Baked teriyaki chicken drumsticks with an easy homemade sweet and spicy sauce you’ll love! Moist chicken legs cooked in the oven in just about an hour.
These teriyaki chicken drumsticks are simple to make and full of flavor. Use bottled or whip up this sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce yourself that can be full of heat or mild if you choose. Either way it brings me back to my days in Hawaii and is one of our favorite healthy main dishes. (originally published 8/17, affiliate links present)
If you love all things teriyaki you’ll love these baked chicken legs marinated in an easy to make homemade sauce.
Teriyaki chicken drumsticks
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Chicken pieces – defrosted legs were used, if they’re not here is how to cook frozen chicken legs quickly
I prefer to get medium sized. If they are quite large it takes longer to cook through to the center and in my opinion the meat isn’t as tender.
- Brown Sugar
- Sriracha if you want a little or a lot of heat – tasty either way
- Sesame seeds optional
They sound pretty darn yummy right?? Here are a few questions you might have before you get started on this:
About 25 minutes. I prefer to bake at 375 instead for longer in order to make the inside meat more tender. To crisp chicken skin even more at the end you can put into your Ninja Foodi or air fryer for a few min.
That depends on how thick the legs are but typically from 25-60 minutes total. It is best to flip them halfway through so the meat cooks evenly.
I prefer to make my own, I share the recipe for that below and use it in our Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken recipe too. For a bottled marinade I like Veri Veri Teriyaki brand.
This isn’t a fancy meal, but that totally doesn’t describe my household. I love simple recipes that are easy to throw together, we all love, and if they are healthy that’s a major bonus!
This falls into all of these categories and since they are chicken legs they are quite inexpensive and with a side of rice or simple potato salad and some salad it is a complete meal that is just oh so yummy!
Of course you can use bottled teriyaki, this one is my favorite if I am in a rush, but really the homemade teriyaki sauce mix below is really simple to make and tastes amazing.
Basic steps to follow
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Mix together all ingredients well in a bowl. (or you can use 1 jar of teriyaki sauce if you don’t want to make your own). Put 1/2 c. aside to use later. Put drumsticks in a bowl or a gallon ziploc bag.
Pour sauce on top of chicken and put in fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours. Turn bag or stir chicken in bowl to rotate pcs. halfway thru if possible.
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper to prevent skin from sticking. Set chicken drumsticks on pan making sure not to overlap them.
Preheat oven at 375 degrees, put in on middle rack for 30 minutes. Turn drumsticks over and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Spoon 1-2 tbsp of teriyaki sauce on each chicken leg and put back in for 10-15 minutes or until golden color you desire is achieved.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
After you try these you should give these other chicken recipes a whirl:
- Instant Pot chicken legs
- These baked boneless chicken thighs
- Crockpot sticky teriyaki chicken
- This Instant Pot sesame chicken is killer too with some of the same flavors as you have here. Served with rice, everyone loves it here.
For something similar using a small kitchen appliance, give our air fryer marinated chicken breasts a whirl too!
Ensure juices run clear and check internal temperature before eating.
Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- Mix together all ingredients well in a bowl. (can use 1 jar of teriyaki sauce if you don’t want to make your own). Put 1/2 c. aside to use later.
- Put drumsticks in a bowl or a gallon ziploc bag.
- Pour sauce on top of chicken and put in fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours. Turn bag or stir chicken in bowl to rotate pcs. halfway thru if possible.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper to prevent skin from sticking.
- Set chicken drumsticks on pan making sure not to overlap them.
- Put in oven at 375 degrees, on middle rack, for 30 minutes.
- Turn drumsticks over and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of teriyaki sauce on each chicken leg and put back in for 10-15 minutes or until golden color you desire is achieved.