This white bean chicken chili Instant Pot recipe is great year round. Using fresh or shredded rotisserie leftover meat, it’s a hearty healthy one pot meal.
White bean chicken chili Instant Pot style is great if you have some leftovers + a couple canned ingredients. Super cheap to make and even the kids will clean their bowl with this easy Instant Pot recipe. (affiliate links present)
Our very first IP recipe was this Instant Pot chili. Now we’re tweaking it to make a variety of choices!
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Years ago when I first got my multi function pot I made a batch of Instant Pot white chicken chili. That was fabulous but I also love my 5 ingredient Instant Pot chili so this is kinda’ a cross between the two.
It is super versatile because whether you have boneless skinless breasts you want to use or have leftover chicken, it comes out great either way. Heck, if you had pulled pork you needed to use, that would be great too.
Instant Pot White Bean Chicken Chili
The type of beans are pretty versatile as well, I use what I have on hand. White beans are called for but if you wanted to double up on the kidney then have at it.
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- Chicken and olive oil (if cooking fresh vs. pre cooked chicken)
- Taco seasoning
- Chicken stock or broth
- Black beans
If making homemade black beans cook on high pressure using this recipe first.
As you can see, other than 2 items, this is a great pantry item recipe! If you’re looking for a really cheap Instant Pot recipe to stretch your budget, this is a great one.
We have made Crockpot white chicken chili too but this way is much faster. Here are a few questions you might be asking yourself before getting started.
That is totally up to you! If you find a recipe you like, just add precooked chicken, ground beef, shredded pork, or even sausage to the mix. Like more than one, then do half and half for a hearty version.
I think this is a complete meal in itself for sure. With meat and beans together all you’re really missing is a vegetable I guess so you could serve those.
Chili beans that are canned include seasonings where kidney are larger with a tougher skin and plain. You could really use either.
If you want chicken chili no beans you can of course do that too. Using dry beans in Instant Pot, no problem! We have instructions for that method too. It takes longer but some prefer super homemade and fresh to canned.
We used a 13 bean mixture for this pressure cooker chili with dry beans recipe here.
Add what you like and omit what isn’t your favorite. You could load it with vegetables too if you wanted or make it completely vegetarian. It is just a great base to make to your liking. We love this recipe for that very reason.
With a really quick cooking time your white chicken chili recipe will be done a lot faster than in a slow cooker.
- I almost always make this with leftover rotisserie shredded chicken, or our Instant Pot chicken and rice is a close second.
- Done cooking in about 15 minutes it’s not only fast but healthy and super filling too.
Top with things like avocado slices, green chilies, or we love shredded cheddar cheese!! What else should you make next?
We have a bunch of easy Instant Pot chicken recipes to choose from, or:
- Our Instant Pot chili verde is beyond amazing. Throw it inside tortillas for tacos or on top of white rice.
- If you forgot to defrost your meat, pressure cooking frozen chicken in Instant Pot first. Then proceed with the rest of these directions.
- Instant Pot orange chicken is to die for with only a handful of ingredients in it.
- Chili mac in an Instant Pot is a favorite amongst my girls too.
Want a creamier version of this? Try our Instant Pot white chicken chili recipe too.
How long can you leave cooked chili out?
It is recommended that once you’re done cooking it you store it and put it in your fridge within an hour or so. I like to break it up into individual airtight containers so you can reheat easier the next day.
Does chili freeze well?
It does!! As long as you put it into freezer bags or storage containers free from air it can last as long as 6 months. Allow it to defrost before reheating for best results. Microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between times.
Do you let chili cool before freezing?
Whether you want to put it in the fridge or freezer it should always come to room temperature first. This will prevent bacteria from growing inside as rapidly.
White Bean Chicken Chili Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 can black beans 15 oz., drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans 15 oz., drained and rinsed
- 1 can white beans 15 oz., drained and rinsed, also called Northern beans
- 1 can chiles 7 oz. diced with juice
- 1 can rotel 10 oz.
- 2 cans tomato sauce 16 oz. total, 8 oz. each
- Season chicken on both sides with taco seasoning.
- Turn pot to saute and add olive oil. Put in chicken and cook until outsides are browned.
- Remove meat, add a bit of your broth and deglaze, scraping stuck on bits off bottom of pot. Turn pot off.
- Pour in all other ingredients leaving breasts on bottom of pot, do not stir contents.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 10 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Open and shred chicken with 2 forks or chop up on a cutting board and put back into the pot.
- Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, cilantro etc….