Really easy homemade Instant Pot potato cheese soup recipe that takes just 10 minutes to cook! One of our favorite pressure cooker soups that is less than $10 to feed all 5 of us and one of our favorite dinners.
This Instant Pot potato cheese soup was first made in the crockpot. When I got this new appliance it was one of the first things I tried in there because I knew it would cook a lot faster! Added to our list of the best Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
Totally loaded potato soup is a good name for it since we pack it with extras like lots of bacon, diced onions and chives.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
I know…you can see all the bacon, cheese and chives that make this soup amazing.
Another reason we make this pressure cooker soup often is it feeds all 5 of us, now only takes 15 minutes in my Instant Pot, and probably only costs about about $10 total…now that’s a huge win!!
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
Instant Pot Potato Cheese Soup
- Potatoes – I like Yukon, they soften well
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Garlic powder
Lots of cheddar cheese or use a mixture of whatever kinds you like best.
- Chives for garnish
- Diced onion – optional
- Shredded carrot, or finely diced – optional
Bacon bits – optional but yummy, great diced leftover ham recipe too. Here are a few questions you might have before you get going on this:
There is a soup button that is helpful if you are just starting out. I personally like to use my own cook time by using the pressure cook button and adjusting the time according to my recipe.
Of course seasonings are helpful. I like adding bacon bits and/or leftover ham inside myself. That adds tons of flavor and I hate throwing away food so that solves that issue.
Looking for easy soup side dishes?
- This pull apart bread recipe is probably our favorite
- Air fryer french fries are a fun side
- Easy homemade rolls
As much as I love using my crockpot, this is my new way because it is SO much quicker.
Granted sometimes when I’m gone all day it’s not an issue to throw Crockpot potato soup with frozen hashbrowns in and let it simmer for 6-8 hours.
But last minute is kinda’ where we are now as a family and it is a good way to ensure we can eat together more regularly.
Instant Pot potato soup
Looking for more Instant Pot soup recipes?
Instant Pot turkey soup is great after the holidays when you have a bunch of leftovers to use up.
- Creamy Instant Pot potato corn chowder is super popular
- Cheesy Instant Pot nacho soup is my kids’ favorite meal
- 17 minute homemade Instant Pot split pea soup is amazing
You can find even more Ninja Foodi soup recipes too if you have that brand.
Instant Pot Potato Cheese Soup
- 3 tbsp bacon bits optional
- 1/4 onion diced
- 6 potatoes diced small, skins removed, or most of them, yukon gold are softer than others for this, or can use russet
- 1.5 c cheddar cheese shredded, I like sharp
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chives for garnish
- 1 c celery diced
- 6 c chicken broth more or less depending on how thick you want it
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c carrots shredded or finely diced, optional
- Add all onion, potatoes, celery, salt, carrot, garlic powder and broth to your pot. (add bacon bits if desired now too) Stir together
- Put lid on and close steam valve. Press pressure high for 8 minutes.
- When you hear the beep do a quick release.Carefully remove the lid and stir.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of cheese, and heavy cream and stir until cheese has melted. It will thicken more as it sits.
- If you want it a bit thicker turn pot to saute. Whisk together 3 tbsp of water or heavy cream together with 1 or 2 tbsp cornstarch until smooth, add into pot, stir, and allow to bubble and thicken more.Serve in a bowl garnished with extra cheese and parsley