This is how you make a homemade quick broccoli cheese soup at home! It’s the perfect dinner idea when it’s cold outside or year round really. Creamy and cheesy with fresh vegetables inside it is sure to become your family’s favorite too.
When it is winter time I am all about soup for dinner! Throw in a few rolls and you have yourself a complete meal, this quick broccoli cheese soup recipe is one of our favorites! If you love homemade soups but don’t have the time to slave over the stove for hours and hours this is the soup for you. (originally published 10/17)
Using fresh (or frozen) broccoli florets and carrots this is packed with vegetables and a creamy cheese blend you will love. In less than an hour you too can make broccoli cheese soup yourself. It is probably a lot easier than you had initially thought.
You only need a few things to make this quick broccoli cheese soup
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Broccoli florets
- Half and half
- Chicken broth
- Onion (optional)
- Carrot and celery (optional)
- Slow cooker (if you want to keep it warm for a while during a get together)
My kids love this soup. It has such a creamy cheesy flavor with the combination of cream cheese and cheddar and is a great way to get your kids to love vegetables too. Serve it as a side dish or a main dish, either way it is delicious.
If you’re making this as an item for brunch you could easily make it on the stovetop as directed below. Then pour it into your crockpot on “keep warm” setting and have it ready to serve throughout the day. Slow cookers are great for that! Especially when you have a lot of people over for the holidays it is a great soup to have for brunch, lunch and/or dinner.
- This potato soup is fabulous option to make too!
If you have a pressure cooker, include this easy Instant Pot clam chowder.
Here’s the printable recipe for quick broccoli cheese soup:
Quick Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Melt butter in a pot on your stovetop on medium heat.
- Add diced onions and saute just until onions soften.
- Whisk in flour and slowly stir until it turns a light brown color.
- Slowly add your half and half, whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings.
- Reduce heat and simmer until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, and celery.
- Continue to simmer until vegetables are the desired tenderness, about 20 minutes or so.
- Then add cheese and cook until it melts, just a few minutes. Stir and serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉