How long to cook soft boiled eggs on stove in shell, cracked without the shell, in air fryer, or in an Instant Pot is here. Perfectly boiled egg with runny yolk timing is explained here.
You may have tried our no peel eggs in the oven but you want to make them individually this time around. We have several methods of how to cook soft boiled eggs here for you. Whether you want to boil, use hot air fry method, cracked first or in the shell there is a way for you. (affiliate links present)
How to Cook a Soft Boiled Egg
Soft boiled eggs offer a delightful and satisfying eating experience. With this simple guide, you can now confidently prepare these delectable treats in your own kitchen. Enjoy them on their own, incorporate them into various dishes, or use them as a protein-packed addition to your favorite meals.
Soft Boiled Eggs from Boiling Water
- Select Fresh Eggs: Start with fresh eggs that are WHITE as they are easier to peel and tend to have a better texture. It’s best to use eggs at room temperature too to ensure even cooking.
- Prepare a Pot of Water: Fill a small or medium pot with enough water to cover the eggs completely. Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Gently Lower Down: Using a spoon or tongs, carefully lower eggs into the boiling water, one at a time. Be cautious not to drop them, as it may cause the shells to crack.
- Set the Timer: Once all the eggs are in the pot, set a timer for the desired level of doneness. We will explain how long is best below in the recipe card. Adjust the time slightly based on your preference for yolk consistency.
- Ice Bath: While the eggs are cooking, prepare a large bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes. This ice bath will stop the cooking process and help cool the eggs quickly.
- Remove from Heat and Transfer to the Ice Bath: When the timer goes off, carefully remove the eggs from the boiling water using a spoon or tongs and transfer them directly into the ice bath. Let them sit in the ice water for about 5-10 minutes to cool and halt the cooking process.
Peel and Enjoy: After the eggs have cooled, gently tap each egg on a hard surface to crack the shell. Begin peeling from the cracked area, preferably starting at the wider end. The shells should come off easily.
Soft Boiled Egg Time from Cold Water
Soft boiled eggs can be cooked directly from cold water, and the cooking time may vary depending on the size of the eggs and the desired level of doneness. Here’s a general guideline for cooking soft boiled eggs starting from cold water:
- Add the eggs in a Pot: Place the desired number of eggs in a small or medium-sized pot, making sure they are in a single layer and not overcrowded.
- Add Cold Water: Pour enough cold water into the pot to cover the eggs by about an inch.
- Heat the Water: Place the pot on the stove over medium high heat and gradually bring the water to a gentle boil.
- It’s important to heat the water slowly to avoid cracking the eggs.
- Start the Timer: Once the water reaches a gentle boil, start the timer.
The cooking time for soft boiled eggs starting from cold water is typically around 6 to 7 minutes for medium sizes. Adjust the time slightly based on the size of the eggs and your preference for yolk consistency.
How to Cook Egg in Boiling Water
Now this one is great for egg benedict for sure. It does take a bit of practice to get the hang of it. Once I did though it was a game changer. 5 minutes for a very runny egg. 6 minutes for perfect soft boiled egg with jammy yolk, 7 for runny just in the center of the yolk.
- Bring a pot of water to a low boil
- Sprinkle salt into the hot water
- Begin stirring the boiling water circularly with a spoon. So much so that when you stop it is still swirling around on it’s own
- Crack large egg into the swirling boiling water
- Allow it to sit inside and cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes for a set white texture
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg(s) and enjoy your cracked soft boiled egg
If you don’t want to use the method explained below, in the shell, we have 2 ways. Choose your favorite way to cook soft boiled egg without a shell below. You can use broth or water to get this done. You’ll need a large slotted spoon to lift it out and allow the liquid to drain away.
How to Cook Soft Boiled Eggs on Stove
How to Cook Soft Boiled Eggs for Ramen
We have other ways to cook eggs over easy in the shell or cracked though. Did you know you could cook air fryer soft boiled eggs too? You totally can. I think it is best if you crack into a silicone cup. You do the same if you were baking muffins in the same machine. Then you skip the peeling all together. If you want to add into your ramen you can just plop it right out.
- We have directions if you want to keep them in the shell too.
- I just think it is way easier to get the same result, and not have to worry about nicking the yolk. If so it will run all over the place when peeling off.
Another easy one is using a cup! That is right, you can make a soft boiled egg in a microwave too. This egg in cup keeps the shell on. Essentially boils the water in a microwave safe mug with a bit of salt. A great way to “cook” when that is all you have available.
For soft boiled eggs in Instant Pot you can use this timing. You could do the same either cracked or not method for this. With silicone cups they would have to sit on a trivet. The steam will make them get a bit more water on top from the condensation though.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How Long to Cook Soft Boiled Eggs
- 1 pot
- On stove without a shell – Bring a pot of water to a low boilSprinkle salt into the waterBegin stirring the boiling water circularly with a spoon so when you stop it is still swirling around on it's ownCrack an egg into the swirling boiling waterAllow it to sit inside and cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutesUse a slotted spoon to remove the egg(s) and enjoy your cracked soft boiled egg.
- On stove in shell – Bring pot of water to a medium boil on the stovetop. Set egg on large spoon and lower in. Allow to boil for 6 minutes. During this time fill a bowl with cold water and some ice cubes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and immediately submerge into ice bath for 10 minutes. Run under cold water, gently tap to break and very gently peel the shell off.
- Soft boiled egg in microwave – Add egg and enough water to cover them in a microwave safe mug. Add 1 tsp salt. Microwave for 3 minutes. Let sit for 1 minute. Then cook for another 3 minutes. Remove and set into an ice bath for 5 minutes before peeling.
- Soft boiled egg in air fryer – Preheat air fryer to 300 F for 5 minutes. Crack 1 egg into each silicone cup and place into the preheated air fryer. Heat for 8-9 minutes at 300 degrees. Remove, season and enjoy.