Easy toaster oven recipes are here. How to cook in it, do’s and don’ts of what not to do and tips on baking and cooking dinners. Answering questions such as can you put aluminum foil in the toaster oven and more. A great alternative for baking in small spaces or when you don’t have a traditional oven to cook in.
In the case that you are traveling in an RV, living in a hotel for a bit or your oven has broken you can still cook recipes in a toaster oven quite well. From cooking frozen foods, to snacks, reheating leftovers or baking potatoes we have instructions for you here. (affiliate links present)
How to Cook in a Toaster Oven
First, place your toaster oven on a flat and stable surface. If your counters are stone or quartz I recommend putting a placemat or trivet underneath. I learned the hard way that extreme heat on top can crack it and that is costly and no fun at all.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
- Plug in the toaster oven and set the temperature according to the recipe you’re using. Most toaster ovens have a temperature range of 150°F to 450°F.
- Next, select the cooking mode. Most toaster ovens have several cooking modes, including bake, broil, toast, and convection. Select the cooking mode according to the recipe you’re using.
- Once the temperature and cooking mode are set, preheat the toaster oven. Allow the toaster oven to heat up for a few minutes before placing your food inside.
- If you’re toasting bread or bagels, simply place them directly on the rack inside the toaster
- when baking or broiling food, place it on a baking sheet or in an oven-safe dish
- I use the rack first, then the tray fir baking potatoes in a toaster oven to get it crispy at the very end.
- When your food is ready, turn off the toaster oven and carefully remove your food using oven mitts or a heat-resistant spatula.
Clean the toaster oven after each use. Wait for it to cool down, then wipe it with a damp cloth or sponge. Make sure to remove any crumbs or food particles from the tray or rack.
Recipes in Toaster Oven
There are a lot of delicious recipes that you can make using a toaster oven! You can use oven safe small dishes to cook baked eggs in a cup for breakfast even. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Roasted Vegetables: Preheat your toaster oven to 400°F. Toss your favorite cut up produce (such as broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower) with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the veggies out on your aluminum baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until tender and browned.
- Baked Potatoes: Preheat to 400 degrees F. Wash and dry the outsides with paper towels well. Then pierce each one a few times with a fork.
- Rub the skins with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and tender, enjoy as a side dish or fill with chili as a main meal.
- Toasted Sandwiches: Make your favorite grilled cheese in toaster oven, add ham, tuna melt then place it in on the flat aluminum baking tray.
- Use toast setting for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
- Pizza Toast is a fun one too this way!
- Toasted peanut butter and jelly is a fun one too for kiddos.
This is much faster too compared to let’s say Toasting a Bagel in the Oven, make Garlic Bread in Toaster Oven instead. No more heating up the whole house to do so. Cut the timing in half basically and achieve the same crispiness.
What Can You Make in a Toaster Oven
You don’t have to just bake Salmon Toaster Oven from scratch though. When it comes to frozen foods you can do it all. Many of the newer bags will have air fryer directions on them now, follow those temps and times. If not use the oven directions. Make sure the rack is furthest from the heating coils so the outside doesn’t get too browned.
- Mini Pizzas: Use pita bread or English muffins as the base for your mini homemade pizzas for lunch or dinner.
- Top with tomato sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings, such as pepperoni, olives, and mushrooms.
- Bake setting is used at 350 F for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Fish sticks or fillets: Preheat to 400° F. Season your fish with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Place on the small baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and flaky.
- Baked Apples: Core your apples and place them in a baking dish.
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake in the for 20-25 minutes, or until the apples are soft and caramelized.
- Chicken Parmesan: Dunk the breasts in whisked egg, then in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, set on flat solid tray on lowest spot in your oven.
- Use bake setting for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Top with tomato sauce and more Parmesan cheese, and return to the toaster oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Use bake setting for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Savory Hand Pies can be filled with all sorts of things. Using puff pastry just seal the edges, pierce the top so it can vent and bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes until browned and crispy.
OR make a healthier alternative like toaster oven chicken breast for a meal and OMG is that good. These are just a few ideas to get you started. With a little creativity, you can make many delicious meals and treats using your toaster oven!
Toaster Oven Recipes for Two
Ideal for making a small batch of anything really. If you only have a few to cook for this is a great method to cook things like a few Toaster Oven Hot Dogs and other snacks for sure.
You can if they are oven safe up to the temperature you are using. This can be a great way to bake individual single serving cakes, mini quiche or an egg cracked inside.
Yes, you can bake cookies in a toaster oven. Preheat the toaster oven to the temperature specified in your cookie recipe. Place the cookie dough on a baking sheet or toaster oven-safe tray and bake according to the recipe instructions. Keep an eye on the cookies as they may cook faster in a toaster oven than in a regular oven.
Do’s and Dont’s for Using a Toaster Oven
Can you put aluminum foil in the toaster oven? You can use aluminum foil on or around the food being cooked, but never place or wrap it around the crumb tray, the floor, the walls, or along the entire rack. Doing so will cause overheating and a possible fire. If you do wrap your food in it make sure it does not touch the heating element. Give it plenty of space between the two.
- Plastic: Avoid using plastic containers or wrap in your toaster oven, as they can melt and release harmful chemicals.
- Wet or damp items: Do not put wet or damp items in your toaster oven, as they can cause the appliance to short-circuit or malfunction.
- Greasy or fatty foods: Greasy or fatty foods can splatter and cause a fire in your toaster oven. If you’re cooking fatty foods, make sure to place them on a baking sheet or use a baking dish to catch any drips.
- Over-sized or heavy items: Avoid putting over-sized or heavy items in your toaster oven, as they can damage the appliance or cause it to tip over.
- Glass cookware: While some toaster ovens are safe to use with glass cookware, others are not. Check the manufacturer’s instructions before using glass cookware in your toaster oven.
By avoiding these items, you can ensure that your toaster oven stays in good condition and functions safely. Then make not only dinners but sweets like Toaster Oven Cookies.
Do Toaster Ovens Save Energy
Making Eggs in Toaster Oven can be more energy efficient than traditional ovens or a pan depending on how they are used. If you think about it they are typically smaller than their larger counterparts which means they use less energy to heat up and cook food.
Because they are smaller, they can cook food like Chicken Breast in a Toaster Oven more quickly which means that they can use less energy overall, as they don’t need to run for as long. If they are used to cook small or single servings, they don’t require as much energy either.
It’s important to note that they can however use a lot more energy if they are used frequently or for large servings. Some have high wattage or power usage, which can increase their energy consumption too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Toaster Oven Recipes
- Preheat your toaster oven to 380 degrees for 5 minutes with the rack in the middle row.
- Butter bread slices on one side. prepare tuna with mayo, relish and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Put butter sides facing out and fill inside of sandwich with tuna mixture and slice of cheese.
- Set sandwich(s) on metal tray (may drip) and set on rack in oven. Cook until outside bread is lightly browned and cheese melts, about 4 minutes or so.