Chopped steak recipe in slow cooker, stove, oven or in air fryer is here! How to cook chop steak with gravy to serve over pasta for dinner. This is a lot like our Instant Pot salisbury steak meal that we have fallen in love with over the years. Now let’s discuss how it’s made other ways.
Our slow cooker chop steak recipe is the bomb. I’ll speak about other ways like we did up above in a pressure cooker too but in the card below is for the Crockpot. Low and slow simmering in a thick gravy is the way to go friends, period. One of our easy Crockpot recipes we love. (affiliste links present)
Chop Steak Recipe
What is the difference between salisbury steak and chopped steak? Not a lot but there is a slight tweak between the two. Salisbury is typically shaped into oval or rectangular patties, similar to traditional hamburger patties. The ground beef is mixed with breadcrumbs, eggs, onions, and seasonings before being formed into patties and cooked in brown onion gravy.
Chopped steak is prepared by taking ground beef and shaping it into a large, thick patty but not typically formed into specific shapes or individual portions. I mean a very slight difference so really I think the main difference is what side of the country you are on. The mix ins differ depending on your location too, and maybe your family has a must add in too.
Slow Cooker Chopped Steak
This is kinda’ like our meatloaf without breadcrumbs recipe except we form the mixture into patties instead of a loaf. If you have your own favorite meatloaf you could easily use that for the blend and then go from there with our sauce and cooking instructions.
- 2 lbs ground beef or ground sirloin
- Italian bread crumbs
- Worcestershire sauce
- Minced onions dried
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Beef broth
- Packet Lipton onion soup mix
- Water or broth
- 4 tbsp cornstarch is just used to thicken the sauce if you want to
- Sliced onions and mushrooms can be added into the sauce too
There is a way to make this as an appetizer too!! I would make the meat mixture described here and then use our Crockpot meatballs and gravy instructions. That is beyond incredible and always a hit when we have people over for the Big Game or just because.
Longhorn Chop Steak
If you have had this dish at Longhorn steak house it will look close to what you see here. On top of a bed of mashed potatoes it is covered in a rich sauce and so tender you can cut bite size pieces with the side of a fork.
Now if you are a texture person and really need some crisp on the outside of your pieces, I get it. In this case I actually prefer super duper tender but in that case you could make air fryer meatloaf patties, simmer the sauce ingredients on the stove and then combine. I still would recommend submerging in the gravy since that is the traditional way of serving.
Chopped steak is a type of ground beef dish that is typically made by shaping ground beef into a patty or loaf shape and then cooking it. The beef used for chopped steak is usually ground or minced, often with added seasonings such as salt, pepper, and sometimes onions or garlic. Commonly cooked in a gravy, pan fried or made in the slow cooker like we show you here.
Some people confuse this term with how you cook cubed steak with gravy, not the same. Those pieces are in fact steaks but either pounded with a mallet or run thru a tenderizer machine at the butcher shop. SO if you search slow cooker cube steak you will not get this dish that is more similar to salisbury. Both are considered comfort food for sure but different non the less.
Chopped Steak and Gravy
There is another added step you can add before slow cooking. If you want to have a bit of a sear on the outside and/or help with them not falling apart as much you can sear in a pan for 2-3 minutes per side to brown first.
- Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, blend together the ground beef, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, dry minced onion, salt, black pepper, and eggs.
- Shape the beef mixture into patties.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil. Sear the patties on both sides until browned.
- In the slow cooker, mix together the soup, beef broth, and soup mix.
- Bury the hamburger steaks in the soup mix. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water.
- Remove the lid and add the slurry to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the gravy is thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice
Chopped Steak in the Oven
You could follow the same steps but use a Dutch Oven on the stovetop over medium heat (or in the oven at 350 F) with lid on for about 2 hours or until meat is fork tender if you’d rather. Typically this is served over some sort of carb like egg noodles cooked separately, al dente or potatoes of some kind.
What is chopped steak good for?
I mean other than eating, I am not sure. 😉 Served with a carb of your choice and sheet pan green beans it makes for a great meal that is family friendly.
If you wanted a new way to serve it you could use a spatula at the end to kinda’ chop up the meat so it is more like a sloppy joe mixture in the pot. Then serve with a spoon to make loose meat sandwiches but with this filling!! Served with slider rolls or sweet Hawaiian buns it is a fun new way to eat it.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Chopped Steak Recipe
- Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, blend together the ground beef, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, dry minced onion, salt, black pepper, and eggs.
- Shape the beef mixture into patties. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil. Sear the patties on both sides until browned.
- In the slow cooker, mix together the soup, beef broth, and soup mix. Bury the patties in the soup mix. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- ** could follow the same steps but use a Dutch Oven on the stovetop over medium heat with lid on for 1-2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water. Remove the lid and add the slurry to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the gravy is thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice