This Crockpot loaded baked potato soup is super easy recipe to make and so delicious! You only need a few ingredients and it only costs about $10 to feed up to 6 people. Stovetop and pressure cooker potato soup instructions included too so you can cook it any way you want.
Ok, so I’m a little addicted to my crockpot, can you blame me??!! With 3 busy kids, a household to take care of, a husband, and working full time, there isn’t a lot of time to cook, that’s why I love my slow cooker. There are a few favorite crockpot recipes we all love but this slow cooker loaded baked potato soup is one of the top 3 and we make it year round, even in the summertime. Here’s the recipe. This post brought to you by Hormel Foods. The content and opinions expressed below are that of The Typical Mom. (originally published 8/15, updated photos)
We make this easy Crockpot potato soup often, especially when it’s cool outside!
There are only a few ingredients and everyone just loves it. It is quite inexpensive to make as well which I love. The perfect slow cooker soup recipe to make when you have leftover ham after Easter or Christmas time.
That makes this potato cheese soup really yummy.
Often I buy a ham steak like you see below just to make it because well….it’s on the menu a lot!
Here is what you will need to make this easy potato crockpot soup recipe.
What you’ll need to make this easy loaded baked potato soup
- Crock pot
- Potatoes – I like using red or russet potatoes
- Keep all the pieces the same size so they cook evenly. If you like a chunkier soup make the pieces a bit bigger (but still diced or they won’t cook thru).
- Smaller will make it thinner, depends on your desired consistency
- Shredded cheddar cheese – we like sharp
- Cream of mushroom soup
- use canned, make your own homemade cream of mushroom, you can opt for cream of potato if you prefer
- Sour Cream
- could use heavy cream
- Cooked bacon bits
- Diced green onions
It is a really easy slow cooker potato soup recipe all 5 of us love.
- Even make it in the middle of summer because it’s just that good.The first thing you want to do is dice the potatoes.
- They don’t need to be perfect but just cut the potato in half and then criss cross cut so they are diced.
Put the diced potatoes in your crockpot on low and add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Any brand will do, I usually just use whichever is on sale. 😉 Add a dash of salt now if you wish.
If you want to make this comfort food using hash brown potatoes on your stovetop just follow the directions below.
- Instead of putting everything in your crockpot you’ll need to put the soup, potatoes and ham/bacon in a large pot on low.
- Cover and cook until the diced potatoes are very tender.
- Remember to stir
Then add your milk, sour cream and cheese and continue to stir on low until the cheese melts and the soup is warm again with the cold milk added to it. Then serve.
- If you’re in a real hurry you can make this Instant Pot potato cheese soup recipe too!
Here’s a video showing you how we make potato cheese soup. Then check out our other easy crockpot recipes.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Dice potatoes and add them to the crockpot with your cans of cream of mushroom soup, bacon bits and ham. Stir well so all is combined.
- Let this cook on low all day (at least 6-8 hrs on low, high for 4 hrs but you at least need a good 4 hrs. on high., longer and slower is better).
- 30 min. before serving add your milk, cheese, and sour cream. Stir and put top back on for about 30 minutes so cheese can melt. Done!
We used Hormel Cure 81 Ham Steak for this. We like the taste of this brand. It’s lean and 1 piece is the perfect amount for this recipe.
Now add a shake of Hormel real bacon pieces too. Stir the mixture and set it on low with the top on all day!! I use a larger slow cooker for this recipe even though it doesn’t completely fill it because it cooks more evenly.
About 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat add the sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir, recover, and serve 30 or so minutes later with toppings like more toppings!
Seriously the best soup ever….and it cooks by itself! All 5 of us clean our bowls when this meal is served for dinner. It is a great meal that warms the belly and can get you talking at the dinner table about other easy meals you might want to try too!
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!