Directions for how to make frozen pierogies in air fryer are here! Perfectly soft and tender on the inside but a bit of crisp on the outside, this is the best mashed potato side dish ever.
Have you wondered how to make frozen pierogies in air fryer? Well we experimented for you and figured out the perfect cook time so you can make them perfectly next time too. Just one of many easy air fryer recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
How to Cook Frozen Pierogies in Air Fryer
We are going to focus on how to air fry these in your Ninja Foodi or cosori this go around. Yes you can steam them on the stovetop covered with some water but they won’t get crispy like this. Get ready for your new favorite way to make these pasta filled with mashed potatoes.
What are pierogies made of?
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Air Fryer Pierogies
Use any brand machine you have, just make sure you don’t overlap then when they’re cooking. That way the outsides will get nice and crispy with just enough crunch to make you want another, and another.
Are Pierogies Polish or German?
Many countries have their own variation of this dish though it did originate in Poland. There these potato dumplings actually considered to be a National dish featured at local fairs and events.
You can of course make them homemade, but I never do. Let’s keep it simple I say, so I find them in the frozen section of our grocery store.
Ours has an onion and cheddar cheese variety you see here. We enjoy both but we will feature this one this time.
Pierogies in Air Fryer
- Box of frozen perogies, any flavor you want
- 4 paper towels that you will wet + a plate that can be microwaved
- You’ll need a can of olive oil spray or vegetable oil works too
- If you like the butter flavor on the outside of yours then have a bit melted for later
I just sprinkle with salt and pepper but seasonings are of course up to you and your taste buds. 😉
Air Fryer Frozen Pierogies
To make these perfectly we followed the same steps as we did when making frozen potstickers in air fryer. You’ll need 4 paper towels for this step. Fold them in half so you have 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom so it’s thicker.
Run it under some warm water so it’s soaked, then gently squeeze most, not all, of the liquid out. You need to essentially steam it so the insides are no longer rock hard.
Don’t skip this step. It is easy enough, only takes 2 minutes and will make them the texture overall you want. Much easier than boiling them in a large pot on the stovetop!
Ninja Foodi Pierogies
Once you have them wrapped up just put into your microwave for about 2 minutes. Then lift the top and touch. If the middle is soft then you’re set. If not put them in for another 30 seconds…..
During this time go ahead and preheat your machine to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes so it’s hot and ready when you are.
Not only will this get the insides tender but the outside dumpling pasta will get damp so your seasonings will stick nicely.
Frozen Pierogies in Ninja Air Fryer
It doesn’t matter what brand you have at home, I always like to spray the air fryer basket with non stick spray, just in case. Then give them a trip inside for about 6 minutes. The total cook time will depend on how crispy you want them to be.
If you just want to cook it but not necessarily be crunchy then 4 minutes flipped halfway might serve you better. For more of a deep fry texture 6 is better. Just test it out and see for yourself.
THIS is the best way to cook frozen pierogies ever I tell you. We’ve tried it all since we love pierogies so much and everyone agrees this is the winner.
Air Fry Pierogies Mrs T
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Frozen Pierogies in Air Fryer
Preheat air fryer to 400 F for 5 minutes. Fold 4 paper towels in half and run under water until soaked. Squeeze most of liquid out but leave it quite wet. Lay these on a plate.
Put up to frozen pirogies in the middle. Fold it over the top. Use your hand to put a little bit more water on top of paper towels that are overlapped over the top.
Place into the microwave for about 2 minutes until the middle has softened. Open air fryer basket and spray inside with olive oil spray.
Put into basket without overlapping. Spray tops liberally with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper or seasonings of choice.
Close drawer and cook for total of 4 minutes. Open and flip over after 2 minutes. Then spray tops again with olive oil spray and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until they’re as golden brown as you’d like.
Air fried perfection here. We dip ours in soy sauce (may be weird but like it), or you can pour melted butter on the top.
What are Pierogies Traditionally Served With?
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Frozen Pierogies in Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer at 400 for 5 minutes.
- Fold 4 paper towels in half. Run under warm water until soaked. Squeeze most of liquid out but leave quite wet. Lay on a plate.
- Put up to 10 frozen pierogies in middle and fold over the top. Use your hand to put a little bit more water on top of paper towels that are overlapped over the top.
- Put into microwave for 2.5 minutes so the middles have softened.
- Open air fryer basket and spray inside with olive oil spray.
- Put pierogies into basket without overlapping them. Spray tops liberally with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Close and cook for total of 4 minutes.
- Open and flip over after 2 minutes. Spray tops now with olive oil spray again and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until they're as golden brown as you'd like.