Instant Pot sweet potatoes cubed is a nutritious side dish that is cheap to make and everyone says they’re delicious. Sweet and savory YUM for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas or year round with dinner.
Looking for a new pressure cooker side dish that is inexpensive but your kids will love it? Instant Pot sweet potatoes cubed will be your new favorite dish. Easy to prep and tastes like you got them at a restaurant. This easy Instant Pot recipe will surely make it on to your meal rotation. (affiliate links present, originally published 5/22)
How Long to Cook Cubed Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
Not long. Seriously you can prep, cook and have this easy side dish next to your main dish in less than 15 minutes or so. Garnish how you like but sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar and a little honey is our favorite. I assure you you’ll not only make this during the week but it might replace your calorie laden sweet potato casserole during the holiday.
Yes we have shown you how to make whole air fryer sweet potatoes before but those take much longer and aren’t as easy to eat either. Whether you’re looking to save time at Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas OR just trying to get your kids to eat more veggies you’ve gotta’ try this.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and a set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Sweet Potatoes InstaPot
Even when it comes to meat I like to cut everything into bite size pieces. It makes it faster to cook and cooks more evenly too. Okay maybe I just so used to cooking this way with 3 girls and all those years of cutting up food at the table. It is just so much easier to have all of that done beforehand.
Sweet Potato Instant Pot
You can then serve as is seen here, or mash like we did with our Instant Pot sweet mashed potatoes. There are so many different sizes you can make and serve. All the same flavor of course but smashed is obviously a different texture and preferred during the holidays BUT cubed is a really nice change.
What is the difference between a yam and a sweet potato?
I often get confused too. More so because if you look at these done and tender they look very similar to the canned variety you eat during the holidays. Yams fresh though aren’t that sweet, these are much more so. BUT you really could replace “that can” with this instead, with the marshmallows on top and everything.
Seriously, if they were dressed up the same way and served in a pretty dish I guarantee you nobody would ever question that they were different. You would know that they were free from all those preservatives though and not so sickeningly sweet.
You can actually buy these all prepped and sold frozen at your local grocery store. I guess you could go that direction but it really doesn’t take longer than 5 minutes to prepare so why?? If you did I wouldn’t necessarily change the directions or cook time at all.
How do you cube sweet potatoes?
It’s not rocket science but here we go. For this you can leave the skins on or off. If you’re serving kids I’d peel them off first. For nutritional value you could leave them on but I would air fry or roast them at the end if you do in order to crisp that element up a bit.
First peel them, then slice lengthwise in half and lay the cut flat end on your cutting board. Then cut the sweet potato lengthwise again twice so you can about 3 equal pieces. Turn to the side and cut into cubes the size you want. The smaller they are the softer they will become. Unless you want to mash and make sweet potato casserole make 1×1″ or so.
Instant Pot Cubed Sweet Potatoes
You can see about what I am saying above in the size anyway. We have done this similarly when making air fryer butternut squash cubes too. Want to do this with russets too? NO problem, check out how we did just that to make Instant Pot bacon potatoes that are cheesy and all.
- To start you’re going to pour your cup of water into inner pot and lower down a vegetable steamer basket. to the bottom of the pot
- Remove skins (preferred) and cut into bite size pieces, put into basket.
- Can sprinkle with a bit of white sugar and salt if desired now. Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure cook for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release when timing is done. Lift steamer basket out and serve on plates.
- Favorite way to serve cooked sweet potatoes is to sprinkle some brown sugar, cinnamon, a drizzle of honey on top. Just a bit of salt on top of each is good too for a sweet and savory flavor. Or add butter and maple syrup? Use your favorite choices.
Add a cup to each plate and garnish to your hearts content y’all! Let us know if you find another add on you and your family love so we can try it too.
Want to make a healthier version of your favorite holiday dish? Do the same thing but use maple syrup with some crushed pecans on top. Cubing instead of making mashed sweet potatoes out of them gives the dish more texture but the same overall flavor profile.
Steamed Sweet Potatoes
So beyond this if you want to make the outsides a bit crispy you have a few choices. You can make air fryer sweet potato cubes but you’d only need to cook at 400 for about 4 minutes tossing once. Throw them on a baking sheet with your add ons under the broiler for baked sweet potato bites for a few minutes.
OR just serve them as is for the quickest method of all. You can jump to recipe and get started right now. It is printable so if you want to save it you can. If you have any leftovers, cool them, store in a freezer bag in the fridge and reheat in the microwave the next day.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Cubed
- 3 sweet potatoes skinned, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 c water
- Pour water into inner pot and lower down a vegetable steamer basket. Remove skins (or not) and cut into bite size pieces, put into basket.
- Can sprinkle with a bit of white sugar and salt if desired now. Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release when done. Lift steamer basket out and serve on plates.
- Favorite way is to sprinkle some brown sugar, cinnamon, a drizzle of honey and just a bit of a sprinkle of salt on top of each serving for a sweet and savory flavor.
- * If you have a Ninja Foodi you can transfer pieces to air fry basket, empty water, drizzle on honey, cinnamon and sugar and air crisp for a few minutes if you want a bit of crisp on the outsides.