These easy savory breakfast muffins are fabulous when you’re on the go! Packed with leftover ham or turkey and cheese they have an amazing flavor and the perfect finger food in the morning. A great brunch biscuit when you’re having people over or for a busy day.
You have got to make these leftover ham or turkey savory breakfast muffins! My kids love them as an on the go meal in the morning, and they’re a great item to make after the holidays and one of the best muffin recipes ever. Sponsored by Horizon Organic. (originally published 3/18)
Packed with ham, cheese, peppers and anything else you think you might love these veggie muffins are loaded with flavor.
We actually call them biscuit muffins because the consistency is a cross between the two, and they’re best eaten right out of the oven…melt a tab of butter in the middle for extra goodness. 😉
- Breakfast muffins are great to integrate a lot of ingredients and leftovers into one finger food for busy mornings, and save well for the day after too.
So good right??!!
Picture a cheesy biscuit with bits of ham, bell peppers, onions, and a creamy butter flavor. That’s what these are.
- Just throw it all together, scoop into a muffin pan and they’re ready to go when time is short (always for us) and you need a hearty breakfast.
You know what’s great about these savory breakfast muffins, other than they are delicious…most of the ingredients you already have at home I bet! We always have Horizon Organic milk, butter, eggs, and several different types of cheese on hand.
Since I cook almost every night I always have onions on hand (inexpensive way to add lots of flavor to almost any dish), so the only thing I usually need is ham.
- BUT after the holidays I always have a lot of leftover ham so these are always on the menu then!
As for the bell peppers they are optional, but a great add in for flavor, color, and a bit of texture too.
Savory breakfast muffins
- Self rising flour
- Horizon Organic milk – 2% or whole is best
- Bell peppers
- Horizon Organic butter
- Salt – optional
- Diced ham – great way to use leftover ham too after the holidays
- Horizon Organic cheese – we use white cheddar and mozzarella
- Muffin liners & pan
I tend to use what is on hand. If I didn’t have ham, or if you wanted to make a meat less option you could leave that part out.
Like I said, the texture of these are a cross between breakfast biscuits and muffins. With all the goodies inside they don’t rise and puff up like a traditional sweet muffin would, which makes sense, but I guarantee they will be a favorite in your house too when you try them.
I love homemade savory muffins but tend to run short on time, that’s why I love the ease of these.
Let us know what you think when you make them! 😉
Here’s the printable recipe and how you make leftover ham biscuits!
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes??
Here’s the printable recipe for our breakfast muffins.
Savory Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl combine your self rising flour, eggs, melted butter, milk, and garlic salt. Mix well, it will be lumpy.
- Fold in all diced vegetables and ham into your dough slowly so they don’t break apart a lot but so that they are integrated and all flour is mixed in.
- Line muffin pan with muffin papers (or you can use non stick spray and not use liners). Fill each cup 3/4-full. (they won’t rise a lot to you can fill quite a bit)
- Put in oven for about 23 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown.
- Breakfast biscuits / muffins are best when served immediately. Store leftovers in air tight container or storage bag for best results. Can freeze as well in air tight freezer bags.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉