Potato cake recipe that’s a perfect side dish for Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Potato pancakes can be made in a pan like this one the stove or air fryer too. They taste incredible and already portioned out for you.
I know you’ve made good ol’ mashed potatoes, but have you ever made potato cakes using that yummy mixture??!! You should mix it up a bit this holiday and try this easy loaded potato cake recipe that everybody will love! (affiliate links present)
Irish Potato Cake Recipe
Irish Potato Cakes, also known as Boxty, is a traditional Irish dish that combines grated potatoes, flour, and other simple ingredients to create a delicious and hearty cake. It is a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a main course with various toppings.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
It’s a perfect potato side dish that is already portioned out and full of flavor, much more than traditional mashed potatoes. Perfect for Easter dinner or a side dish during the year. We will show you how to pan fry them on the stove here but you can make them into air fryer mashed potato balls too.
Old Fashioned Potato Cakes
You’ve probably made baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, and maybe even potato cakes…..well this is a mixture of them all! I first thought about making these after going to my friends house around Hannukah. She was making some of her favorite foods and latkes was one of them. OMG I had had some of these as a child but forgot about them all these years.
Now as an adult it brought back all of those memories of comfort food and knew I had to experiment a bit with the idea at home. As far as the seasonings inside you really can tweak those to your liking. Same thing when being served, sour cream is our fave but green onions are great too.
This is a terrific way to serve potatoes at Thanksgiving, they taste great, and are already portioned out! Let’s start with the base of this potato recipe and go from there.
How to Make Homemade Potato Cakes
You’re going to start by boiling 4-5 potatoes, you will need 2 cups of mashed potato for this recipe. It will make a total of about 6 loaded baked potato cakes so if you want more just double the recipe.
Mash those potatoes in a bowl and add all of the following ingredients until it is mixed and looks something like this. So delicious.
Potato Cakes Recipe
- Mashed potatoes
- Bread crumbs
What can be added into potato cakes
Mashed potato cakes, or Boxty can be customized with various ingredients to add flavor and texture. Here are some suggestions for additions to into your mixture before you fry them to a golden brown in a pan.
- Finely chopped onions can be sautéed until translucent and added to the potato cake mixture. They add a savory flavor and a pleasant sweetness.
- Finely chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, dill, or thyme can be chopped and mixed into the potato cake batter. They add a burst of freshness and aromatic notes to the dish.
- Grated cheese, such as cheddar, Parmesan, or Gruyere, can be mixed into the potato cake batter for a delicious cheesy twist. The cheese will melt and create pockets of gooey goodness.
- Cooked and crumbled bacon can be added to the potato cake mixture for a smoky and savory taste. It adds a delightful crunch and enhances the overall flavor profile.
- Minced or powdered garlic can be added to the potato cake batter to infuse the cakes with a hint of garlic flavor. Adjust the amount according to your preference.
- Finely chopped vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, or corn can be added to the potato cake mixture. They provide color, texture, and added nutrients.
- Add spices like paprika, cayenne pepper, or cumin to the potato cake batter to give it a hint of heat and complexity. Adjust the amount based on your spice tolerance.
Remember to adjust the consistency of the potato cake batter as needed when incorporating additional ingredients. You may need to add a bit more flour to maintain the right texture. Experiment with different combinations and flavors to create your own unique potato cake variations. These additions will elevate the taste and make your potato cakes even more delicious. Enjoy!
Crispy Potato Cake
- Boil potatoes until soft, drain and mash…or use leftover mashed potatoes or make some garlic mashed potatoes.
- Start a skillet with olive or vegetable oil in it heating over medium low heat.
- Stir the egg, cheddar or parmesan cheese, bacon and green onion into the mashed potato.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and season with a pinch of salt & pepper. Lay out a piece of wax paper or parchment.
- Shape mashed potato mixture into 3-4 inch patties.
- Place in the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned and crispy, flip. Continue cooking about 5 minutes cooking time total, 2 or so minutes per side.
Then you might want to top fried potato cakes with added goodness such as;
- Sour cream
- Green onion
- Salt and pepper
What is nice about potato cakes rather than always serving mashed potatoes at dinner or at Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas time is it is something different.
Cast Iron Skillet Potato Cakes
It has a nice crust around the edges which makes it super flavorful, and it is already portioned out so you can make one for everyone and know you are making enough.
I like using a cast iron skillet to make these, but any pan will do if you don’t have one (or if yours is dirty). It just creates a really nice flavor and cooks really evenly with one.
Mashed Potato Cakes
OR better yet make air fryer fritters like we did here with zucchini instead of potatoes. Give this potato cake recipe a try this holiday season and let me know what you and your guests think…..I bet they will fall in love with them!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Homemade Potato Cake Recipe
- 1 pan
- Boil potatoes until soft, drain and mash…or use leftover mashed potatoes. Start a skillet with Olive oil in it heating over medium low heat.
- Stir the egg, cheese, bacon and green onion into the mashed potato. Stir in the bread crumbs and season with a pinch of salt & pepper. Lay out a piece of wax paper or parchment.
- Shape mashed potato mixture into 3-4 inch patties. Place in the skillet and cook until browned and crispy, flip. Continue cooking about 5 minutes.