Perfectly cooked air fryer soft boiled eggs are an easy protein packed breakfast idea. Air fried in the shell or in a small dish this is a real game changer y’all.
Soft boiled eggs air fryer style are great. Get that creamy yolk you love in two different ways with a bit of crisp on the outside if you want. Use your Cosori, Ninja Foodi, AirWave or any other brand to make this easy air fryer recipe. (affiliate links present)
Soft Boiled Eggs in Air Fryer
We shared Ninja Foodi hard boiled eggs last year. Those are great if you want the insides firm to eat as is, diced into a potato salad or sliced. To get that loose ooze of yolk there is a trick to it. We will share how to do it perfectly right here.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
If you want to make it the easiest way, just sit them in your basket and cook for the designated cook time below. You can do the same with soft boiled eggs in microwave. Those are great but a bit difficult to peel because of how delicate they are. If you want to enjoy them right out of the machine I would suggest cracking ahead of time and into a small dish.
If you love easy air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Ninja Foodi Soft Boiled Eggs
It doesn’t matter what brand you might have at home, but this particular one is a bit different. If you do have one of these pressure cooker and air fryer types you have another choice as well. Since it does have multiple functions you can use the other main one to make them ultra tender pressure cooker poached eggs too.
Let’s talk about if you want to make them this second way as you see here below. There are a few benefits to it. One is you can season to begin with so it sticks nicely. A few sprinkles of cheese could be added as well, or finely diced bell peppers. You will need one of the following to do it this way;
- You could use these small silicone cups like you see here.
- If you have a small ramekin inside your air fryer basket that would work too.
- Any small oven safe dish is great for this one.
With any of these you’ll want some non stick spray for the inside so it slides right out. I like olive oil spray personally, or avocado, but PAM works too.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Soft Boiled Eggs
You’re looking at 7-9 minutes which isn’t too bad. With the preheating timing you’re looking at under 15 minutes from start to finish. In that time you can get your coffee ready, plates out of the dishwasher and yourself settled. There’s a printable recipe card at the bottom but here’s a quick rundown;
- Soft Boiled Egg in Silicone Cups – Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 300 degrees. Spray inside of silicone cup with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crack 1 egg per cup and place into the preheated air fryer.
- Heat for 8-9 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Remove from cup and enjoy.
- Air Fryer Soft Boiled Eggs in Shell – Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Place whole egg(s) into the preheated air fryer and cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove the eggs and cool air fried eggs in ice bath.
When cooking is complete, in shell, you always want to immediately transfer hot eggs into an ice water bath for 2-3 minutes. Reason for this is to stop the cooking. The longer it stays hot the firmer your yolks will become. When cooled remove from the water, carefully crack the shells and remove and then serve.
How to Cook Soft Boiled Eggs
If you wanted a boiled soft boiled egg on the stovetop submerged in gently boiling water you could do that too. Once it reaches a consistent bubbling you need to lower in with a spoon and submerge for 6-7 minutes. Immediately remove and dunk in ice water bath. There is a hack to how long to cook soft boiled eggs on the stove we discuss here.
For an pressure cooker soft boiled egg you would follow the same Instant Pot hard boiled eggs instructions except decrease the time. Instead of 5 minutes you’d decrease to 3 but keep the 5 minute natural release timing after that to make sure eggs are cooked perfectly soft in the center.
Ice bath gets them to room temperature faster, stops it cooking and also makes it super easy to peel the eggs. If not they stick really bad and peel the food with it which is no good. Now this texture won’t work well to make deviled eggs but are great with air fryer toast so you can dip it inside.
This is what some people call these. Kinda’ a fun name in general, who knows where this came from maybe because the insides resemble the texture of jam or whatever. I went with it with my kids so they would try it when they were much younger.
Quick Egg Recipes
This one is pretty fast, kept natural as is. If you wanted to add other ingredients in there with it like our muffin tin quiche they are transformed into a complete meal, even for dinnertime. If you do have leftovers they save well if cooked in the shell. When you’re ready to enjoy out of the fridge run under cool water.
Very gently tap the outside all the way around in the center area. Gently peel pieces off bit by bit and add salt and pepper. Another way is to peel right out of the cold water when done and store in a freezer bag. Just make sure nothing gets placed on top since they are very delicate.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Soft Boiled Eggs
- Soft Boiled Egg in Silicone Cups – Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 300 degrees. Spray inside of silicone cup with nonstick cooking spray. Crack 1 egg per cup and place into the preheated air fryer. Heat for 8-9 minutes at 300 degrees. Remove from air fryer and cup and enjoy.
- Air Fryer Soft Boiled Eggs in Shell – Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 300 degrees. Place whole egg(s) into the preheated air fryer and cook for 7 minutes. When cooking is complete, put hot eggs into an ice water bath for 2-3 minutes. Remove from water, carefully crack the shells and remove and then serve.