Instant Pot barbecue meatballs are the perfect appetizer! This is how to cook Instant Pot frozen meatballs with a sweet and tangy sauce as well as other quick snacks you can serve!
Do you love getting together with friends and/or watching the big game, this party appetizer is amazing. When you have kids sometimes it is easier to let’s say homegate rather than tailgage. These Dr Pepper Instant Pot barbecue meatballs are the perfect snack!! Sponsored by FarmRich (originally published 11/17, affiliate links present) It’s one of our favorite side dish Instant Pot recipes.
Ninja Foodi Meatballs
Let’s say it’s football season and you need the best Super Bowl appetizer ever. Starting off with frozen meatballs right out of the bag and adding a fabulous sauce is where it’s at y’all.
Now let’s make it an Instant Pot appetizer on top of that so you can spend less time in the kitchen and enjoy your football party too! You can make these in any brand of pot you have. Mealthy, Crockpot Express or make as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe too. They all work the same really.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot BBQ Meatballs
We shared how to cook meatballs on the stovetop recently and you can use that method too, but this is faster. Compared to that one you’re talking 30 minutes to a quick 5. If you don’t use this machine like every single day you’re crazy. It makes life easier from breakfast to dessert and every meal in between.
- Meatballs – frozen, we used Italian style
- Frozen mozzarella Sticks
- As an added appetizer on the table
- Football field tablecloth to jazz things up for your football party
- Ingredients to make this homemade Dr Pepper barbecue sauce + 1 can to drink!
- Or you could make air fryer frozen meatballs and just toss with spaghetti sauce for a quick one
Of course you could use your own version of sweet and spicy barbeque sauce but many times I am in a hurry and making multiple dishes at once so I err on the side of easy peasy. Sweet Baby Rays has a ton of varieties, I just wouldn’t choose the honey style of any of them or else your pot may think it is burning since it’s so thick.
Frozen Meatballs Instant Pot BBQ
It’s sweet with a bit of spice to it and pairs with meatballs perfectly! There is something totally unique about Dr Pepper as it is a blend of 23 flavors and makes every sip and recipe you make with it truly unique!
- Since we are focusing on quick and easy (totally my style) we are going to use Farm Rich Italian style Meatballs and mozzarella sticks found in the frozen food section.
- We will show you exactly how to cook frozen meatballs in this “magic machine” of yours below. And we’re not even bother to defrost them first!!
The ooey gooey Mozzarella sticks come out perfectly crispy in the oven after only about 8 minutes, and putting these meatballs into our pressure cooker makes this yummy appetizer even quicker to make!
Another great benefit is that the flavor is really locked in while they bubble and simmer for their 5 minute trip inside our pressure cooking pot. 😉
Meatballs in Instant Pot
If you’re like us your family is BUSY, so anything that makes my life easier I’m all about….that’s why Farm Rich snacks are perfect for busy weekdays and get togethers!
Ready made and just waiting for you to warm them up in the oven (or the Instant Pot in our case), it’s no wonder they’re America’s favorite snacks and appetizers brand. If you don’t have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker….
You can still make these Instant Pot barbecue meatballs on your stovetop!
- Just add your frozen meatballs into a pot
- Whisk your sauce together and pour in it
- Stir so meatballs are covered
- Set to low/medium heat
- Allow to boil until meatballs are as tender as you’d like them
Instant Pot Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
To either one of these methods you can add some heat with red pepper flakes, chili sauce or a few tbsp of Sriracha. Taste along the way and adjust. Sweetness can be adjusted with a tbsp of brown sugar at the end too. You could make a second batch with a jar of spaghetti sauce too like you see here.
Of course if you’re sitting down to watch the game, and/or having people over you need more than one thing to snack on. So frozen Mozzarella sticks are a great duo. Just pop them in the oven and they are perfectly crispy on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside after only about 8 minutes!
Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs
If you wanted lower fat versions you can find turkey vs. beef at the store, almost everywhere too. I preheat the oven once I set the time on my pressure cooker which makes everything done around the same time. Eat as is or serve with a side of marinara sauce or ranch dressing. O h they are so good!
- Add your Dr Pepper and all other ingredients into your pot and whisk together until smooth (if using just a bottle of bbq sauce by itself don’t use honey style sauce, and use same amt of soda)
- a jar of pasta sauce works too
- Dump frozen meatballs on top and gently stir so all meatballs are coated with sauce.
- Set pressure cooker to manual cook on high pressure for 5 minutes cooking time or low for about 8. Times vary according to how tender you like and how large your meatballs are, them but this works for us.
- Do a quick release.
- Allow to cool so sauce thickens a bit, serve!
How do you thicken bbq meatballs
If you think the sauce isn’t thick enough for you then remove the meat, set pot to saute and in a small dish whisk together 1 tbsp of cornstarch + 3 tbsp of your soda or water until smooth. When it bubbles pour this in and stir. It will get thicker for ya’. 😉
If you wanted to make our basic meatball recipe with ground beef, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese etc… in a bowl mix together and saute with a bit of oil first, then follow the rest of these instructions.
How to save leftover cooked meatballs
Wait until they are cooled and then transfer to a sealed container. You will want to keep as much sauce inside as possible so they remain moist and don’t dry out. Store in fridge for up to 3 days and reheat in the microwave when you’re ready. Jump to recipe and let us know what you think!!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Barbecue Meatballs
- 1-2 bag frozen meatballs 28-32 ounces
- BBQ Sauce use this bbq sauce and soda OR the grape jelly chili sauce sauce, your choice. Choose ONE
- 1 jar barbecue sauce 16 oz.
- 1/2 c Dr Pepper
- Grape Jelly Chili Sauce
- 18 oz grape jelly
- 1 jar chili sauce 12 oz.
- 1/4 c Sriracha
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes if you want to make it spicy, omit for mild/medium heat and just add sriracha only
- 3/4 c Dr. Pepper or water
- Pour your sauce ingredients (one of the choices above, not both) into pot and whisk together so it is smooth. Add meatballs and toss so they are all nicely coated.
- Set Instant Pot – pressure cooker to manual, pressure, high, for 5 minutes or low for about 8 (times vary according to how tender you like and how large your meatballs are, them but this works for us).
- Do a quick release.
- Check meatballs and make sure they are cooked thru (if very large may need to put on saute just until done but 5 min should be adequate to cook most frozen meatballs in a pressure cooker).