Baked teriyaki chicken drumsticks with an easy homemade sweet and spicy sauce you’ll love! Moist chicken legs cooked in the oven in just about an hour.
If you love all things teriyaki you’ll love these baked chicken legs marinated in an easy to make homemade sauce. These teriyaki chicken drumsticks are simple to make and full of flavor. Use bottled or whip up this sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce yourself that can be full of heat or mild if you choose. Either way it brings me back to my days in Hawaii and is one of our favorite healthy main dishes. (originally published 8/17, affiliate links present)
This is all you will need to make our homemade teriyaki chicken drumsticks and sauce:
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Chicken pieces – legs used
- Hoisin sauce
- Soy sauce
- Minced ginger
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Brown Sugar
- Sriracha if you want a little or a lot of heat – tasty either way
- Sesame seeds optional
They look so yummy right??
This isn’t a fancy meal, but that totally doesn’t describe my household. I love simple recipes that are easy to throw together, we all love, and if they are healthy that’s a major bonus!
This falls into all of these categories and since they are chicken legs they are quite inexpensive and with a side of rice or simple potato salad and some salad it is a complete meal that is just oh so yummy!
Of course you can use bottled teriyaki, this one is my favorite if I am in a rush, but really the homemade teriyaki sauce mix below is really simple to make and tastes amazing.
Basic steps to follow
- Whisk together ingredients to make homemade teriyaki sauce in a bowl or small saucepan, or use jarred.
- Marinade drumsticks in a gallon freezer bag using half of this sauce. Put in fridge for at least 2 hours. Could actually use chicken breasts the same way, but cook time will be longer.
- Preheat oven to 375 high heat and bake for 30 minutes, flip, bake 30 more minutes.
- Then spoon sauce over top of each one and continue cooking 10-15 minutes until browned and juices run clear.
After you try these you should give these other chicken recipes a whirl:
- Instant Pot chicken legs
- These baked boneless chicken thighs
- Crockpot sticky teriyaki chicken
- This Instant Pot sesame chicken is killer
Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- Mix together all ingredients well in a bowl. (can use 1 jar of teriyaki sauce if you don't want to make your own). Put 1/2 c. aside to use later.
- Put drumsticks in a bowl or a gallon ziploc bag.
- Pour sauce on top of chicken and put in fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours. Turn bag or stir chicken in bowl to rotate pcs. halfway thru if possible.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper to prevent skin from sticking.
- Set chicken drumsticks on pan making sure not to overlap them.
- Put in oven at 375 degrees, on middle rack, for 30 minutes.
- Turn drumsticks over and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of teriyaki sauce on each chicken leg and put back in for 10-15 minutes or until golden color you desire is achieved.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉