Crispy air fryer potatoes and onions recipe that is the perfect cheap side dish that goes with any dinner. Amp up your air fryer onions with some russet, red, Yukon petite medley potatoes for tender deliciousness.
It was time for some air fryer potatoes and onions the other night to go with pork chops. Picked up a bag of mini taters and one white and yellow onion and that was it. With a little drizzle of olive oil and seasonings we were off. Now this has to be our favorite easy air fryer recipe to serve with all the things. Period. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes and Onions
If you haven’t made any sort of potatoes in air fryer yet there are SO many possibilities. From wedges, to diced, breakfast potatoes to enjoy in the morning, shredded frozen hash browns. I could go on and on but you get my drift right? Any which way you cut these babies they are a super cheap and feel good choice.
I bet if you thought back to your childhood at your Grandmother’s house you would remember some potato product on your plate. Every single night for dinner either whole, mashed or a hash made with last night’s leftovers is what I remember. It’s the way they grew up and passed it on to us. Now we can cook them in new ways though!
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Ninja Foodi Potatoes and Onions
If you have been following me online at all you know that I use my Ninja foodi often. I do have many other devices too like a Cosori and AirWave. They all work basically the same so it doesn’t matter what brand you have at home. The biggest difference is how much you can fit in at a time.
Normally I will say do not overlap your food, this one is different. If you didn’t you wouldn’t be able to fit much and you’d be air frying forever, that doesn’t make sense. Instead it will work just fine as long as you follow my method below where you shake the basket every 5 minutes. This will give it an opportunity to rotate and crisp.
Just like our air fryer fried potatoes you need to give this more time than usual to get nice and tender. The larger you cut your pieces the longer they will take. I suggest slicing your petite potatoes into 6-8 pieces each. Some in the bag will be larger than others that is why there is a range.
Cooking Potatoes and Onions in Air Fryer
To make sure we are on the same page here I provided an image below as to what I mean by bite size. This is just about right for the whole bag plus 2 onions sliced to get fork tender with enough seasonings for flavor. The biggest thing is each piece needs to be the same size so you don’t have any raw.
20 minutes is just about right if you do it this way and make the whole bag. That will be enough of an easy side dish for about 5 people or so. Have fewer than that? You can half this recipe too if you want and decrease the time by about 5 minutes. Still shake every 5 until tender. You just need:
- A bag of petite medley potatoes, or 24 oz total
- cut the russet or red potatoes bite sized
- 2 onions and garlic diced would be good too
- I used one yellow and one white
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- other seasonings like Lawry’s works well, Old Bay with salt and pepper works great too
That is seriously about it. A bit like our air fryer breakfast potatoes but cut a bit larger without the cheese on top.
Air Fryer Side Dish
There are oh so many sides you can choose from and are SO much better when you air fry them. Yes you can bake potato medley but it takes a lot longer and you won’t get the crispy like you will using this method. If you want to make 2 different ones a machine like the Dual Blaze Cosori Air Fryer is great because it has 2 baskets.
When we make air fryer corn on the cob on one side at 400 degrees the other can be used for this at 380 and be done near the same time. Game changer y’all. Gives me the ability to cook multiple things at different temperatures all at the same time and serve them for dinner where we can eat together.
Pop the best baked salmon with dry rub in the oven with this and a healthy meal is served.
I put measurements for everything in case you are new to cooking this way but honestly I don’t measure. As far as the oil goes I just pour in enough so each piece is nicely coated but not dripping. Sprinkle in seasonings and toss and then cook. After a while you will be able to eyeball things like that too.
- You always want to start by preheating your air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes. Rinse and dry mini potatoes, cut the potatoes into 6-8 pieces each. Your smaller pieces would need fewer slices. Make bite size.
- Slice or dice your onions into medium chunks. Put both into a bowl and toss with olive oil until coated.
- Sprinkle with seasonings and toss again.
- Pour into your air fryer basket for 20 minutes cooking time total, tossing every 5 minutes. Check fried potatoes and onions after 20 to ensure largest pieces are fork tender.
If you like yours to be really crispy then add 2 to 3 more minutes and spray with some olive oil on the top. You could do this same thing with just russet potatoes if you prefer or make air fryer sweet potato cubes for a sweeter side.
Just one of several air fryer potato recipes on our site and you can rotate thru them all thru the month. If you do have the Instant Pot air fryer or CrispLid you can make these too but in a smaller batch.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Potatoes and Onions
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes. Rinse and dry mini potatoes, slice into 6-8 pieces each, smaller would need fewer slices. Make bite size.
- Slice onions into medium chunks, put both into a bowl and toss with olive oil until coated. Sprinkle with seasonings and toss again.
- Pour into air fryer basket for 20 minutes total tossing every 5 minutes. Check after 20 to ensure largest pieces are fork tender, if you want them crispier spray with olive oil and add another 2-3 minutes.