Pressure cooker Chinese pepper steak is packed with flavor and perfect for dinner tonight. Throw it into your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi for a healthy meal.
Do you love pepper steak at restaurants? Well this pressure cooker Chinese pepper steak is really easy to make and done in NO time at all. There’s nothing like making a healthy Instant Pot recipe in under 30 minutes that your whole family will enjoy. (originally published 8/19, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Chinese Pepper Steak
You can make this in your Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi too. Any brand will work as long as it has the high pressure function. Electric versions do and it makes the meat super tender.
The beef is tender, packed with flavor, and it’s full of fresh vegetables too. Add as many as you’d like really. a fresh tomato and red bell peppers were used this time. You can make it as spicy as you’d like or mild, that is the great thing about making things homemade.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Pepper Steak
Here’s a peek at the vegetables we used. There are lots of bell peppers that are red but you could use any colors you want. If I find these on sale I will buy a bunch to make this and a batch of green pepper jelly too. You can make that quickly in your IP after this is cleaned up on the saute function.
You can really load up the veggies with this one. They get nice and tender in no time at all. A really healthy one pot meal for sure that even my kids enjoyed.
Make it as spicy as you like or leave it on the milder side. You can do this in several different ways of course. Seasonings like dry Sriracha are great as well as diced jalapeno, use your favorite combos.
Instant Pot Pepper Steak
It is easiest if you do all the prep work beforehand, but that doesn’t take long. You could put the meat and marinade in a freezer bag and put into the fridge overnight too if you wanted.
This would create a really intense flavor since the steak would absorb the sauce. That is totally up to you but that would require you to think about dinner the night before.
What is Chinese pepper?
- Sichuan pepper is a spice in Chinese cuisine that is commonly used in the Sichuan cuisine The pericarp is most often used. The leaves of various species are also used in some regions of China.
You can use regular pepper if you prefer, that is what we feature in this recipe to make it easier.
Pressure cooker Chinese pepper steak
Here are the ingredients we used on this go around, like I said you could add heat with cayenne or dry Sriracha too if you wanted.
- Vegetable oil
- Boneless beef round steak
- Minced garlic
- Black pepper
- or Szechuan pepper diced very small
- Hoisin sauce
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Red bell peppers, cut in strips
- onions and green peppers work too
- Water or broth
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Serve over brown or white rice
- Remove excess fat from your steaks. Cut into thin beef strips.
- Turn your pressure cooker to saute. Add vegetable oil and let it heat for 1-2 minutes, then add in the steak. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, seasonings, hoisin sauce, sugar, tomato and bell peppers. Turn pot off.
- Whisk cornstarch with the cold water or broth in a small cup until smooth. Pour it into the your pressure cooker and stir all the ingredients together.
- Close the lid and steam valve.
- Set to pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, followed by a natural release for 2 minutes. Then release rest of steam.
- Serve beef and peppers on top of rice! A splash of soy sauce on top is great too.
It is a bit like our Instant Pot stir fry but with some heat!
What kind of beef is used for a stir fry?
- Most use the tenderest beef cuts such as sirloin, tri-tip, ribeye, top loin (strip), tenderloin, shoulder center, or shoulder petite tender. All of these can be cut into strips for use in traditional or unique stir fry recipes like these.
Another similar dish you’ve got to make are our air fryer fajitas!
If you love this one, try our pressure cooker hoisin chicken which has some of the same flavors. It is mild and has chicken instead of beef, a great dinner for tomorrow night though.
Looking for other pressure cooker Ninja Foodi recipes?
- Pressure cooker sausage, onions and peppers is so easy, cheap and healthy.
- Ninja Foodi beef and broccoli is a simple meal too that’s good for you.
- Then try Instant Pot fajitas with tons of bell peppers.
- And our 3 ingredient Instant Pot teriyaki chicken is to die for.
Let us know what you think of this Instant Pot pepper steak recipe.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Pressure Cooker Chinese Pepper Steak
- Remove excess fat from steaks. Cut steak into thin strips and peppers into thick slices.
- Turn the pressure cooker on to saute mode. Add olive oil and let it heat for 1-2 minutes and then add in the steak.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic, seasonings, hoisin sauce, sugar, tomato and bell peppers. Turn pot off.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the water or broth in a small cup until smooth. Pour it into the pressure cooker and stir all the ingredients together.
- Close the lid on the pressure cooker. Turn the pressure valve to sealing.Set for a manual high-pressure time of 3 minutes.
- Allow for a natural release for 2 minutes at the end of the cooking time. Serve over rice!