wings will be your next favorite easy air fryer recipe. (post may contain affiliate links, originally published 5/22)
Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
We began the journey of making air fryer wings <——— with these that feature the most amazing dry rub. They were great for our game day party because it’s cheap and never last long with adults and kiddos.
Moving along from there our frozen chicken wings in air fryer were such a hit we just kept going…and here we are with the next best flavor. Now with that said you can make these in whatever brand you might have. We have a Cosori, AirWave and Ninja Foodi too. For that you use the air crisp button and the lid attached.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Lemon Pepper Wings Air Fryer Frozen
If yours are fresh or defrosted you could soak in our lemon pepper chicken marinade first, or use this method and timing with any sort of flavors you love. In the case that yours are still rock hard that wouldn’t work. In that case you would need to set to 400 and cook for 20 minutes flipping halfway thru. Then spray with olive oil, sprinkle on seasonings and again for another 5 minutes to bake those on.
With a sauce on the outside you’d want to cook them as directed below minus 5 minutes. At that time I would suggest brushing the sauce of choice on then. That will give it enough time to brown and soak in but not burn.
Hot Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Especially if you like honey versions the extra sugar in that may cause it to brown the outsides too quickly before the meat has reached a safe temp. For some heat you can add a bit of Tobasco or Sriracha on to the outside with a brush.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
You could use the same timing, temperature and instructions for any seasonings you wanted to bake on the outside. If you wanted to make a few different ones just keep the ones that are done on a sheet pan covered with foil until they are all done before serving on a big tray.
How do you make wings?
There are several different methods of course. You can deep fry them in oil, air fry them as you see here or make crispy chicken wings in the oven. For the fastest and best texture on the outside I suggest following this one.
What part of the chicken is chicken wings?
There are really two main pieces to it. You have the drumette that looks like a small version of chicken legs and the wingette itself that isn’t as meaty. Most times they’re separated and prepared together like you see below.
How do you get sauce to stick to wings?
Great question!! If adding it before cooking you want to make sure they are really dry. Lay them on paper towels and roll them up. Press gently absorbing all the liquid on the skins.
If tossing them in the sauce after they’re cooked you’ll want to make sure there’s no oil or grease on the outside. Take them out of the basket and lay on paper towels, flip them over and then in a bowl to toss with sauce(s).
I have the Cosori 5 qt, an AirWave as well as the Ninja Foodi and I love them all. Trick is to choose one with a large square basket so you can fit quite a bit in a single layer without overlapping.
Lemon Pepper Wings Air Fryer
I kid you not, if you have only had deep fried chicken wings you’ll be surprised at how similar these taste. BUT you can rest assured you can eat a bit more because they’re lower in calories and fat than their counterparts.
- Rinse and dry chicken wings well with paper towels to remove water from outside of the skins. Put these into a bowl.
- Cut your lemon in half and remove seeds, discard those babies. Squeeze both sides to put your lemon juice into a bowl. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Add olive oil and zest lemon. Stir
- Pour olive oil lemon mixture on to your dry wings and toss to coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket and pour coated wings in not overlapping so the hot air circulates well and can crisp up nice and good.
Cook at 350 F for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through cook time. Remove when they are as crispy as you’d like. If you’d like them crispier after 20 minutes spray with olive oil and add 2 more minutes.
There are a few more seasonings you can add into your lemon pepper seasoning mixture. Garlic powder is good if you like that, I’ve even added a squeeze of lime for bolder flavors.
There are so many possibilities once you get the timing and general step by step instructions down pat. You could increase air fryer to 380 and cook for closer to 15 minutes but I kinda’ like lower and slower for these.
What is the best sauce for wings?
- We love bang bang sauce as one of our chicken wing dips.
- Ranch dressing or blue cheese are usually a given served with carrot and celery sticks.
- Some like just some plain melted butter drizzled on top like our air fryer boneless wings, or dunk them in fry sauce.
If you’re looking for an even healthier idea, but similar in nature…try our air fryer cauliflower wings next too. Lower in saturated fat and a vegetarian option. When reheating chicken in air fryer there are a few tips you should remember too, we go over them in the above post.
Try these and our Instant Pot black pepper chicken next if you dare. It’s similar to the Panda Express version and has a similar feel to these wings but boneless of course.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings Air Fryer
- Rinse and dry chicken wings with paper towels to remove water from outside of the skins. Put into a bowl.
- Cut lemon in half and remove seeds, discard. Squeeze both sides of lemon into a bowl. Sprinkle in salt and pepper, add olive oil and zest lemon. Stir
- Pour olive oil mixture on wings and toss to coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket and pour coated wings in not overlapping so they can crisp up well.
- Cook at 350 F for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through cook time. Remove when they are as crispy as you'd like.
- If you'd like them crispier after 20 minutes spray with olive oil and add 2 more minutes.