How to make a soft boiled egg in microwave is here. Get a perfectly cooked egg in a cup. A fast protein packed healthy breakfast idea your whole family will love.
Have you tried to microwave a soft boiled egg yet? If you love this in the morning but hate how much time it takes to boil one you’re in for a real treat. We have lots of easy microwave recipes on our site because well, it works so well. (post may contain affiliate links present)
How to Soft Boil Egg in Microwave
In this post we are focusing on having a runny yolk that is nice and loose. We will follow up with how many minutes it takes to cook it hard boiled as well. You will need the same things for both, just water and a bit of salt.
You can use white or brown eggs but white is easier to peel at the end. Same goes if you want to make air fryer soft boiled eggs. They are delicate and somehow white just seems to remove easier.
If you choose to crack the egg first into a silicone muffin cup you won’t need to peel the shell off at all. That second method is easier to eat for sure and you can add seasonings to the top right then and there too. I’ll share both below though so you can do whichever you wish. They are both game changers.
Looking for some easy microwave recipes? We have the answer! Whether you are traveling in an RV, need to cook in a hotel room or just want to cook food quickly we can help. Here are a few resources to get started;
- Here are my favorite microwave safe dishes with lids to use, plastic is no good.
- Cook times may vary slightly if you have a very small unit with less than 1000 watts.
- Remember to use pot holders to remove food from inside as it may be very hot when done cooking.
How to Soft Boil an Egg in the Microwave
Like I said, there are two ways to do this. You can make it a mug recipe of sorts like you see here above where you add it in with the shell on with a bit of salt water. If you choose to crack it beforehand you need some sort of microwave safe dish or ramekin.
- Mug for shell on
- or microwave safe bowl, small, if cracked
- you could use silicone cups too
- Salt if using a cup
Typical wattage is 1000, if you have a very small machine, traveling and need to cook in a hotel or want RV meals with a tiny unit you may have to increase the timing. If you do crack at the beginning I would season the top of the egg as you wish. A small pinch of salt and pepper is usual, make spicy with a few red pepper flakes.
How to Peel a Soft Boiled Egg
Once you have your soft boiled egg in a cup you’ll need to drain out the liquid. It will be hot and the best way to loosen the outside is to submerge it in a bowl of cold water with ice cubes too. If you have a small slotted spoon that is the best way to remove it. Doing this will stop the cooking process so you want to do it quickly.
The longer you leave it in the hot water the more likely you will have firm yolks like our air fryer hard boiled instead. To prevent the eggs from becoming hard boiled you want the cooking time to be dead on, as listed below, and put into an ice bath when done.
Best thing to do so you’re ready is to fill a bowl halfway with ice when you put your egg in to cook. Then fill that bowl with cool water from the faucet. It will be ready right when it is done cooking. Remember that it will be hot so you may want tongs or a pot holder to transfer it into this bowl to cool off.
Soft Boiled Egg Calories
This varies slightly depending on the type you buy. I prefer organic, cage free for a number of reasons. Other white varieties will be very close to the same and typically are 100 calories each. It doesn’t change the nutrition value whether your yolk is hard, medium, soft or have poached eggs.
The biggest difference is if you were to microwave egg whites. They take it from 100 to about 17!
- Egg In a cup or mug – In a microwave safe bowl or cup, add egg and enough water to cover them. Add 1 tsp salt. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Let sit for 1 minute.
- Then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and place egg in a bowl with cold water and ice cubes for approximately 5 minutes.
- Gently crack outside of the shell from the eggs
- run it under cold water so it slides off and enjoy as desired
- Cracked perfect soft boiled egg in a silicone cup – Spray mug or cup with nonstick spray.
- Add just a dash of salt to the cup.
- Crack into your cup and microwave for 15 seconds.
Let sit for 1 minute, then cook for another 10-15 seconds until done to your liking. Remove and let sit for a minute or two before enjoying.
If you wanted to cook them loose in the oven you could use this no peel soft boiled eggs recipe, but decrease the timing a few minutes. With that one it is in the oven so you can put the light on and remove once you can see that they are the texture you want.
Soft Boiled Egg Holder
If you want to serve it up “fancy” like this you can grab an egg holder here and serve like you see here. Kids love it this way no matter how they are cooked. Now you know how to cook soft boiled eggs fast you can have them every single morning! You’re welcome. 😉 Jump to recipe and get started now.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Soft Boiled Egg in Microwave
- 1 mug
- In a cup or mug – In a microwave safe bowl or cup, add egg and enough water to cover them. Add 1 tsp salt. Microwave for 3 minutes. Let sit for 1 minute. Then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and place egg in a bowl with cold water and ice cubes for approximately 5 minutes. Gently crack outside of the shell from the eggs, running it under cold water so it slides off and enjoy as desired.
- Cracked egg in a mug – Spray mug or cup with nonstick spray. Add just a dash of salt to the cup. Crack the egg into your cup and microwave for 15 seconds. Let sit for 1 minute, then cook for another 10-15 seconds until done to your liking. Remove and let sit for a minute or two before enjoying.