These easy savory breakfast muffins are fabulous when you’re on the go! Packed with leftover ham or turkey and cheese they have an amazing flavor and the perfect finger food in the morning. A great brunch biscuit when you’re having people over or for a busy day.
You have got to make these leftover ham or turkey savory breakfast muffins! My kids love them as an on the go meal in the morning, and they’re a great item to make after the holidays or for a brunch item. Packed with ham, cheese, peppers and anything else you think you might love they are loaded with flavor. Special thanks goes out to Horizon Organic for sponsoring this post so we could share a favorite breakfast recipe with all of you. (originally published 3/18)
We actually call them biscuit muffins because the consistency is a cross between the two, and they’re best eaten right out of the oven…melt a tab of butter in the middle for extra goodness. 😉
- Breakfast muffins are great to integrate a lot of ingredients and leftovers into one finger food for busy mornings, and save well for the day after too.
So good right??!!
Picture a cheesy biscuit with bits of ham, bell peppers, onions, and a creamy butter flavor. That’s what these are.
- Just throw it all together, scoop into a muffin pan and they’re ready to go when time is short (always for us) and you need a hearty breakfast.
You know what’s great about these savory breakfast muffins, other than they are delicious…most of the ingredients you already have at home I bet! We always have Horizon Organic milk, butter, eggs, and several different types of cheese on hand.
Since I cook almost every night I always have onions on hand (inexpensive way to add lots of flavor to almost any dish), so the only thing I usually need is ham.
- BUT after the holidays I always have a lot of leftover ham so these are always on the menu then!
As for the bell peppers they are optional, but a great add in for flavor, color, and a bit of texture too.
Here’s what you need to make these easy savory breakfast muffins
- Self rising flour
- Horizon Organic milk – 2% or whole is best
- Bell peppers
- Horizon Organic butter
- Salt – optional
- Diced ham – great way to use leftover ham too after the holidays
- Horizon Organic cheese – we use white cheddar and mozzarella
- Muffin liners & pan
I tend to use what is on hand. If I didn’t have ham, or if you wanted to make a meat less option you could leave that part out.
Like I said, the texture of these are a cross between breakfast biscuits and muffins. With all the goodies inside they don’t rise and puff up like a traditional sweet muffin would, which makes sense, but I guarantee they will be a favorite in your house too when you try them.
I love homemade savory muffins but tend to run short on time, that’s why I love the ease of these.
Let us know what you think when you make them! 😉
Here’s the printable recipe and how you make leftover ham biscuits!
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes??
Here’s the printable recipe for our breakfast muffins.
Savory Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl combine your self rising flour, eggs, melted butter, milk, and garlic salt. Mix well, it will be lumpy.
- Fold in all diced vegetables and ham into your dough slowly so they don't break apart a lot but so that they are integrated and all flour is mixed in.
- Line muffin pan with muffin papers (or you can use non stick spray and not use liners). Fill each cup 3/4-full. (they won't rise a lot to you can fill quite a bit)
- Put in oven for about 23 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown.
- Breakfast biscuits / muffins are best when served immediately. Store leftovers in air tight container or storage bag for best results. Can freeze as well in air tight freezer bags.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉