This Instant Pot sweet potato casserole is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish or make it year round and serve it with dinner as a real treat!
Looking for a yummy new side dish? Try this Instant Pot sweet potato casserole, it is to die for. We are always coming up with new Instant Pot recipes for dinner but now that the holidays are getting closer we’re adding our favorite traditional dishes too so take a look. (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
Are you looking for some Instant Pot Thanksgiving recipes, we’ll show you how to make pressure cooker sweet potatoes too.
Wondering how to make Instant Pot sweet potato casserole?? Well it isn’t hard at all with just a little water and my favorite my favorite Instant Pot vegetable steamer basket!
We make pressure cooker baked potatoes quite often too but sweet potatoes are a fun color with a different taste that the kids love, even if they aren’t in sweet potato casserole.
Add a bit of butter on top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar and it’s a sweet treat that can either be dessert or a side dish with protein.
Here’s what sweet potatoes look like after they’re cooked in your pressure cooker….
Instant Pot sweet potatoes
- Put 1.5 cups of water inside your pressure cooker
- Place the vegetable steamer basket inside and open it up
- Put your sweet potatoes on top like you see here
- Close your lid and steam valve
- Set to high pressure for 22 minutes
- Do a quick release
- Lift basket out
- Slice and serve!
- You can make sweet potato in the air fryer as well!
Instant Pot sweet potato casserole
Here are the items and ingredients you will need:
- Casserole dish
- ensure it is an oven safe baking dish
- Large bowl
- Trivet – I like this one with handles
- Potato masher
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar
- Heavy cream
- Melted butter
- Some like a drizzle of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans are great on top of the sweet potato mixture – I like these honey roasted pecans
You can leave the nuts off if you don’t like them or have a nut allergy and it will be just as good.
I don’t know about you but this dish is something I look forward to every year, but now this Instant Pot sweet potato casserole recipe makes it even easier to do.
What’s the benefit of cooking in your Instant Pot during the holidays?
- It frees up the oven for your turkey, though you can make a pressure cooker turkey in it too!
- Pressure cookers allow you to cook an entire dish in one pot = less clean up
- Making side dishes in your Instant Pot are quicker, so you can make them right at the end and assure they will be hot
- You can keep dishes on warm right in the pot
If it’s the holidays and you’re looking for more Instant Pot Thanksgiving side dishes here are a few others you can make in your pressure cooker:
- Instant Pot cauliflower mash or air fryer sweet potato cubes are great ideas.
- Add 1 cup of buttery Instant Pot brussel sprouts to your plate for a yum factor
- Pressure cooker pumpkin is simple and great for making homemade pumpkin butter
If you haven’t been pressure cooking during the holidays you’re missing out! Adding these melting sweet potatoes are a great side dish option for the holidays too!
The printable recipe is below!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Place sweet potatoes in a steamer basket over 1 cup water in the inner pot. Close lid and set valve to sealing. Set for high pressure for 22 minutes. Do a quick release and remove the sweet potatoes from the instant pot.
- Remove peelings and mash in a large bowl with a fork. Add in the sugar, butter, eggs and 1/4 c. of heavy cream and mix together until smooth. If it is too thick for you, add a bit more heavy cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the topping ingredients.
- Place 1/2 of potato mixture in a casserole dish that fits into your Instant Pot, cover with 1/2 the topping mixture, then cover dish with foil.
- Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and then lower the casserole dish into the inner pot on to a trivet. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release when the cooking time has finished, remove from pot and serve in another dish or on a trivet (this one will be hot).