Really easy homemade Instant Pot potato cheese soup recipe that takes just 10 minutes to cook! One of our favorite pressure cooker soups that is less than $10 to feed all 5 of us and one of our favorite dinners.
This Instant Pot potato cheese soup was first made in the crockpot but when I got this new appliance it was one of the first things I tried in there because I knew it would cook a lot faster! Totally loaded potato soup is a good name for it since we pack it with extras like lots of bacon, diced onions and chives. Now added to our list of the best Instant Pot recipes around on our site, we probably make it on a weekly basis (super inexpensive and seriously so delicious). (originally published 2/17)
I know…you can see all the bacon, cheese and chives that make this soup amazing.
Whether you make crockpot potato cheese soup or Instant Pot potato cheese soup in a fraction of the time, it will surely become a go to recipe for your family.
Another reason we make this pressure cooker soup often is it feeds all 5 of us, now only takes 15 minutes in my Instant Pot, and probably only costs about about $10 total…now that’s a huge win!!
What you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot Potato Cheese Soup (I have two ways, this is the first)
- Potatoes – I like Yukon, they soften well
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
- Chives for garnish
- Diced onion – optional
- Shredded carrot, or finely diced – optional
- Bacon bits – optional but yummy, great with diced leftover ham too
Looking for more Instant Pot soup recipes?
- Instant Pot turkey soup
- Creamy Instant Pot potato corn chowder
- Cheesy Instant Pot nacho soup
- 17 minute homemade Instant Pot split pea soup
Looking for easy soup side dishes?
- This pull apart bread recipe is probably our favorite
- Air fryer french fries are a fun side
- Easy homemade rolls
As much as I love using my crockpot, this is my new way because it is SO much quicker.
Granted sometimes when I’m gone all day it’s not an issue to throw it in the crockpot and let it simmer for 6-8 hours, but last minute is kinda’ where we are now as a family and it is a good way to ensure we can eat together more regularly.
Here’s the printable recipe for Instant Pot potato cheese soup to follow.
Instant Pot Potato Cheese Soup
- 3 tbsp bacon bits optional
- 1/4 onion diced
- 6 potatoes diced small, skins removed, or most of them, yukon gold are softer than others for this, or can use russet
- 1.5 c cheddar cheese shredded, I like sharp
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chives for garnish
- 1 c celery diced
- 6 c chicken broth more or less depending on how thick you want it
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c carrots shredded or finely diced, optional
- Add all onion, potatoes, celery, salt, carrot, garlic powder and broth to your pot. (add bacon bits if desired now too) Stir together
- Put lid on and close steam valve. Press pressure high for 8 minutes.
- When you hear the beep do a quick release.Carefully remove the lid and stir.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of cheese, and heavy cream and stir until cheese has melted. It will thicken more as it sits.
- If you want it a bit thicker turn pot to saute. Whisk together 3 tbsp of water or heavy cream together with 1 or 2 tbsp cornstarch until smooth, add into pot, stir, and allow to bubble and thicken more.Serve in a bowl garnished with extra cheese and parsley