This is an easy potatoes au gratin recipe you can make as a side dish for the holidays!! Serve for Easter or Thanksgiving and it’s also perfect to put your leftover ham inside and make as a meal. If you’ve never made homemade au gratin potatoes this is a simple way to do it with just a few ingredients.
I’m all about easy when it comes to recipes, but that doesn’t mean everything has to come out of a box. When holidays hit you want homemade, but I don’t want to be slaving over a stove all day….I still want to enjoy myself. Here is an easy potatoes au gratin recipe you can throw together but is still homemade! (originally published 3/16, affiliate links present)
Potatoes Gratin Recipe without Cream
Au Gratin potatoes are a great side dish to ham or even turkey at Easter or Christmas time. Everyone loves cheese and potatoes! I have made the boxed version before and they are ok, but quite frankly these are almost as easy to throw together and you only need a few ingredients to make this easy potato recipe.
You don’t have to use heavy cream to make this either. Instead you can choose milk with a bit of flour to thicken the sauce. This way you can make it dairy free with a lactose variety and whatever shredded cheeses you love.
Dairy Free Potatoes Au Gratin
That is right, I have made this for my husband who cannot handle dairy anymore. It is easier to do than before since it is more popular so the stores carry all different products that work. Not only that, they are really quite good too. Daiya has a bunch of different cheeses that are already shredded for you to choose from.
You can find a vegan plant based butter product in sticks or tubs from Country Crock we use a lot. Plain almond, cashew or coconut milk can be a substitute too. If you wanted to make it thicker without the flour you could incorporate some cottage cheese too.
- Potatoes – sliced russet or red
- Milk – whole is best
- Cheese – cheddar or a mixture
- Flour is used as a thickener
- Butter or dairy based alternative
It’s kinda’ like lasagna with the layering. I like to use both mozzarella and sharp cheddar but use whichever you’d prefer or both. Serve on the side of chicken breast, or it’s a great dish to use your leftovers in!
Classic Potatoes au Gratin
This is just one of many great leftover ham recipes we have on our site, there are lots more you can find too. You just layer all the things with your cheese and bake as usual. I hope you like this holiday side dish and your get together is yummy and fun!
If you love this side dish you should also try our
- Our classic corn casserole that is to die for and always a huge hit
- Good old fashioned easy green bean casserole with bacon is always a must on the buffet table
- Then make a batch of slow cooker no yeast rolls we make time and time again.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Easy Potatoes Au Gratin
- 1 casserole dish
- 8 medium potatoes sliced
- 2 c milk whole is best
- 1 c cheddar cheese or a mixture of white and cheddar, more can be used depending on taste
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic salt optional
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt butter on the stove, add in flour so it thickens Use a wisk and add in milk and continue cooking over a medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until it’s bubbly and thick.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted. Take off the heat. Layer some of your potatoes in a baking dish, or corningware. Sprinkle with a bit of garlic salt.
- Pour over 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat layer of potatoes and cheese until your pan if full. Bake for about 60 minutes or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender.
Monday 29th of February 2016
Can't wait to make this. It's an "easy" recipe that is actually easy!
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 1st of March 2016
I am all about easy!