Instant Pot sweet mashed potatoes are the best side dish for Easter, Thanksgiving Christmas or during the year. Sweet potatoes mashed in your Ninja Foodi or Crockpot Express too rock.
Every holiday isn’t complete until you make a batch of Instant Pot sweet mashed potatoes. Served plain with butter or with brown sugar and pecans, either way it’s wonderful. Quick and easy Instant Pot recipe we make year after year. (affiliate links present)
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Instant Pot
It doesn’t matter what brand you have at home. IP is the most common but we have a Crockpot Express and Ninja Foodi as well. The timing and instructions will remain the same no matter which you use. We don’t discriminate between any of them, they all have the high pressure function needed.
I am sure you’ve made IP or Ninja Foodi mashed potatoes before with russets. Those are still great but on the savory side of things. If you love a bit of sweetness this is for you. It is up to you just how sweet you make them.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Maybe you have made air fryer sweet potatoes and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar inside but not really sure where to broaden your horizons beyond that. You can keep them in bite size pieces for Instant Pot sweet potatoes cubed or when they’re done you just mash them to make all sorts of things like:
If you want to keep them more whole we have made sweet potato cubes in air fryer as well as sweet potato chips as a fun snack. Wondering why we wouldn’t just make this on the stovetop? Hate waiting for water to boil? Me too. This way you just throw all the ingredients in, close the lid and forget it until the beep goes off.
Do they make instant sweet potatoes?
You can order them online here if you want a really quick side dish. I would say that you’ll add an extra 15 minutes or so to make them from scratch though so I mean I would go for homemade every time. It’s so much better with more texture than out of the bag and processed with preservatives is a no go.
These ingredients are what you will want to grab in order to get going.
- Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Steamer basket
- Then when they are tender you’ll mash and add:
- a bit of milk
- chopped pecans are great on top
Honey or maple syrup could be drizzled on top of each serving too if you really wanted to add a lot of pucker. For dairy free Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes you could use almond or coconut milk instead of “regular” and skip the butter. My husband needs this so I always like to offer suggestions as to how to make it alternative ways.
Instant Pot Cubed Sweet Potatoes
This is kinda’ two recipes in one because you could just stop after steaming and enjoy them as is. You don’t have to squash them at all really. If you prefer this texture just sprinkle on the sweetness when done and serve as is in a serving dish. This version would resemble candied yams sorta’.
Should I peel sweet potatoes before boiling?
Yes, no matter what the outside is not pleasant to eat. Unlike it’s brown counterpart the skins on these are really tough and inedible. We aren’t really boiling but rather steaming them but the same thing goes. Just use a potato peeler to remove it all, then dice and add them into your steamer basket.
Even if you are baking our sweet potato cubes oven recipe you don’t want the skins on, a real no go.
If you’re used to the old fashioned method your Grandmother used in the past you will surprised at how similar this turns out. The biggest difference is the cook time really. I bet if you had both to taste and didn’t know which was which you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes into small chunks. Place them in a steaming basket. Pour a cup of water in the pot.
- Close electric pressure cooker lid, seal the steam release valve, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When done, quick release the pressure cooking valve right away. If you allow it to naturally release at all lthey may get too mushy so keep an ear out for the done beep. Carefully remove the steam basket. Drain the water.
- Then place the cooked sweet potatoes back into the pot (or in a bowl) to add your fixings.
- Add butter and milk. Mash with potato masher until you have a smooth texture. Fold in the vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt.
Taste and adjust this mashed sweet potato recipe to your liking. More sweet, or a bit more salt, some like a bit of heat with chili powder, even mini marshmallows could be sprinkled on the top. How else could you make this? Well you could bake sweet potatoes in air fryer or oven, then allow to cool and scoop out the middles, mash with add ins.
For this or our Instant Pot mashed potatoes they save quite well if stored properly. You want to keep them moist so next day to reheat is ideal. You can make them creamy mashed sweet potatoes again though even if they’ve dried out a bit in the fridge.
After stored in an airtight container and you want to warm them again to eat what was leftover, leave on the countertop first for about 20 minutes. Then transfer to a microwave safe bowl and add a dollop of butter or a bit of milk to the top. Heat for 45 seconds, then stir. Heat again for another 30-60 seconds until warm.
Adding a bit of extra moisture when reheating is key. Ideally butter and a bit of fresh cinnamon and sugar is best to liven it back up if you ask me. Don’t throw it away though, there is no need for that. I hate waste and they’re a great snack for the next day.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Sweet Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes into small chunks. Place them in a steaming basket. Pour water in the Instant Pot. Close the lid, seal the steam release valve, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the steaming basket. Drain the water, then place the cooked sweet potatoes back into the pot (or in a bowl).
- Add butter and milk. Mash with potato masher until you have a smooth texture. Fold in the vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt. Serve with additional butter and/or chopped pecans on top.