This is an easy potatoes au gratin recipe you can make as a side dish for the holidays!! Serve for Easter or Thanksgiving and it’s also perfect to put your leftover ham inside and make as a meal. If you’ve never made homemade au gratin potatoes this is a simple way to do it with just a few ingredients.
I’m all about easy when it comes to recipes, but that doesn’t mean everything has to come out of a box. When holidays hit you want homemade, but I don’t want to be slaving over a stove all day….I still want to enjoy myself. Here is an easy potatoes au gratin recipe you can throw together but is still homemade! (originally published 3/16)
Au Gratin potatoes are a great side dish to ham or even turkey at Easter or Christmas time. Everyone loves cheese and potatoes! I have made the boxed version before and they are ok, but quite frankly these are almost as easy to throw together and you only need a few ingredients to make this easy potato side dish. Here is the recipe.
Easy potatoes au gratin
- Potatoes – russet or red
- Milk – whole is best
- Cheese – cheddar or a mixture
Easy Potatoes Au Gratin
- 8 medium potatoes sliced
- 2 c milk whole is best
- 1 c cheddar cheese or a mixture of white and cheddar, more can be used depending on taste
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic salt optional
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt butter on the stove, add in flour so it thickens Use a wisk and add in milk and continue cooking over a medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until it's bubbly and thick.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted. Take off the heat. Layer some of your potatoes in a baking dish, or corningware. Sprinkle with a bit of garlic salt.
- Pour over 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat layer of potatoes and cheese until your pan if full. Bake for about 60 minutes or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender.
It’s kinda’ like lasagna with the layering. I like to use both mozzarella and sharp cheddar but use whichever you’d prefer or both. Use as a side dish or it’s a great dish to use your leftover ham in! Just dice your leftover ham and layer it with your cheese and bake as usual. I hope you like this holiday side dish and your get together is yummy and fun!
If you love this side dish you should also try our
- corn casserole that is to die for and always a huge hit
- easy green bean casserole with bacon
- slow cooker no yeast rolls
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!