Whole chicken wings in air fryer with dry rub and sauce are so good! How to cook whole wings tender and crispy for an appetizer or dinner.
Have you made whole chicken wings in air fryer yet? They come out so crispy, with tons of flavor and bigger than just wingette and drumettes. Use a homemade dry rub or this bottled one and throw them right in. An easy air fryer recipe you’ll all love. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Wings
Maybe you have seen these at the store and wondered how the heck you would ever cook them right? Well Cosori and Ninja Foodi wings turn out the best if you ask me. Yes you can toss or brush your favorite sauce on top but I like just a sweet and savory seasoning and that’s it.
You could use the homemade chicken wings dry rub recipe we used to make these air fryer chicken wings or I have a link to one that is done in a bottle below too. Both are great, just depends on how much time I have on hand as to which I choose to use really.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
What is a whole chicken wing?
You get all 3 pieces; the drumette, wingette and the tip (which the pointy part without meat on it). The first is where it attaches to the rest of the bird and look like miniature chicken legs. They are a bit like leg quarters in that there are two parts that you typically see separate, but this time they’re attached.
How do you break down whole chicken wings?
It is easiest if you have a pair of kitchen scissors or a sharp knife and a cutting board. You’d find where the bones attach at the joint in between the two and cut there. Twist a bit and they should separate. Usually the tip is removed and discarded entirely as there is nothing really to that.
Do you remove the skin from chicken wings before frying?
Um please don’t. That is kinda’ the best part that gets really nice and crispy with all the flavor on it. I mean air fryer boneless wings are pretty yummy too, but secretly those aren’t wings at all. If you make what are called naked wings (without the skin) the texture on the outside will be different, more dry really.
Air Fried Chicken Wings
If you’re new to this style of cooking, with just hot air and not submerged into oil you’re in for a treat. Deep fried wings are super crispy and yummy but definitely not healthy. I don’t like them for that reason AND more so they have a funny, heavy, aftertaste that way. I swear, these have the same texture but without all of the negatives.
To make these for game day you’re going to need;
- Package of fresh or thawed whole wings
- we have made frozen chicken wings in air fryer too but not this large
- Olive oil
- If you want really easy, just use this sweet and smoky wing dry rub
If you want to make one from scratch you can take a peek at the one I used to make air fryer turkey wings.
How to Cook Whole Chicken Wings
This is our new favorite bottled dry rub for chicken wings! When I am just done for the day and not into homemade homemade for a meal this is a great substitute. Depending on how many people you are feeding you may need to make a few batches. Just set them on a baking sheet with foil over them to keep warm.
- You’ll start by laying wings on a single layer and dry with few paper towels. Blot on all sides to dry the skin really well. Rub or spray olive oil on skin on all sides.
- Then preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray inside of basket with non stick spray.
- Sprinkle all sides of whole wings with dry seasoning and lay in basket without overlapping them.
- Set time for 30 minutes total
- (timing varies slightly depending on how big they are).
- Flip the wings over after minute 15 min. cook time
- make sure they reach 165 F internal temperature before eating
Toss or brush with bbq sauce or buffalo sauce and serve. Of course everyone will have their own preference as to how crunchy they want the outside to be. SO total time will vary by a few minutes, larger ones will take a tiny bit longer too (of course).
Ninja Foodi whole chicken wings would be made the same way except you close the attached lid instead of sliding a drawer in and out. You could also make them using the pressure cooking method but obviously those wouldn’t be crispy at all. It is another good way to make pressure cooker or Instant Pot frozen wings though.
BUT I would throw them in here to make crispy chicken skin when they are done with that. If you do have leftovers this is how to reheat chicken wings in air fryer. Just takes a few minutes at 400 degrees to make great again the next day.
For this or any of our other chicken wing recipes you should serve with a few chicken wing dipping sauces. Especially with kids it makes dinnertime more fun. Having a party? Make a bunch of varieties for people to choose from and make a wing bar of sorts.
With ranch, Frank’s hot sauce, garlic butter sauce and a bunch of others it can be a really cheap (but fun) way to celebrate. You want people raving over what a good host you were without spending a fortune, this is a great way to do it. Great for a teenager birthday party too, they always love all the finger foods.
Skip to recipe below and you can print it out if you like too. What is your favorite sauce to serve with these? Have a favorite rub you swear by that we should try? Let us know how you make it so we can give it a whirl on our next batch!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Whole Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
- Lay wings on paper towels and fold over, blot on all sides to dry skin. Rub or spray olive oil on skin on all sides.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray. Sprinkle all sides of whole wings with dry seasoning and lay in basket without overlapping them.
- Set to air fry for 30 minutes total (timing varies slightly depending on how big they are). Flip each one over after minute 15. Can sprinkle on more seasoning when you flip them over.
- Remove when they are as crispy as you'd like.