Slow cooker shredded chicken recipe that is great served on top rice or with added spices to make a batch off Mexican shredded chicken for tacos for dinner! Easy to do and tasty.
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
For a lower carb meal we have even filled our air fryer zucchini boats with this and a bit of cheese and everyone loves it.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
Then you’re ready to serve it once you get home…easy meal idea! Crockpot meals area ll about dump it all in and go, that is my philosophy anyway! Serve on top of a bed of rice or with side dishes like beans and vegetables for a low carb option.
Want to go a step further for taco Tuesday?? Use your crisper to stuff this into tortillas to make a batch of chicken air fryer tacos some night.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Thighs
So to make this slow cooker shredded chicken recipe you will need spices, chicken, some veggies and a few cans of tomato items I am sure you already have in your pantry. If you prefer dark meat then just use thighs, more of them. I would choose skinless boneless still so it falls apart and soaks up all the juices.
- Chicken – boneless skinless breasts
- Chicken broth
- Corn – frozen
- Red peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
This recipe was adapted from one in Better Homes and Garden’s cookbook called skinny slow cooker with a few revisions.
Healthy Shredded Chicken in Slow Cooker
It is quite a healthy crockpot recipe that the whole family will enjoy. It stays great sitting on warm for hours and is filling too. This and creamy Crockpot chicken is perfect for company or to serve during the big game.
- Throw it in this portable crockpot and take it to someone else’s house too for a potluck 😉
- Or stuff our air fryer flautas with it for Cinco de Mayo.
If you love this cuban style slow cooker shredded chicken taco recipe you will love our 3 ingredient bbq sweet chicken tacos too cooked in the crockpot. Another favorite for taco Tuesdays!!
- Want to try Crockpot bbq beef too? Try this one!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Thighs
- 2 red peppers chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 3-4 chicken thighs or breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 c corn frozen
- ½ c chicken broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 lime optional, juiced
- 10 oz diced tomatoes
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- Cooked white rice for the side optional
- Tortillas optional
- ¼ c of pitted green olives optional
- Add chopped veggies to bottom of crockpot, put chicken over vegetables. In a bowl combine the rest of your ingredients except for the lime juice and mix together.
- Pour that bowl of contents over the chicken in your slow cooker and cook on low 5-6 hrs or high for 3-4 hrs.
- A bit before serving shred chicken inside crockpot, cover and absorb juices while you’re cooking rice and/or warming tortillas. Serve.