Air fryer meatloaf wrapped bacon is delicious, pure comfort food! Use ground beef or make bacon wrapped turkey meatloaf for a protein packed dinner. If you loved our smoked bacon wrapped meatloaf you are going to love this one cooked fast with a crispy outside.
Now we have made Instant Pot turkey meatloaf and that is always a hit, but this meatloaf with bacon wouldn’t work well in that pot. When it comes to pork you want it crispy crunchy right?? You’d need to bake in the oven or using hot air with your multi cooker is even better. (affiliate links present)
To do that you are going to need an oven or make it as an air fryer recipe y’all. Let’s talk about all the other options out there. We have an AirWave, Cosori, and now there are lids you can put on your pressure cooker too.
Air Fryer Meatloaf Recipe
Years ago we made this Ninja Foodi meatloaf with bbq sauce on top. Amazing and we love that but that used both the pressure cooker and air crisp methods. We wanted to share how to use just how to air fry it this time, and other methods too along the way. So here we go……
Now when it comes to the middle main part you can use your own favorite mix. I have a ton of possibilities on my site since I make it a few times a month. Depending on what you have in the pantry and what binder you like using we will share a few here along the way. Meatloaf Without Breadcrumbs is a great one if you’d rather use oats.
Turkey Meatloaf Wrapped in Bacon
We have done this same thing to cover the outside of the meat with pork when making our bacon wrapped whole chicken too! Now that is beyond amazing but does take a bit more prep work but serves about the same amount of guests. I’d say you’re good with a few side dishes for 4-5 people to enjoy this and fill their bellies.
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey, ground beef, or half this and half ground pork for meat mixture
- 1 egg
- Parmesan cheese or breadcrumbs work instead
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon
Now to make this as a Spicy Meatloaf Recipe you can brush the same sauce as this one over the top to add a bit of heat. Like I said, there are TONS of versions when it comes to this old fashioned meal idea. If your mom has one passed down by generations by all means use that instead for the center.
When it comes to the strips I do NOT like thick cut. The bite is a bit rubbery and it really doesn’t get that crispiness that is nice to have when done. Best yet is uncured if you ask me.
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf Recipe
We talk all about how long to cook meatloaf here at different temperatures and pans. This way is quite fast. You have to like a bit of crisp though. If not this dish is not for you. There’s just a thin layer you slice thru while the ground turkey remains juicy and soft.
Now the first question you might have is whether you can use aluminum foil in this machine or not. The answer is yes and no meaning that as long as it is kept away from the heating coils you are good. It’s used to catch the drippings and can cover the top for a bit so the outsides don’t get too browned. That is all.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat, egg, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to form our quick meatloaf recipe.
- Preheat air fryer basket to 380 degrees.
- Lay bacon down slightly overlapping on a cutting board, set meat in middle and wrap around your loaf. Lay a large piece of foil down and set wrapped meatloaf in center.
- Fold up sides to create a sort of boat for it to sit in. Place foil boat in your preheated.
- Air fry at 380 F for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature with meat thermometer in center reaches 160 degrees F.
- if you’d rather it be baked in the oven use the same temp, set on a baking sheet for
Tip: If bacon begins to crisp around minute 40 and brown too quickly, simply cover top with the sides of your tin foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
How to Make Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey meatloaf is a flavorful and healthier alternative to traditional beef meatloaf. You can enhance the taste and texture of turkey meatloaf by adding a variety of ingredients that complement the lean turkey meat. Here are some ideas for ingredients to add into your turkey meatloaf:
- You can add finely diced onions, garlic, bell peppers, carrots, celery, and mushrooms add moisture and flavor to the mixture. Spinach, kale, or zucchini can also be finely chopped and added for extra nutrients.
- Shredded cheese, such as cheddar, mozzarella, or feta, adds creaminess and a touch of indulgence.
- Rolled oats, breadcrumbs (use whole wheat for added fiber), or cooked quinoa can help bind the meatloaf mixture and give it a desirable texture.
- Fresh or dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, and parsley add depth of flavor. Spices like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, and chili powder can add warmth and complexity.
- Sauces like ketchup with a bit of brown sugar, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, or hot sauce can contribute tanginess and savory notes.
- Add a few tbsp instead of an egg or brush on to the top 10 minutes before it’s done.
- Mashed potatoes, butternut squash, or cauliflower can be used instead of egg too for added moisture and nutrition.
- Chop nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pine nuts add crunch and richness. Seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds can provide texture and healthy fats.
- Substituting some of the fat with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese can keep the meat moist and creamy.
- Meatloaf Toppings
- Before baking, consider adding a layer of ketchup, barbecue sauce, or a glaze made with honey and mustard for a flavorful and caramelized top.
When adding ingredients, keep in mind the overall balance of flavors and textures you want to achieve. Feel free to experiment with different combinations to suit your taste preferences. Remember to consider the moisture content of the added ingredients to avoid an overly wet mixture.
Keep track of the quantities you add, as adding too many ingredients can make it too dense or crumbly. Balancing the ingredients will help you create a delicious and well-textured moist turkey meatloaf that’s packed with flavor.
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf in a Loaf Pan
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Meatloaf Wrapped Bacon
- aluminum foil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat, egg, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Form a loaf with the meat mixture. Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Lay bacon down slightly overlapping on a cutting board, set meat in middle and wrap around your loaf. Lay a large piece of foil down and set wrapped meatloaf in center. Fold up sides to create a sort of boat for it to sit in. Place foil boat in your preheated.
- Air fry at 380 F for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. If bacon begins to crisp around minute 40 and brown too quickly, simply cover top with the sides of your tin foil for the remainder of the cooking time.