Instant Pot meatballs can be made 4 different ways with frozen meatballs from the store! Get ready for the best pressure cooker dinner or appetizer.
Once you’ve made your first batch of Instant Pot meatballs your life will be changed. lol. Ok maybe not to that extent, but you will know how to throw together a tasty appetizer in no time at all. If you love easy Instant Pot recipes then this one, well actually four, are for you! (affiliate links present)
We will start with a few basics when it comes to cooking meatballs in your Instant Pot. 99% of the time they’ll be in a bag and frozen, let’s start from there.
- I described here how to cook pressure cooker frozen meatballs here. That’s where this whole thing started…
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
It’s great to know how to defrost these so you can use them in a multitude of recipes like our Crockpot spaghetti and meatballs with pasta sauce.
- Within that post I share how to make these grape jelly meatball recipe too. They’re the best appetizer seriously.
Now if you want to make a heartier Instant Pot side dish sort of meal, try these Asian meatballs here. This could almost be a main dish though really.
- Can you use these same instructions if you have a Ninja Foodi? Absolutely! If you haven’t figured it out yet, they’re interchangeable.
- You can use any and all pressure cooker recipes in either pot. The Crockpot Express and Mealthy work the same way too.
Instant Pot meatballs
- Pour a cup of water into your inner pot.
- Place basket inside and open it up.
- Dump frozen meatballs inside and close your lid and steam valve.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Drain water and dump tender meatballs into your pot.
- In a separate bowl whisk together your sauce ingredients and pour that inside with your bell peppers.
Set pot to saute and allow to bubble. This will allow the veggies to soften and meat to soak up a bit of this yummy Asian sauce.
There are a ton of variations for this though. If you just want an appetizer with toothpicks you might want to omit the peppers entirely. Want a bit of heat? Add some chili powder into the mix.
Once you have them defrosted and nice and tender you can choose the sauce. If you’re in a hurry a bottle of barbecue sauce, grape jelly and chili sauce will do the trick.
- Just set to saute, whisk these 3 items together in the pot until smooth and then add your meatballs. Allow to bubble for a few minutes and you’re set.
Another easy one are our cranberry meatballs with a homemade tangy bbq sauce perfect for the holidays.
If you want to make something more from scratch with an Asian flare, this one is great below. Sweet, tangy and with as much heat as you desire, people will surely fall all over these Instant Pot meatballs.
Meatballs in an Instant Pot
- Frozen meatballs in a bag
- Bell peppers
- Onion is great too
- Water or broth
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Minced garlic and ginger
- Hoisin sauce
- Sesame seeds are a nice touch
Toothpicks are needed if serving as a football party food.
Looking for more great finger foods to serve your guests?
- Try cooking Instant Pot chicken wings from frozen too
- Here are some appetizers with bacon that are to die for
Want to cook meatballs in an air fryer too? I prefer fresh ground beef for these but they’re super amazing and keto friendly too. If you’re looking for a low carb meal this one is delicious.
Our final recipe you can try are our Instant Pot Swedish meatballs which use a homemade sauce everyone goes crazy for.
I made homemade ground beef meatballs for this recipe using bread crumbs, egg, and a few other ingredients. You could use your own recipe for those and saute in the pot first.
- If you make homemade you need to make sure you deglaze the pot after cooking them in order to avoid the burn notice.
- This might be a better option if you need a gluten free recipe, that way you know exactly what’s inside the meat mixture.
If you aren’t keen on this sauce you could from there cook them in spaghetti sauce or a mixture of your own tomato sauces. Pressure cook for just a short cooking time and serve with 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese on top. An easy meal for sure.
Once you’re done you can keep any of these Instant Pot meatballs versions inside a slow cooker on warm. A great option if you’re having a party with multiple people.
Instant Pot Meatballs
- Pour water into pot and place trivet inside. Pour frozen meatballs inside and close lid. Close steam valve as well.
- Set to pressure high for 6 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Take meatballs out and drain water. Put meatballs back into pot.
- In a separate bowl whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic and ginger as well as your hoisin sauce. Pour this into your pot over your meatballs. Add bell peppers if you're adding those.
- Set pot to saute. Gently stir together so sauce coats veggies and meatballs. Allow to slowly simmer so sauce thickens and bell peppers slightly soften. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top!