The best easy potato recipe ideas for breakfast, dinner and side dishes! From the best way to cook potatoes to totally loaded soups and meals you’ll be set.
If you are looking for a few potato recipe ideas for breakfast dinner or as a side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas we have a long list of possibilities! (originally published 8/18, affiliate links to retailer sites present)
Whether you want to know the best way to make baked potatoes so you can load them with chili for a main dish or want a warm cheesy potato soup for dinner or the best mashed potatoes around we have several options depending on your tastes.
Potatoes are SO versatile and such an inexpensive food to work with too, great combo if you ask me!
- You can make them into a complete meal like our air fryer Hasselback potatoes, as an appetizer or a delicious side dish.
We eat baked potatoes stuffed with our 5 ingredient crockpot chili at least once a week which costs less than $10 to feed all of us!
Potato recipe ideas
Potato Breakfast Recipes
- Air fryer french fries frozen or homemade fries in a hot air machine are terrific
- Our Crockpot breakfast casserole recipe is super popular especially during the holidays
- complete with hash browns and bacon, it’s a hearty meal
- Instant Pot breakfast casserole has 4 different options
We made another Ninja Foodi breakfast version for those who have that machine too. Using the air fryer or air crisp mode you can melt the cheese and crisp it a bit too. Load it up with sausage, bacon, or whatever else you love and enjoy!
- As you can see we added quartered mushrooms which were great.
- It’s a great dish to make for a large crowd or brunch if you just want to throw something together and walk away.
In this batch we skipped the potatoes but defrosted shredded hash browns would be a great addition.
These Instant Pot cheesy bacon ranch potatoes are just heavenly.
- seriously these come out so good with some beef or chicken broth and loads of toppings
- personally I choose red potatoes but russet would work as well diced small
- Make our Instant Pot hamburger soup loaded with russet potatoes.
- Our slow cooker cheesy potatoes are great for a brunch or breakfast.
- Try a batch of slow cooker mashed potatoes during the holidays
- this is probably my go to Thanksgiving side dish of all times
- I can pop this in and not have to use room in my oven for them
Have an air fryer? If not I really suggest you get one like NOW so you can make air fryer sausage and potatoes like you see here!!
- Sausage and cheddar potatoes for a brunch idea
- love bacon instead, use that!
- add as much cheese as humanly possible I say
- A mix of sharp cheddar and Monterey jack is probably my go to
- Pressure cooker mashed potatoes get this side dish done fast!
- Air fryer breakfast potatoes are great.
- Best Instant Pot sweet potato casserole here gets thumbs up
Easy breakfast potatoes are great with just salt and pepper but with cheese is even better
(commissions on editorially chosen content below, no added fee to you though)
Now I only list the best way to make baked potatoes here below as a side dish but of course they can be used for dinner as well and filled with hundreds of different things.
We like adding chili and some cheese on top but if you are looking for healthier ideas you could stuff potatoes with:
- Chunky salsa
- Vegetables and olive oil
- Fat free sour cream and green onions
- Healthy Instant Pot chili – make without beans if preferred
Potato Side Dishes
- Instant Pot German potato salad packed with hard boiled eggs are great
- Best way to make baked potatoes is here
- Try Instant Pot scalloped potatoes or air fryer potato wedges rock
- These are the best twice baked potatoes stuffed full of goodness!
Air fryer mashed potatoes or sweet potato mash are great.
- Simple potato salad is perfect for a potluck dish
- of course you can load it up but this is a good base for an easy version that can be added to like crazy
- Easy potatoes au gratin are cheesy and wowy
- Mashed potato casserole is a fun new dish to ad to any dinner party
If you have a nifty air fryer + pressure cooker you can make our Ninja Foodi steak and mashed potatoes. What we love about this is it is all cooked together and comes out tender and flavorful in under 20 minutes.
- If you don’t have that machine yet (I recommend you do get a Foodi sometime soon), try this one. Crockpot steak and potatoes cooks all on it’s own all day long and wow is it a winner.
As you know, I am all about easy peasy meals here on The Typical Mom blog so nothing is hard to put together and everything can be found at your local grocery store.
- Salt and vinegar crispy potatoes
- Tater tot skewers are really popular during Super Bowl
- Garlic foil packets with potato wedges and sausage inside
Peruvian spicy mashed potatoes are something different for your tastebuds.
Crispy smashed potatoes are really fun and you should have your kids help you make them
- Loaded ranch potato salad are gluten free with tons of flavor
- These easy Baked truffle fries have an amazing flavor and aren’t hard to put together
- If you haven’t tried Greek potatoes yet they are a must
- Spicy Indian potatoes have a bit of a kick to them but you can adjust the heat level
- Parmesan roasted potatoes are my middle daughters’ favorite side dish
- Potato cake recipe here is on our site and great for breakfast or a side dish, latkas some call them
Crispy salt and vinegar potatoes have just a few ingredients but don’t lack flavor
Potato Recipe Ideas for Dinner
- Try Instant Pot potato cheese soup loaded all up for a meal with your family
- Crockpot loaded baked potato soup if you don’t have a pressure cooker yet
- Instant Pot potato corn chowder has been VERY popular with everyone who lands on our site
You can pair just about any sort of beef or chicken with these air fryer roasted potatoes. I used a small multi colored medley.
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes are off the charts
- Chicken fajita sweet potatoes have a sweet and savory flavor to them
- Try these Pulled pork sweet potatoes that are hearty and great with leftover pork
- Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are a must
Our favorite is probably Crockpot baked potatoes stuffed with LOTS of things!! Chili is our go to for a high protein and low fat option but bacon bits and sour cream is a close second. They’re not just a side dish for sure!