Pressure cooker sweet potatoes mashed or stuffed with butter and cinnamon sugar are great. A quick, easy and healthy side dish made in your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi.
This is how to cook pressure cooker sweet potatoes perfectly. When done you can make twice baked and savory or sweet for the holidays. Just one easy Instant Pot recipe we have on our site to make dinnertime easier. (affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
You may have made Instant Pot sweet potatoes cubed before but these were left whole. Typically you’d remove the skins but this way you can enjoy every bite. Comes out super duper fork tender, so good even your kids will ask for seconds.
Any brand machine will work. All electric pressure cookers have the high setting and that is all you will need. SO if you have a Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi you can use the same instructions below. Then the toppings are up to you. Most of the times these are squashed but stuffed is great too.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Sweet Potatoes
If you do have this style of machine though you have a few choices. You can make as directed below, slice, stuff and air crisp the tops like twice stuffed potatoes. Second choice is to remove the insides, mix with marshmallows, cinnamon and sugar and make air fryer potato skins.
Third choice is to skip the pressure cook function all together and just make air fryer sweet potatoes. The latter will create a VERY crisp skin. If you are all about texture I would suggest this version. Depends on how you want to serve them really.
This go around we wanted to slice and act as though it was like a russet in a sense. Half per person is about the right serving so you can plan accordingly. You can overlap slightly but not overdo it. I wouldn’t add more than 4 or so at a time.
How long do sweet potatoes cook for
That depends on what method you’re using, this is typically the fastest. If you make baked sweet potatoes at 400 it is closer to 45 minutes or so. Air fryer is about the same by the time the very center becomes tender and fluffy. You wouldn’t want to boil these as the skin will just soften so much it will fall off completely.
Using a pressure cooker will take about 15 minutes with some natural release time. With time to pressurize you’d want to set aside about half an hour to get these done perfectly.
Of course you can cut down the time drastically if you cut into pieces. Sweet potato cubes baked in oven not only are quicker but get crispy too. Drizzled with maple syrup is a hit with my girls for sure. During the holidays you might want to use a mixer to get these nice and smooth.
You can do that too when done, but you’d likely want to remove the skins. We do that ahead of time when making our version of Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes so I’d just follow those directions for that. A Thanksgiving favorite that used to take a lot longer until I got this multi cooker pot.
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes
You know how I feel about boiling food y’all. It’s my absolute last choice. You not only lose out on flavor and texture but more importantly the hot water is going to leach out a lot of the vitamins too. Why would you do that?? There are so many other great methods such as this one to use instead. Use them.
- Sweet potatoes are all you need, medium size is best – much large sweet potatoes may take longer
- A trivet for inside your pot, with handles is nice to have
- Water to steam them to the right tenderness
- For reference I have a 6-quart Instant Pot
If you misplace or don’t want to get a trivet you can just wad up some foil like you see here to keep them out of the liquid below.
I have a printable recipe at the bottom of this post for you to have on hand. Once done I will talk about a few ways to serve them beyond just mashed below. Here’s a quick rundown;
- Wash outside of potatoes and pat dry. For the amount of water, add 1 cup water or so into the pot. Set potatoes on the trivet, out of the liquid.
- Lock the lid in the sealing position and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes cook time. Then allow steam to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Then let out the rest by opening the valve.
- For mashed: Remove and allow to cool to the touch and remove skin. Slice, mash and add butter and cinnamon sugar to your liking.
- For stuffed: Remove, slice in half and fluff up the middle. Loosen middle with fork and add toppings you would like.
Twice Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
You could make them into a complete meal too! Look at the idea below. Yes, sweet and savory at the same time is so yummy. Allow to cool to warm, slice, scoop out some of the middle and then add something like an egg inside. You can add it raw and then bake in oven or air fryer at 400 like this until done to your liking.
Steamed Sweet Potatoes
And that is how you make perfect sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot y’all. As far as meal prep there is literally none, which is nice when you want an easy side dish idea. Once done the possibilities are endless. Think outside of the box and see what you love the best.
Can You Reheat Cooked Sweet Potato
Of course, they save quite nicely. Once cooled you will want to either wrap in foil or store inside a freezer bag with the air pushed out. I like reheating in the air fryer to add a bit of crisp to the outside. If you just want it super soft again just use your microwave instead for about 2 minutes.
Leftovers are great to stuff really. It is already cooled and easy to handle. Then scoop the middle and make a pulled pork baked potato out of it. We are huge fans of this sweet savory combo.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- 1 c water
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry. Add a trivet with 1 cup of water into the pot with potatoes sitting on top out of the liquid.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and allow steam to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then let out the rest by opening the valve.
- For mashed: Remove and allow to cool to the touch and remove skin. Slice, mash and add butter and cinnamon sugar
- For stuffed: Remove, slice and press sides to fluff up the middle. Loosen middle with fork and add toppings you would like. OR slice in half, scoop out a bit of the middle, fill with toppings or crack an egg inside and air fry at 400 for a few minutes to cook egg or melt toppings in the center