How to make lollipop chicken drumsticks in the oven, grilled on your barbecue or smoked is here! Lollipopped chicken legs are so fun for kids.
Lollipop chicken drumsticks are so fun! Whether you bake them in your oven, on the grill or otherwise they will become your children’s favorite meal and you’ll be hooked too. One of many quick and easy chicken recipes we’ve shared recently on the blog. (affiliate links present)
Chicken Leg Lollipops
Have you ever heard of these? Maybe you went to your favorite bbq joint and they were on the menu. You thought whaaa???? When you see them though the name kinda’ makes sense. I mean talk about two favorite things kids love all lumped into one. I don’t know about yours but typically, chicken legs are their favorite meat of all time.
Make it super easy to eat and call it a lollipop and believe me, they won’t hesitate to taste them. The sauce and/or seasonings are totally versatile too. You should use your favorite blend. If you just want to go super easy and sprinkle homemade Lawrys seasoned salt on top, that works too.
Want some heat, spicy is always a winner too depending on the person.
How to Make Chicken Lollipop
Ok so how do you prepare these babies at the beginning so they look like they do. Flat on the meatier end so they can sit flat on a baking sheet, grill or Traeger grate. That is easy as long as you have a really sharp knife on hand. That is key or you’ll get frustrated and you won’t get a clean cut either.
Hate wasting food and it kills you to throw the end you cut off in the trash? I totally get you, I’m kinda’ the same way. NO worries because I have the best answer for you, make a pot of homemade chicken broth with them!! This is what you’re going to want to have on hand in order to get started on these;
- Chicken legs that are defrosted, I prefer medium size organic but to each their own
- Olive oil
- Your favorite seasonings
- Cutting board and a sharp knife or kitchen shears
- A brush is handy to have to use with the oil
- Baking sheet that is non stick or lay foil on top
- If you are making marinated chicken before baking you’ll want that sauce and a gallon freezer bag handy for soaking
You could use teriyaki (my preference), barbecue sauce, ginger garlic blend or just soy sauce. If you want these sweet and spicy I would use our chicken dry rub recipe with 1 tsp (or more) of red pepper flakes added. We use this for chicken wings, thighs, all the things and it is great.
If you wanted to make more of a fried chicken creation you could roll in shake n bake. That will give it more of a deep fry crispy taste. I think a rub with some sauce at the end is the best combo we have tried. Yes you could also heat oil and actually fry them to a golden brown in a deep pan as well.
Air Fryer Lollipop Chicken
Want to make air fryer drumstick lollipops? You can do that as well. The cook time isn’t much different than if you left the end on. You would just decrease it by 2 minutes or so. Always have a meat thermometer on hand no matter which one of these chicken lollipops recipe ideas you make.
Grilled Lollipop Chicken Legs
Grilled chicken drumsticks until internal temperature reaches 170°F. This will take about 30 minutes or so. You’ll want to turn each one at least twice in order to rotate it above the heat source in order to crisp the skin.
- If you’re using an electric grill I’d set to cook at 350 F
- For a charcoal grill you always want to lite the coals and wait until they are white before adding food to the grate
- Set pieces on the grill as you see here until the thickest part reaches 170 internal meat temperature
- For crispier skin, rotate 2-3 times, set like this at first, then after 10 minutes turn on it’s side, one more rotation after 10 or so final minutes to brown the other side
* Timing will vary depending on how big and thick your pieces are. If you want to brush with your favorite sauce or bbq glaze, do so after it has grilled for about 20 minutes so it can begin to brown and bake on.
How to Lollipop Chicken Drumsticks in Oven
If you want to use your oven to make spicy, lightly seasoned, or teriyaki lollipop chicken you can totally do that too! With this method you’ll want to have a bit of foil on hand to wrap the ends, then follow these directions;
You should first prepare legs, add into gallon freezer bag with something like our homemade teriyaki sauce, then put into fridge for 6-8 hours before cooking.
- Put 1 chicken leg on cutting board on it’s side and cut off the top 1″ thru the bone and meat so it is now flat on that end. Do this for all the pcs. you want to bake. Push meat down off the long bone as much as possible.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay non stick foil on a baking sheet and set aside.
- One at a time brush olive oil on meat end + sprinkle your dry rub or seasoning all over the skin and your meat. Sit on your baking sheet with the flat/cut end facing down until they are all coated.
- Use small pieces of foil to wrap each bone end, not covering up any skin or meat below.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes total or until internal temp. reaches 165 F. at it’s thickest part. * If you want to brush bbq sauce on each one, do so 5 minutes before they are done (at minute 15) so that can brown and get sticky wonderful.
- Remove, allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
The great thing about wrapping the “holder end” in foil at the beginning is once they are done fingers won’t get burned. If you skip this step the bone will get really hot and it will be harder to just grab and enjoy right away.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Lollipop Chicken Drumsticks
- * If you want to marinate instead of using a dry rub you should prepare legs, add into gallon freezer bag with sauce and put into fridge for 6-8 hours before cooking *
- Put 1 chicken leg on cutting board on it's side and cut off the top 1" thru the bone and meat so it is now flat on that end. Push the meat down so the bone is naked. Do this for all the pcs. you want to bake.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lay non stick aluminum foil on a baking sheet (or use non stick sheet) and set aside.
- One at a time brush olive oil on each piece (on the skin and meat end), then liberally sprinkle your dry rub or seasoning all over the skin and the flat end of your meat.
- Sit on your baking sheet with the flat/cut end facing down until they are all coated. Use small pieces of foil to wrap each bone end, not covering up any skin or meat below.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes total or until internal temp. reaches 165 F. at it's thickest part. * If you want to brush bbq sauce on each one, do so 5 minutes before they are done (at minute 15) so that can brown and get sticky wonderful.
- Remove, allow to cool at least 5 minutes, then serve with foil in tact so the holding end is cooled to the touch.