Best grilled steak recipe with a dry rub AND what temperature to cook rare, medium or well done beef so it comes out perfectly every time.
This is the best grilled steak recipe you can make with taco seasoning or our famous rub! We also share how to tell if your meat is to you liking without cutting into it. Get ready for dinner! (affiliate links present)
Best Steak Seasoning Recipe for Grilling
Ok so it all starts with what is on the outside right? I mean you could just sprinkle with salt and pepper but please my friends, use something bolder. This steak dry rub is sweet and savory. Add more chili powder for heat, my amt. is mild.
Alternatively if you want something ready made but with a lot of flavor you could just use taco seasoning. Easy peasy but does the trick.
We’re going to do these two different ways. Some like it as is, especially if you are following a low carb keto diet. Others (like my kiddos) want to “beef it up” as it may. I like it sliced inside tortillas too. 😉
So once you have your grilled steak done just right, and rested appropriately you too can set out a steak taco bar, or serve as is with baked potatoes.
- Steak can be T-bone, Sirloin, Rib eye, Porterhouse the choice is up to you my friends. I am sure you have a favorite.
- Rub can be just massaging this in or making our recipe shared below in our recipe card. Takes under 15 minutes and is so worth it:
- brown sugar will give it more color and a bit more of a char on the outside as the sugars caramelize
- chili powder
- salt and garlic powder
To make a wrap you’d need tortillas, salsa, cheese, cilantro and sour cream is a great addition too.
How do you grill the perfect steak?
There are a few tips you should follow to get the OH MY from your spouse and everyone at your get together if you have guests over.
- Start with this printable on what temperature to cook steak? Then everyone gets the insides they want without complaint.
- Remember that meat will continue cooking once it’s removed by about 2 more degrees F too.
- Close the lid in order to keep the temperature high and even.
- ONLY flip your meat once. Place it on the grill for 2-5 minutes, flip and do the same (refer to timing chart above), then remove steaks and rest covered.
- Always allow your steak to rest, covered for 5 minutes before slicing.
We’re going to prepare these babies before cooking though!
Should you put butter on steak?
Some swear by it. I do this “trick” to make my best baked pork chops out of this world amazing. I will say it adds great flavor and moisture too. Sometimes I will and other times I forget and these are still incredible.
If you haven’t tried it, I would. Just slice about 1/2 tbsp. of cold or room temperature salted butter on top of your seasoned beef. Cook or grill as desired and see if it is a new must for you too.
How do you properly grill?
- Clean your grate.
- Wait until charcoal is 2/3 of the way white in color and has stopped smoking. Do not add meat until it has burned to an even temperature across the entire area. See photo above for reference.
- For gas grills heat to high, then heat to medium right before adding food.
- Allow meat to come closer to room temperature vs. right out of the fridge.
- Don’t move your meat once it is set down and only flip it once.
- Do NOT smash or flatten down burgers or thick steaks to get them done faster.
- Use a meat thermometer to check temp., remember it will increase about 2 degrees while resting.
Again, Always rest your meat before slicing!
Here are brief step by step directions but the entire printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post too.
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Best Grilled Steak Recipe
Start grill with charcoal, allow flames to die down and become almost all white in order to create an even heat across the grates.
Prepare steak rub, link above, or just rub taco seasoning on both sides of all pieces.
Then add room temperature seasoned meat on grill and cook for 2-5 minutes on each side, or longer depending on how well done or medium rare you want them to be.
Thick cuts will obviously take longer than others, that is why checking the internal temperature is way more important than cook time.
2 is closer to rare where 5 each side will be more well done.
Remove when the desired temp. is reached and set aside covered for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
What is the best way to reheat steak?
If you do have leftovers store them in the fridge inside an airtight freezer bag. The way I prefer is to let it come to room temp, cube it up, toss it with some bbq or teriyaki sauce and throw it into the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
Looking for other easy steak recipes to try this week? We have a few more using different inside methods you might appreciate as well such as:
- Instant Pot steak and potatoes is a one pot meal many swear by.
- Or use your “other pot” to make slow cooker steak and taters too.
- I swear our air fryer steak bites are incredibly easy to make and make everyone’s mouth water.
- Of course chicken fried steak is a bit different but I had to throw that out there because using a light breading is just out of this world.
- If you love cheap cuts, give our air fryer cube steak a whirl that is marinated in teriyaki sauce. Yeah, it’s mouth watering seriously.
Then try our smoked pork steaks with a similar rub that makes them out of control deliciousness.
Nutritional information is below but is general. These will all vary depending on the saturated fat content in your cut so keep that in mind. Just enjoy it though y’all!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Best Grilled Steak Recipe
- Prepare grill with charcoal, allow flames to die down to create an even heat across the grates before adding meat.
- Prepare steak rub, link above, or just rub taco seasoning on both sides of all pieces.
- Place steaks on grill and cook for 2-5 minutes on each side, or longer depending on how well done you want them to be. 2 is closer to rare where 5 each side will be more well done.
- Remove when the desired temp. is reached and set aside covered for at least 5 minutes before slicing.