Really easy homemade Instant Pot potato cheese soup recipe that takes just 10 minutes to cook! One of our favorite pressure cooker soups that is less than $10 to feed all 5 of us and one of our favorite dinners.
This Instant Pot potato cheese soup was first made in the crockpot but when I got this new appliance it was one of the first things I tried in there because I knew it would cook a lot faster! This is one of our favorite soups ever! Totally loaded potato soup is a good name for it since we pack it with extras like lots of bacon, diced onions and chives. Now added to our list of the best Instant Pot recipes around on our site, we probably make it on a weekly basis (super inexpensive and seriously so delicious). (originally published 2/17)
I know…you can see all the bacon, cheese and chives that make this soup amazing.
- Whether you make crockpot potato cheese soup or use this recipe to make it in a fraction of the time it will surely become a go to recipe for your family as well.
Another reason we make this pressure cooker soup often is it feeds all 5 of us, now only takes 15 minutes in my Instant Pot, and probably only costs about about $10 total…now that’s a huge win!!
What you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot Potato Cheese Soup (I have two ways, this is the first)
- Potatoes – I like Yukon, they soften well
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
- Chives for garnish
- Diced onion – optional
- Shredded carrot, or finely diced – optional
- Bacon bits – optional but yummy, great with diced leftover ham too
Looking for more Instant Pot soup recipes?
- Instant Pot turkey soup
- Instant Pot potato corn chowder
- Instant Pot nacho soup
- Instant Pot split pea soup
Here’s the printable recipe:
Instant Pot Potato Cheese Soup
- 3 tbsp bacon bits optional
- 1/4 onion diced
- 6 potatoes diced small, skins removed, or most of them, yukon gold are softer than others for this, or can use russet
- 1.5 c cheddar cheese shredded, I like sharp
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chives for garnish
- 1 c celery diced
- 6 c chicken broth more or less depending on how thick you want it
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c carrots shredded or finely diced, optional
- Add all onion, potatoes, celery, salt, carrot, garlic powder and broth to your pot. (add bacon bits if desired now too) Stir together
- Put lid on and close steam valve. Press pressure high for 8 minutes.
- When you hear the beep do a quick release.Carefully remove the lid and stir.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of cheese, and heavy cream and stir until cheese has melted. It will thicken more as it sits. (if you want it a bit thicker turn to saute, add 3 tbsp of water / heavy cream whisked together with 1 or 2 tbsp cornstarch, add in, stir, and allow to bubble and thicken)Serve in a bowl garnished with extra cheese and parsley
I have made Instant Pot potato cheese soup this way too
- 4 diced Potatoes (love yukon gold because they soften quicker)
- 2 cans Cream of mushroom soup (any brand works)
- 1 c Milk
- 1/2 c Sour cream
- 1 c Cheddar cheese (we prefer sharp)
- 1/4 diced Onion
- 3 strips Bacon
- 1 tbsp Chives
- Add olive oil to IP and set to saute
- Dice bacon and cook until almost done, add diced onions and cook until bacon is done (scraping bottom while cooking)
- Turn IP off
- Add cream of mushroom soup, finely diced potatoes + 3/4 c. water, stir well and scrape the bottom
- Put top on and set the soup setting for 10 minutes
- Do a slow release
- Add cheese, milk, sour cream and stir until cheese is melted (the larger the pcs of potato the firmer they will be etc…)
As much as I love using my crockpot, this is my new way because it is SO much quicker. Granted sometimes when I’m gone all day it’s not an issue to throw it in the crockpot and let it simmer for 6-8 hours, but last minute is kinda’ where we are now as a family and it is a good way to ensure we can eat together more regularly.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉